• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

This is where NHC "splitting the difference" doesn't seem to really work, does it? I mean, either Joaquin is captured or not. There isn't really a "semi-capture" scenario, is there?

Pretty much....the scenario is akin to trying to roll a ball along a ridge line...either it falls to one side or the other....and the chance of "riding the ridge line" is very small..

...that said...we are in model land....so the depictions, as such, of a sensitive setup, could change (orientation or strength of trough, no Ida interaction, major reduction of the amplitude of the blocking pattern, etc.)...and make this less of a "ball riding the ridge" scenario

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z ECMWF appears to be do what Joe Bastardi alluded to mid morning today.

Stalls Joaquin to the SW of where it is now.

The upper low now to the NNW never picks it up and brings it inland.

Then a path for Joaquin is opened up to the NE and it scoots out to see NE from the Bahamas.

Is it right?   I don't know.

Only a hunch:  65% chance that it is right.

12z ECMWF appears to be do what Joe Bastardi alluded to mid morning today.

Stalls Joaquin to the SW of where it is now.

The upper low now to the NNW never picks it up and brings it inland.

Then a path for Joaquin is opened up to the NE and it scoots out to see NE from the Bahamas.

Is it right?   I don't know.

Only a hunch:  65% chance that it is right.

It's probably right, Euro is the best for a reason.  We (NC) tend to just big winter storms and catastrophic hurricanes, we have just been lucky.

I still haven't totally ruled out a chase but I share your concerns over the amount and large area of extreme rainfall. I have no desire to end a chase by being picked up by helicopter from the top of an oak tree while my car floats toward the Pamlico Sound.

Yeah me either. Considering the amount of rainfall we have had and the winds that could be possible, it might be nearly impossible for me to get back to WNC for a few days after the storm passes so I will probably just monitor flooding up here if it were to happen.

So what's the precedence for this type of model spread on a hurricane (Euro -- Bermuda; rest of the models -- N.C.) in the 3-4 day range. How the heck do you warn for something like this if you are NHC?

Seriously, it's getting the same with these tropical systems as it is with forecasting the path of winter storms here.

regardless of the track of the hurricane, good grief it creams the carolinas with extreme rainfall totals. Whoever gets under that axis of rainfall is going to get absolutely hammered. Over a foot easy. Incredible gradient too...a foot plus in the upstate roughly centered from gsp to charlotte to less than an inch here in north ga between hours 48 and 120.

regardless of the track of the hurricane, good grief it creams the carolinas with extreme rainfall totals. Whoever gets under that axis of rainfall is going to get absolutely hammered. Over a foot easy. Incredible gradient too...a foot plus in the upstate roughly centered from gsp to charlotte to less than an inch here in north ga between hours 48 and 120.

Either way it seems we get a whole bunch of flooding rain, or less flooding but with wind and downed trees.

Archived