• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

If the polar vortex remains strong or rebuilds each time it is weakened and the Aleutian low does not retrograde, that will be a very disturbing situation. So far, no meaningful stratospheric warming events appear likely through at least the next 10 days.

We're slowly seeing the folks that called for pattern change to begin in early Jan..now  pushing it back to mid Jan.. Setting it up in such a way that only the astute observer would notice. You hope they are correct..but given how stable the pattern is globally that is very much up in the air. Everything is completely locked into place..there doesn't appear to be any SSW, and the ridge north of us  has been there since late April. if these big flips in Jan are to happen we'd better start seeing it on the modeling in the coming 15 days.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol at the 11/12 comparison . The calls for the pattern change were failing in early and mid Jan in 2012 . You are in a warm December pattern , that is all and should shock no one.

There has been zero calls here for a pattern change this December by any serious person on this board , to the contrary a warm December was called for NYC back in July and most expect this NOT to change through early Jan .

Let me say this again there is no pattern change in our immediate future .

So this is becoming a dumber argument every time it is used.

Some of us believe you will start to see this pattern evolve around mid Jan .

So there's your forecast , so please come back in mid Jan with that crap

Better not hope it starts to evolve in mid January, it may not fully change until 2/15 at that rate.... :whistle:   Maybe I'm being antsy, but I'd like to see meaningful changes by 1/1-5

This pattern has and continues to be extremely stable. It's not going to just collapse in a few days and there aren't any signs of any changes for the foreseeable future.

If anything the eastern ridge is only going to grower stronger and more expansive.

There is always the chance it just locks in and any change ends up being weak sauce that ridge is unreal though going back to April....we just don't know at this point.

Better not hope it starts to evolve in mid January, it may not fully change until 2/15 at that rate.... :whistle:   Maybe I'm being antsy, but I'd like to see meaningful changes by 1/1-5

Jan 1. No shot.

Jan 10 thru 15 is where you should start to see some differences at 500 .

You are probably AN to this extent through the 5th

We're slowly seeing the folks that called for pattern change to begin in early Jan..now  pushing it back to mid Jan.. Setting it up in such a way that only the astute observer would notice. You hope they are correct..but given how stable the pattern is globally that is very much up in the air. Everything is completely locked into place..there doesn't appear to be any SSW, and the ridge north of us  has been there since late April. if these big flips in Jan are to happen we'd better start seeing it on the modeling in the coming 15 days.

I thought this winter would be a modified version of what happened in 1965-66 but with shorter-duration and less severe blocking, so we'll see what happens. I recognize that a worse outcome can't be ruled out, but I'm not yet ready to concede such an outcome. Of course, I could be wrong.

I thought this winter would be a modified version of what happened in 1965-66 but with shorter-duration and less severe blocking, so we'll see what happens. I recognize that a worse outcome can't be ruled out, but I'm not yet ready to concede such an outcome. Of course, I could be wrong.

Agree...time will tell...in such duds as 01-02, 05-06, 11-12 the pattern change never came despite calls for a colder and snowier regime.  In others,  93-94, 06-07, 12-13, 14-15 it came and with a vengeance.

There is always the chance it just locks in and any change ends up being weak sauce that ridge is unreal though going back to April....we just don't know at this point.

I think this is a valid concern. NOT saying it happens, just a concern. I mean, there has been some research about an increasingly warm background state causing more persistent weather patterns hasn't there? Just like we had the unreal -EPO stretch in recent years. I don't see why we couldn't see the opposite at some point. Again, not saying this is that point just a thought. I still think we turn it around.

Didn't Dec 2001 level off 2nd half compared to first.

Yeah it was relatively stale cold air though because there was a massive GOA low if I remember right. The NAO went very negative which caused it to be somewhat cold but considering the pattern it wasn't that chilly. Buffalo had that insane lake effect event during it

1. 44.1°, 2001.....39.9.....40.6.....44.1

2. 43.8°, 1984.....28.8.....36.6.....45.8

43.6°, 2006.....37.5.....28.2.....42.2

43.3°, 2011.....37.3.....40.9.....50.9

43.2°, 1998.....33.9.....38.9.....42.5

42.8°, 1982.....34.5.....36.4.....44.0

42.6°, 1990.....34.9.....40.0.....44.6

42.3°, 1891.....31.5.....33.4.....34.2

42.2°, 1994.....37.5.....31.6.....45.0

42.0°, 1923.....32.7.....28.9.....39.2

I added Jan/Feb/Mar average temp...blue is cold...red is warm...black is near average...

Yeah it was relatively stale cold air though because there was a massive GOA low if I remember right. The NAO went very negative which caused it to be somewhat cold but considering the pattern it wasn't that chilly. Buffalo had that insane lake effect event during it

Looking back that's how you knew we were screwed...got the trough and the -NAO and it was average temps at best.   Just no cold air anywhere on our side of the globe.

Archived