joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's assume Cat 4 status is achieved,  I have heard that storms of this strength tend to alter the dynamics around them (road grader so to speak).  What do we see are the options for impacting the trajectory of a Cat 4 storm?  Would it push the ULL out of the way in the SE?  Would a Fujiwhara effect with the LP to the east be possible?  And is there precedent with other strong storms where we can show that models called the impact (of external WX features) correctly?  It just seems to me that with RI tonight / tomorrow we could quickly be in uncharted territory with a home grown coastal system.

Decisions, decisions... To possibly chase this one on the coast or follow the potential for heavy flooding in the mountains.. If I didn't have a boat load of thermodynamics hw then the decision would be easy. Anyone else considering chasing? If it verifies like the GFS suggests, this one could in my opinion be almost too dangerous to chase.

I wouldn't chase on the coast.  A cat 4 with that type of surge plus all the major rivers draining off this weekend's rain event is going to be really bad.  Picking a good spot and shielding yourself against 100+ mph wind is one thing.  But you can't shield from massive flooding....

Decisions, decisions... To possibly chase this one on the coast or follow the potential for heavy flooding in the mountains.. If I didn't have a boat load of thermodynamics hw then the decision would be easy. Anyone else considering chasing? If it verifies like the GFS suggests, this one could in my opinion be almost too dangerous to chase.

I still haven't totally ruled out a chase  but I share your concerns over the amount and large area of extreme rainfall. I have no desire to end a chase by being picked up by helicopter from the top of an oak tree while my car floats toward the Pamlico Sound.

All eyes on the Euro. To think yesterday its ensembles, The euro's had exactly what all the 12z suite has spit out today. Yet the 0z Op hashad a bad hiccup or stroke of genuis, we'll see in a few.

Anyway saw this posted on another board. Check out the towers, thunderstorms getting way up high. Just more proof RI is going on.

4931.gif

I wouldn't chase on the coast.  A cat 4 with that type of surge plus all the major rivers draining off this weekend's rain event is going to be really bad.  Picking a good spot and shielding yourself against 100+ mph wind is one thing.  But you can't shield from massive flooding....

Or the tree damage. After Isabel, it was pretty much impassible along hwy 64 from Manteo to Williamston, not to mention the hwy 17 corridor or 158 up through Currituck. I was living in Kill Devil Hills then, worling at a motel that housed nothing but linemen... power, cable TV, phone. Heard enough war stories from them after they'd come back from their 18 hours in the field for a few hours sleep.

I've been digging through historical hurricane carolina landfall tracks and find little precedent for that kind of motion - only Hurricane #3 in 1911 comes close.

attachicon.gifC1-C5 carolina hurricanes.jpg

attachicon.gif1911_Atlantic_hurricane_3_track.png

I have seen numerous canes sit off our coast a drift move SW. Dennis that preceeded Floyd really sticks out in my mind. Just rare that its after official landfall. 

MODEL DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION

NWS WEATHER PREDICTION CENTER COLLEGE PARK MD

107 PM EDT WED SEP 30 2015

VALID SEP 30/1200 UTC THRU OCT 04/0000 UTC

...SEE NOUS42 KWNO (ADMNFD) FOR THE STATUS OF THE UPPER AIR

INGEST...

EVALUATION OF 12Z NAM/GFS ALONG WITH INITIAL PREFERENCES/FORECAST

CONFIDENCE...

EAST COAST DEVELOPMENTS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PREFERENCE: NON NAM CONSENSUS

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

COMPLEX PATTERN ACROSS THE EAST WITH AN UPEPR LOW DEVELOPING OVER

THE SOUTHEAST HELPING PULL MOISTURE AND PRECIPITATION CONNECTED

WITH JOAQUIN INLAND. MODELS ARE IN PRETTY GOOD AGREEMENT WITH

REGARDS STO THIS UPPER LOW...AND HAVE BEEN TRENDING SOUTHWEST WITH

ITS POSITION. UNCERTAINTY INCREASES WITH REGARDS TO HOW THIS LOW

INTERACTS WITH JOAQUIN. BUT ONE TREND HAS BEEN FOR A FURTHER SOUTH

POSITION NEAR THE BAHAMAS WITH JOAQUIN...WHICH COMBINED WITH THE

FURTHER SOUTHWEST UPPER LOW HELPS INCREASE THE HEAVY RAINFALL

THREAT FURTHER SOUTHWEST INTO THE CAROLINAS THAN PREVIOUSLY

FORECAST. SEE THE QPF DISCUSSION FOR MORE DETAILS ON THIS. IN

GENERAL IT SEEMS LIKE A 12Z GFS AND 0Z ECMWF CONSENSUS WOULD

SUFFICE FOR THIS PORTION OF THE FORECAST. THE 12Z NAM IS AN

OUTLIER IN HOW IT HANDLES JOAQUIN WHICH PROBABLY MAKES IT LESS

RELIABLE OVER THE EAST THROUGH THE PERIOD.

WITH REGARDS TO JOAQUIN...LARGE UNCERTAINTY EXISTS...WITH THE 0Z

ECMWF KEEPING IT OUT TO SEE AND THE 12Z GFS AND 0Z UKMET/CMC

BRINGING IT INTO THE MID ATLANTIC SUNDAY OR MONDAY. THIS FORECAST

IS LIKELY HIGHLY DEPENDENT ON HOW FAR SOUTHWEST INTO THE BAHAMAS

THE SYSTEM TRACKS OVER THE NEXT COUPLE DAYS AND THUS WHETHER IT

CAN SLINGSHOT AROUND THE UPEPR LOW INTO THE CONUS...OR IS SHOVED

OUT TO SEA. ECMWF ENSEMBLE DATA SHOWS TWO DISTINCT CAMPS...ONE

CLOSER TO THE GFS AND ONE CLOSER TO THE ECMWF. GIVEN THE SPREAD

AND UNCERTAINTY...A CONSENSUS SOLUTION WAS PREFERRED. THE 11 AM

NHC TRACK PUTS THE SYSTEM JUST OFF THE DE COAST MONDAY

MORNING...SEE THE NHC DISCUSSION FOR MORE DETAILS.

CMC is just sick for this area and I-40 as has been noted. How many times do hurricanes hit the NC coast and do a complete left turn going due west? 

I couldn't find an example in the NOAA database from 1853-present. The closest I was found was one that hit SC and went west.

EDIT: Hurricane #4 from 1913 was a Cat 1 that did that.

w_logo.png
usagov_logo_color_110w_30h.gif    

Hurricane JOAQUIN Public Advisory Home   Public Adv   Fcst Adv   Discussion   Wind Probs   Graphics   Archive  

000WTNT31 KNHC 301744TCPAT1BULLETINHURRICANE JOAQUIN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER  11ANWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL112015200 PM EDT WED SEP 30 2015...JOAQUIN CONTINUING TO STRENGTHEN...SUMMARY OF 200 PM EDT...1800 UTC...INFORMATION----------------------------------------------LOCATION...24.4N 72.9WABOUT 190 MI...305 KM ENE OF THE CENTRAL BAHAMASMAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...135 KM/HPRESENT MOVEMENT...SW OR 230 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/HMINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...968 MB...28.58 INCHESWATCHES AND WARNINGS--------------------CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:None.SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...* Central Bahamas including Cat Island, the Exumas, Long Island,Rum Cay, and San Salvador.A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...* Northwestern Bahamas including the Abacos, Berry Islands, Bimini,Eleuthera, Grand Bahama Island, and New Providence, but excludingAndros IslandA Hurricane Warning means that hurricane conditions are expectedsomewhere within the warning area. Preparations to protect life andproperty should be rushed to completion.A Hurricane Watch means that hurricane conditions are possiblewithin the watch area.For storm information specific to your area, please monitorproducts issued by your national meteorological service.DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK------------------------------At 200 PM EDT (1800 UTC), the center of Hurricane Joaquin waslocated near latitude 24.4 North, longitude 72.9 West. Joaquin ismoving toward the southwest near 6 mph (9 km/h).  A general motiontoward the west-southwest or southwest is expected to continuethrough tonight.  A turn toward the northwest and a decrease inforward speed are forecast Thursday or Thursday night.  The centerof Joaquin is expected to move near or over portions of the centralBahamas tonight and Thursday.Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 85 mph (135 km/h)with higher gusts.  Additional strengthening is expected, andJoaquin could become a major hurricane during the next couple ofdays.Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 35 miles (55 km) from thecenter and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 125 miles(205 km).The estimated minimum central pressure is 968 mb (28.58 inches).

Archived