joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Navgem has run two back to back runs with little change and it is the worst one out there for NC....but its the Navgem so for entertainment purposes here is the 00Z and 06Z plots for landfall

00Z

attachicon.gifnavgem_mslp_pcpn_us_00.png

06Z

attachicon.gifnavgem_mslp_pcpn_us_12.png

Yikes.... The next frame (hour 78) on the 6Z NAVGEM has a 982 over Boone. :flood:  :loon:  

There could be some crazy temp swings the next few days. Take RDU as example; we're currently in a warm tropical air mass, a cold front comes through later today dropping the temps, tomorrows highs may be at mid-night tonight, tomorrow and Friday may stay in the 50s, then if the hurricane does move close as models depict we'll move back into a tropical air mass for a time.  

This GFS 500mb says a lot.

The upper low to the SW of the Carolinas can easily pull Joaquin inland.

I assume the extreme rainfall the models are putting out for a swath of the Carolinas is due to the interaction of Joaquin with the Upper Low.    I would take those extreme swaths of 20" plus rain with a grain of salt now but sure bears watching !

QiPzXQ0.png

6pktxr1.png

Big player is going to be how much the heavy precipitation out ahead of Joaquin builds the downstream ridge that is forecasted to steer it onshore. Below, you can see strong diabatic building of the downstream ridge at 72hrs in the 6z GFS.

attachicon.gifGFS_2015093006_f72.png

Super cool graphic. Didn't know if that was easily measurable

For those considering a Fran track...2 days before landfall v/s what GFS is modeling in 60 hours....

Interesting...that ULL is key, I live at 500mb during winter but with a hurricane involved I'm kinda at a loss. I don't know what to believe, maybe we'll see some ingestion tonight at 18z and 0z and get a clearer picture, but probably not. If it does pull inland the spaghetti charts are useless right now.

Interesting...that ULL is key, I live at 500mb during winter but with a hurricane involved I'm kinda at a loss. I don't know what to believe, maybe we'll see some ingestion tonight at 18z and 0z and get a clearer picture, but probably not. If it does pull inland the spaghetti charts are useless right now.

Looking at the individual members from the GEFS/EPS...it's a 180 degree cone, there a couple of clusters in that but it's anywhere and everywhere at this point.  The fact that the best model on the planet has this escaping OTS has to mean something.  

Archived