SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I don't see a reason to bet on suppression for the forseeable future.  Can never say never with an individual storm but by and large, most storms should tend to run inland/cut.  It should be reasonably active in the region even if it's a struggle to get cold enough for snow.

On the flip side, look at yesterday. Was anyone online following that system with any sort of real interest?

Lets face it, it's snow/cold or nobody cares during DJF. We just had a real snooze of a year and we are looking at possibly 3 more straight months of boredom. 

On the flip side, look at yesterday. Was anyone online following that system with any sort of real interest?

Lets face it, it's snow/cold or nobody cares during DJF. We just had a real snooze of a year and we are looking at possibly 3 more straight months of boredom. 

Even if winter is subpar, I doubt it will be as bad as you're suggesting.  Should have some chances.  I'm with Stebo...give me precip and eventually something will work out.  It can't snow if there's no precip.

Even if winter is subpar, I doubt it will be as bad as you're suggesting. Should have some chances. I'm with Stebo...give me precip and eventually something will work out. It can't snow if there's no precip.

Yep, it would be something if we maintained above normal precipitation through the winter, that would buck the El Nino trends for the region.

Pretty crazy that BUF hasn't had snow.  By now you'd think they would've picked up some lake effect by accident.

Interestingly Akron-Canton (CAK) is also looking at a similar delayed start to the accumulating snow season. I would have thought there'd be more years where they wouldn't have had measurable snowfall by December, but there are only 4. 

Latest first measurable snowfalls for CAK:

Dec 2nd, 1985

Dec 8th, 2009

Dec 16th, 1998

Dec 25th, 2001

It's been 273 days since CLE last recorded an inch of snow. The longest gaps between 1 inch snowfalls at CLE:

291 days - 2012

282 days - 1998

281 days - 2006

275 days - 1995

CLE should easily move into the second longest stretch between 1 inch snowfalls, but would have to make it to December 17th to have the longest such gap.

Certainly some snow futility going on in the eastern Great Lakes right now.

Interestingly Akron-Canton (CAK) is also looking at a similar delayed start to the accumulating snow season. I would have thought there'd be more years where they wouldn't have had measurable snowfall by December, but there are only 4. 

Latest first measurable snowfalls for CAK:

Dec 2nd, 1985

Dec 8th, 2009

Dec 16th, 1998

Dec 25th, 2001

It's been 273 days since CLE last recorded an inch of snow. The longest gaps between 1 inch snowfalls at CLE:

291 days - 2012

282 days - 1998

281 days - 2006

275 days - 1995

CLE should easily move into the second longest stretch between 1 inch snowfalls, but would have to make it to December 17th to have the longest such gap.

Certainly some snow futility going on in the eastern Great Lakes right now.

And long term doesn't look good for strong El Ninos for white on X-mas.

12301700_1155419511154402_16124280326537

Even if winter is subpar, I doubt it will be as bad as you're suggesting. Should have some chances. I'm with Stebo...give me precip and eventually something will work out. It can't snow if there's no precip.

I would tend to agree. We have already had a very impressive November snowstorm in the region this year, we are on an excellent run of snowy winters regardless of the pattern (snowfall avg is noticeably increasing), and the jet is juiced with a volatile el nino in place. Will Detroit look like Barrow meets Marquette as it has the last 2 winters? Absolutely not. The chance is very real we have a subpar winter. But will there be plenty of chances thus winter? Absolutely!

Looking back to see what it was on Christmas Eve and Day here in 1997. There was a dusting of snow with light LES on the Eve.

Except for being a blow torch on the 10th (69°), and in the 40s from the 14th-18th, it was typical temp wise - precip another story.

Looking back to see what it was on Christmas Eve and Day here in 1997. There was a dusting of snow with light LES on the Eve.

Except for being a blow torch on the 10th (69°), and in the 40s from the 14th-18th, it was typical temp wise - precip another story.

There was a synoptic system on the 24th...heaviest totals were farther west but a couple inches in Chicago.  I remember it well...started ripping fat flakes in the afternoon.

Christmas Eve storm of 97 was one of my favorite snowstorms as it happened on xmas eve.  Started sleeting later in the morning, and then quickly shifted over to very heavy snowfall all afternoon into the evening.  Was a very wet snow, but it added up to over 8" IIRC.  I was living in the QC at the time.

There was a synoptic system on the 24th...heaviest totals were farther west but a couple inches in Chicago.  I remember it well...started ripping fat flakes in the afternoon.

Now I remember that one. I saw the aftermath of it - was out of town up in Madison I believe.

I remember the snow being frozen solid like a rock when I got home.

Dec 10, 1997 featured my favorite snowstorm of that 97-98 winter here. At 5" it was the biggest of the season. You sure it was 69F there? :lol:

Here are White Christmases at Detroit during El Ninos. Cant stress enough though this is purely anecdotal, as any random day can have anything. Can have white Christmases in the worst winters and bare Christmases in the best.

STRONG

Dec 25….snow…snowdepth

1877 ------ 0 ------ 0

1888 ------ 0 ------ 0

1896 ------ T ------ 5

1899 ------ T ------ T

1902 ----- 3.3 ----- 7

1940 ------ 0 ------ 0

1957 ------ 0 ------ 0

1972 ------ 0 ------ 0

1982 ------ 0 ------ 0

1991 ------ 0 ------ 0

1997 ------ T ------ 0

MOD

Dec 25….snow…snowdepth

1911 ------ 0 ------ 0

1914 ------ 0 ------ 8

1918 ------ T ------ 0

1925 ----- 3.6 ----- 4

1930 ------ 0 ------ 3

1941 ------ 0 ------ 0

1965 ----- 0.5 ----- T

1968 ------ 0 ------ T

1986 ------ 0 ------ 0

1987 ------ 0 ------ 0

1994 ------ 0 ------ 0

2002 ----- 3.8 ----- 5

2006 ------ 0 ------ 0

2009 ------ 0 ------ T

WEAK

Dec 25….snow…snowdepth

1904 ------ T ------ 1

1905 ----- 0.4 ----- T

1923 ----- 1.0 ----- 1

1939 ------ 0 ------ 0

1951 ----- 6.2 ---- 13

1953 ------ 0 ------ T

1963 ------ T ------ 3

1969 ------ T ------ 3

1976 ------ T ------ T

1977 ------ T ------ T

2004 ------ T ------ 6

CFS locked in a torch December on its last daily run of November and has been very consistent with that depiction. The past few runs did transition to more of a -PNA look on the 2m anomaly map, most notably on the 11/30 run.

Sent from my SM-G900V

11/30 run had the heat focused slightly more east with more prominent cool anomalies in the south west US.

Sizzlin'

75700lQ.gif

Cfs weeklies show those insane warm anamolies really scouring out by christmas. Will be interesting to see if this translates to a perfectly timed cold and snow shot.

11/29 run you referred to, after going back to appearing more Niñaish like much of November has been in week 3, almost looks more like the straight strong Niño composite in week 4 with lower heights implied across the southern tier of the US. On the 500 mb plot, still have the positive height anomalies from the northern Plains to off the east coast. No end in sight to the raging +NAO and +AO either.

11/29 run you referred to, after going back to appearing more Niñaish like much of November has been in week 3, almost looks more like the straight strong Niño composite in week 4 with lower heights implied across the southern tier of the US. On the 500 mb plot, still have the positive height anomalies from the northern Plains to off the east coast. No end in sight to the raging +NAO and +AO either.

I dont put much faith in the cfs, so I pretty much just glance at temp anomaly maps on tropicaltidbits. Definitely didnt analyze it lol.

Archived