• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

The Euro and the other model camps are all pretty close for the first 24 hrs or so its after it begins to move north again that they differ.  I would expect some wavering on the other models as the strength of the ULL and high vary run to run but they should begin to have smaller adjustments as they get a handle on the complex nature of the setup.....

One thing to keep in mind is that the north and east sides on storms that landfall in this setup are usually pretty darn bad ( think Hugo and Fran) over a larger than normal area due to the pressure gradient with the blocking high, and in this case a rather strong blocking high so I suspect if the GFS track where to happen as ran on the 12Z you would see gust to hurricane force or better for most of the central and eastern half of NC assuming it comes in around 85-100knts and it hits between ILM and Lookout moving NW....or even WNW like the last GFS ran showed ( 18Z going now )

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro is out to lunch guys, come on, let it go. This is not going out to sea with the blocking setting up over Canada and the NW atlantic. TIme to start figuring out where this will hit land. I think the cone is from far southern VA to northern SC on a WNW heading.

ouch....the bad boy comes in around ILM as a Cat 3 tracking WNW everything from Fayette-Nam to G-Vegas to RDU to the Triad and down to Charlotte is gonna get plastered....

Euro is out to lunch guys, come on, let it go. This is not going out to sea with the blocking setting up over Canada and the NW atlantic. TIme to start figuring out where this will hit land. I think the cone is from far southern VA to northern SC on a WNW heading.

Yep sure looks like its  gonna be Fran part duex.........maybe not as strong as Fran but a ass kicker for a lot of NC regardless....18Z out to 48 identical to 12Z

Yep sure looks like its  gonna be Fran part duex.........maybe not as strong as Fran but a ass kicker for a lot of NC regardless....18Z out to 48 identical to 12Z

I'm not so sure it won't make it to Fran country....there is a LOT of very warm water between the NC Coast and Joaquin with good conditions for intensification...

Well the fact it didnt go any further south may be a indicator that NC is indeed goin to take the landfall, there will be wobbles every run but Myrtle Beach to VA Beach seems to be where all the models are homing in ( well except the Euro) and we are almost inside 3 days. It can of course shift but unlike other setups where we have a recurving a recurving setup ( Bertha, Fran, Floyd, Irene, Bonnie etc) this setup will prevent that and its more a matter of how far up the coast it gets before hooking left ( Hugo, Fran, Isabel).

Well the fact it didnt go any further south may be a indicator that NC is indeed goin to take the landfall, there will be wobbles every run but Myrtle Beach to VA Beach seems to be where all the models are homing in ( well except the Euro) and we are almost inside 3 days. It can of course shift but unlike other setups where we have a recurving a recurving setup ( Bertha, Fran, Floyd, Irene, Bonnie etc) this setup will prevent that and its more a matter of how far up the coast it gets before hooking left ( Hugo, Fran, Isabel).

The ULL to the SW and the big high to the north are certainly reminiscent of those classic Carolina hurricanes that get far inland (Hazel, Hugo, Fran, Isabel). The big difference with Joaquin and those storms is that it's forecast to move slowly after landfall (if it makes landfall and doesn't catch the mid-Atlantic trough as the Euro indicates). One slow tracker more like Joaquin was Dennis 1999, although that was only an upper-end TS.

18z GFS had further north landfall because Joaquin escaped to the east a hair between hours 60-72, not sure if it was due to ULL being a little slower.

Those are the kind of nuances that are going to be hard to nail down even 24 hrs out so I expect to see the models float around with landfall location but I think the big long moves are done and we will see it move back and forth over NC southern VA and maybe even N SC the next couple of days. Hopefully its Cat 2 or less I like a cane but I got my limits and Fran was a pretty wild ride and I am not sure I want to do that again.

Really looks like somewhere between Myrtle Beach and Virginia Beach will get hit. The NHC is starting to move the track further west, even with the Euro solution. This looks like it could be really bad, too. I saw a few people mention Fran. If I remember correctly, it intensified quickly before it made landfall. 

Seems most models are still thinking a left turn after landfall is gonna happen. This really complicates things for local mets because theres just so many possibilities how can you even begin to prepare? Tell everyone to be ready for flooding rains and high winds? 

If we are on the SW side of the circ then i'm not confident at all about what conditions we might see. We went through the southwestern eye with isabel, we cleared out and even saw the hurricane hunter plane and we only had gusts to low 50's while 35 miles north had gusts well into the 90's

Fishel is really holding on to the Euro.  He says that he's not convinced it isn't wrong yet, considering its domination over the American model in recent years.

It might end up being right, but sure is risky to take those odds when it is the only one showing it going out to sea. It is not perfect, either. I would rather err on the side of caution and it end up being wrong and going out to sea than say the Euro is right.

Fishel is really holding on to the Euro.  He says that he's not convinced it isn't wrong yet, considering its domination over the American model in recent years.

I agree with him and tons of others do too.  The NHC's track even gives it credit.  The Euro is a good model and it's ensembles are mostly saying the same thing as the operational.  Credit definitely has to be given to it.  We are going to have a lot more data into the 00z suite tonight on our American models.  Lets see if they even hint at a more East track.  If they do, Euro very well could score big.  We are talking 51 ensemble members basically agreeing with their operational... maybe a few not on board..

But of course, tonight's 00z Euro run could come way more West and give up the fight.

Archived