joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it makes it to a Cat 4;  we'd stil be looking at 80-85 mph winds by the time it got up here, with 7-10 more inches of rain and a waterlogged ground.

Crap...

Yes, this would be a true disaster, but considering we have no model agreement I am sure it will change.  For those who didn't see my puzzled smiley face, yes I was being sarcastic on "this would be fun".  We need to start rooting for a OTS miss.

If it makes it to a Cat 4; we'd stil be looking at 80-85 mph winds by the time it got up here, with 7-10 more inches of rain and a waterlogged ground.

Crap...

Exactly, a Cat 4 at that tracks is terrible for the state. Damned if we do, damned if we don't according to how I'm seeing the models. It either skirts the state and we get copious, revord shattering amounts of rain or direct hit that puts much of if not the entire state in hurricane and tropical Storm wind fields coupled with not as record breaking rainfall amounts.

If Joaquin rains himself out inland we're all gonna be in trouble.  This run is disaster for most of NC/VA.

Yeah this gfs run is a real monster with regards to flooding, which really would likely be historic if it followed the gfs track., Such a path on the gfs would certainly produce potentially prolific upslope flow on top of the usual heavy rains with such a system and it honestly scares me to see think about how much rain could potentially fall over the carolinas, in particular the mountains, with such an unusual track and speed.

Interesting to see the Models continue to be every so slightly further southwest with the upper low which would mean the axis of heavy rains ahead of joaquin ends up further west...which obviously would be pretty big for us in the far western carolinas and north ga.

This would be fun... :huh:

CR Jackpot!  The highest wind signal on the map is almost literally right over my house on that image.  The Euro will be very telling this afternoon.  These large shifts make me think that by the time it's all said and done, central NC will be out of the danger zone.  I still think locally 5" of rain makes the most sense right now.  I would expect to see the extreme totals be reduced in later runs, not that 10" would be out of the question.

Decisions, decisions... To possibly chase this one on the coast or follow the potential for heavy flooding in the mountains.. If I didn't have a boat load of thermodynamics hw then the decision would be easy. Anyone else considering chasing? If it verifies like the GFS suggests, this one could in my opinion be almost too dangerous to chase.

Archived