• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

Well, some indications (not just the CFS lol) that this month may be a bit hostile for winter weather lovers.  Sustained winter weather may be hard to come by, though as we saw recently, there could be some wintry periods and downward trending averages means that it won't have to be super cold to snow.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, some indications (not just the CFS lol) that this month may be a bit hostile for winter weather lovers.  Sustained winter weather may be hard to come by, though as we saw recently, there could be some wintry periods and downward trending averages means that it won't have to be super cold to snow.

We lost the entire month of December last year, a very good chance this one might be toast as well.

Way too many storms buzz sawing their way into northern British Columbia -- cutting off our cold source.

December looks like it's going to try to out torch December 2014. There's been a lot of derision over the CFS for it's very warm winter look, but if we get an extremely warm December, we're very likely to end up well above normal for the winter even if January and February are near normal/relatively cold. Never say never in LR forecasting but last winter ended up as cold as it did mainly on the strength of the record February and that's very unlikely to occur this winter.

post-3997-144849248589.png

December looks like it's going to try to out torch December 2014. There's been a lot of derision over the CFS for it's very warm winter look, but if we get an extremely warm December, we're very likely to end up well above normal for the winter even if January and February are near normal/relatively cold. Never say never in LR forecasting but last winter ended up as cold as it did mainly on the strength of the record February and that's very unlikely to occur this winter.

attachicon.giftapatalk_1448492247292.png

Hey RC, are you guys at LOT going to do a winter forecast?

Hoosier, you jumped the gun on me starting the December thread. I had a good thing going by starting the November thread, which turned out to be pretty entertaining after a few dull months and was hoping to keep the streak going. The first couple of weeks don't look so good winter-wise, so we can blame you. lol

this is going to rule so hard

It's just going to feel like April... Nothing we don't experience 3 or 4 months out of the year already.

Minus the storms.

I'm loading up my work schedule for December, I'm writing off the first 3 weeks right of the top.

On the plus side, I'll probably make more money with the warmer temps, last December was a company record month.

It's just going to feel like April... Nothing we don't experience 3 or 4 months out of the year already.

Minus the storms.

I'm loading up my work schedule for December, I'm writing off the first 3 weeks right of the top.

On the plus side, I'll probably make more money with the warmer temps, last December was a company record month.

December has unanimously been pegged as the suckiest month of the coming winter by forecasters. I have a VERY busy month. While snow is always welcome I can say I honestly wouldn't have time to enjoy it as much as in Jan-Feb due to schedule. I just hope we get snow at Christmas.

December has unanimously been pegged as the suckiest month of the coming winter by forecasters. I have a VERY busy month. While snow is always welcome I can say I honestly wouldn't have time to enjoy it as much as in Jan-Feb due to schedule. I just hope we get snow at Christmas.

Quite a few also said as much about November too, but we got a couple of what I consider "best case scenarios".  The same could happen in December, but it's not looking good for the first part of the month.

Quite a few also said as much about November too, but we got a couple of what I consider "best case scenarios".  The same could happen in December, but it's not looking good for the first part of the month.

very true. By no means did I mean December would be a snowless torch, just that its definitely not going to be a wintry month. The Nov 21st snowstorm timing could NOT have been more perfect timing or perfect scenery for me personally. I got to basically spend the entire weekend enjoying snow. Sure, whatever snow we get in December I will enjoy, but between the busy times of the Christmas season, moving into a new house, and working M-F I will be busy busy busy.

very true. By no means did I mean December would be a snowless torch, just that its definitely not going to be a wintry month. The Nov 21st snowstorm timing could NOT have been more perfect timing or perfect scenery for me personally. I got to basically spend the entire weekend enjoying snow. Sure, whatever snow we get in December I will enjoy, but between the busy times of the Christmas season, moving into a new house, and working M-F I will be busy busy busy.

Congrats! 

I'm just curious to know, are you still going to be in Wyandotte / Downriver, or are you moving to another part of the metro area?

Congrats! 

I'm just curious to know, are you still going to be in Wyandotte / Downriver, or are you moving to another part of the metro area?

Wyandotte. Im buying my late grandpas house. Its one of those old houses (all hardwood floors, my favorite) with so much old-school charm, you cant get that in a newer house or condo. I thought about moving closer to Farmington Hills but I REALLY want this house.

Does anybody know what causes the sometimes ragged and inconsistent output with the GFS in some grid regions? Below is a 10m wind plot for an upcoming system and non-smooth values are very apparent on the southern fringe. Is this an issue with specifically the GFS? I've seen in occur with various other products including temperatures and upper level winds.

gfs_mslp_wind_us_22.png

Hoosier, you jumped the gun on me starting the December thread. I had a good thing going by starting the November thread, which turned out to be pretty entertaining after a few dull months and was hoping to keep the streak going. The first couple of weeks don't look so good winter-wise, so we can blame you. lol

attachicon.giftest8.gif

Yes, but I have serious storm thread cred, especially among the northern IL folks.  By the way, I got dibs on Dec 20-25.  :whistle:

After March ended, 2015 will go down as a real snooze for most people on this subforum.

My 16 inches has completely melted away. It was cool that it happened, but it lasted such a short amount of time that I'm downgrading its impact and final score in my "all-time book".

I'd have rather seen 8 inches stick around for a month as opposed to 16 inches melting in 3 days.

Sorry to the "Big Dog" lovers, they stink if they just melt away.

Yes, but I have serious storm thread cred, especially among the northern IL folks.  By the way, I got dibs on Dec 20-25.  :whistle:

Saved for posterity.

Getting the rain that the western sub got yesterday. Going to watch temps slloowwwwllly  side today after enjoying near-record temps for Thanksgiving. Precursor to early Dec. weather?

I'm thankful for the Bears beating the Packers, although in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't mean squat.

Another pre December freak out. Seems like every year some of us (including myself) panic prior to the start of met winter. Have to see what actually happens. Things can change fast.

Even if December is shot...it certainly doesn't mean the whole winter is shot, which is what a lot of the panic tends to get at (in fact a mild Dec has been pegged by most all along). Even a sucky December will likely yield a few snowfalls...and I'd rather them at Christmas than now (of course I'd rather nonstop snow and cold til april, but that's not how it works lol).

Even if December is shot...it certainly doesn't mean the whole winter is shot, which is what a lot of the panic tends to get at (in fact a mild Dec has been pegged by most all along). Even a sucky December will likely yield a few snowfalls...and I'd rather them at Christmas than now (of course I'd rather nonstop snow and cold til april, but that's not how it works lol).

I'd say if we're sitting here on January 20 without a transition to more consistent wintry weather or any signs of such on the horizon, then it's time to be concerned. 

Archived