joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like 68 will be the high here. Accuweather had our record listed as 62 degrees from 1929, while local met Derick Fabert said we broke the record of 62 set back in 1991? Weird.

Maybe it was a tie between 1929 and 1991.  Sometimes that happens and only one year will be cited. 

Just hit 70 IMBY. Downtown Cleveland is currently sitting at 70 degrees as well with dewpoints flirting with 60. We'll see if CLE can catch up to BKL, but previous latest 70 degree on record was December 6. I can't believe it's mid December out there, this warmth is just unreal.

Warm.png

I don't think CLE got 70 today...but should be filtered sun and warmer mid-level temps tomorrow so good shot to do it then I think.

I don't think CLE got 70 today...but should be filtered sun and warmer mid-level temps tomorrow so good shot to do it then I think.

Looks like CLE did hit 70 degrees today. This smashes the previous record high of 63. Overnight low was also 52 so that makes a +28 departure for the day. This is also the latest in the year a 70 degree temp has been recorded in Cleveland, pushing the previous latest 70 degree day back by almost a week. It's even more crazy to think that tomorrow is forecast to also hit 70. Back to back 70 degree days in Cleveland in December? Incredible historical warmth going on right now. 

RECORD EVENT REPORT...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH

540 PM EST SAT DEC 12 2015

...RECORD HIGHS ACROSS NORTHERN OHIO AND NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 70 DEGREES WAS SET AT CLEVELAND

HOPKINS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AT 201 PM EST TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE

OLD RECORD OF 63 DEGREES SET IN 1949.

DTW is sitting at 60 degrees, one degree away from tying the record and we may still break it as there are some peeks of sun coming out now. Crazy, I'm getting ready for work and I see people out in their yards raking leaves and stuff with green grass and it's the middle of December. Reminds me of back in 1998 when I was a kid.

Tomorrow we should easily obliterate the record of 60.

And we all know what eventually came along in January... :popcorn:

Those are quite the warm highs to the east and south!

Fog and clouds here all day, high of 49°. N to NE winds kept it cool. Visibility back down around to a couple hundred feet.

Looks like ORD fell short of 60° too.

Edit: Pockets of near 0 visibility out there tonight. Had a really close call with a car coming over a hill that was over the center line! Yikes to say the least.

Looks like CLE did hit 70 degrees today. This smashes the previous record high of 63. Overnight low was also 52 so that makes a +28 departure for the day. This is also the latest in the year a 70 degree temp has been recorded in Cleveland, pushing the previous latest 70 degree day back by almost a week. It's even more crazy to think that tomorrow is forecast to also hit 70. Back to back 70 degree days in Cleveland in December? Incredible historical warmth going on right now.

RECORD EVENT REPORT...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH

540 PM EST SAT DEC 12 2015

...RECORD HIGHS ACROSS NORTHERN OHIO AND NORTHWEST PENNSYLVANIA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 70 DEGREES WAS SET AT CLEVELAND

HOPKINS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AT 201 PM EST TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE

OLD RECORD OF 63 DEGREES SET IN 1949.

Wow! Nice 2F infra-hour bump on a cloudy day but I'll take it.

Record warm low was 47...also broken. Tomorrow's record warm low is also 47 and there's a chance that's broken by 10 degrees!

Fog and clouds here all day, high of 49°. N to NE winds kept it cool. Visibility back down around to a couple hundred feet.

Edit: Pockets of near 0 visibility out there tonight. Had a really close call with a car coming over a hill that was over the center line! Yikes to say the least.

We've had an offshore flow here (east wind) and have been stuck in the mid 40s with fog and drizzle all day. The highest temp today has been 46 degrees. Much warmer to the south in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek where it has been at about 60 degrees.

Dang man, be careful. Dense fog makes me so nervous, worse than ice. Rolling down your windows in rural areas to hear if cars are coming is never fun.

We've had an offshore flow here (east wind) and have been stuck in the mid 40s with fog and drizzle all day. The highest temp today has been 46 degrees. Much warmer to the south in Kalamazoo and Battle Creek where it has been at about 60 degrees.

Dang man, be careful. Dense fog makes me so nervous, worse than ice. Rolling down your windows in rural areas to hear if cars are coming is never fun.

Luckily the driver was driving slower, but still it's a little hairy driving tonight.

Not hard to tell where the front stalled at. Showers firing up along it in IL.

Maybe tomorrow it will be in the 50s.

Ended up with 63 for the official high here in Detroit. Still 55/52 right now, incredible to have dew points in the low 50s. It will be something to see if we stay above 50 overnight, which we should unless we dry out a bit. I don't think we drop below 50 tomorrow at all so going with 66 and 51 for high and low tomorrow would break both records and would have an average of 58.5 rounding up to 59 which would be 28 above the normal for the day tomorrow. Just to put that in a frame of reference for Detroit, the last time we had a day that averaged 28 degrees above normal was the 3 day stretch of March 20th to 22nd in 2012.

And we all know what eventually came along in January... :popcorn:

Yep. When you have a pattern this warm and moist in place, all it takes is one half decent shot of cold air to create some magic this time of year... similar to what just a few weeks ago.

I'll never forget that winter in 1998, I was out riding my bike and it was nearly 70 degrees in the first week of December, and we didn't even get our first real flakes until the last day of the year...and then 2 days later a historic blizzard crippled the region and we went on to get clobbered a couple more times and had areas pushing 24"-30" of depth in the metro area.

Ended up with 63 for the official high here in Detroit. Still 55/52 right now, incredible to have dew points in the low 50s. It will be something to see if we stay above 50 overnight, which we should unless we dry out a bit. I don't think we drop below 50 tomorrow at all so going with 66 and 51 for high and low tomorrow would break both records and would have an average of 58.5 rounding up to 59 which would be 28 above the normal for the day tomorrow. Just to put that in a frame of reference for Detroit, the last time we had a day that averaged 28 degrees above normal was the 3 day stretch of March 20th to 22nd in 2012.

That tells you all you need to know.

It actually jumped up a degree this hour it looks like, 56/53.

Temp is on the rise as we creep past midnight.  Was down to 56 a few hours ago, but back up to 58 as winds have turned more southerly.  WAA FTW.  Should bump into the low 60s before daybreak.  MLI has already bumped back up to 61.

Looks like 2-3" of rain with this system per latest models.  

Impressive!

Our temp has surged to 59 as the front has made its northward move over the last few hours.  That's pretty wild when you remember the avg low is 15.

Wow, I didn't realize that there is that much temperature difference this time of year between you and me. Normals here for 12/12 are 37/23.

Temperature departures of greater than 25F in the last 5 years at DTW

March 15, 2012 +29F

March 16, 2012 +26F

March 19, 2012 +26F

March 20, 2012 +31F

March 21, 2012 +31F

March 22, 2012 +31F

January 7, 2014 -33F

January 28, 2014 -28F

February 15, 2015 -29F

February 16, 2015 -28F

February 19, 2015 -28F

February 20, 2015 -28F

Anomalies of 25F are generally the cutoff, as there are quite a few in the 20-25F range but greater than 25F is exceedingly rare. FWIW, there have been significantly more NEGATIVE departures in the 20-25F range than POSITIVE ones in the last 5 years.

For Detroit, I believe the greatest negative departures is -34F set several times, most recently January 19, 1994. The greatest positive departure is +38F on January 25, 1950.

Archived