joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Joaquin 2015

Solak

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

honestly if i was you i'd start getting nervous a little by now since even south carolina is now in the game for a possible landfall at this point..which the jma of all models had progged the last 2 runs interestingly enough. it's crazy how far west the models keep trending...and this is with the sampling data. i'm sure nc is still the likely area but each run just keeps trending further.

11L_tracks_latest.png

I'm already nervous. The trends continue west all day and if the Euro caves, it's looking more likely that the Carolinas are in for a potential disaster. So much for a quiet El Nino driven hurricane season.

Ive been watching WRAL weather for 2 days and they have been and still do have J curving OTS. I trust them over any of these "models". This thing is not coming inland unless its in N.E.

What do you think they use? The o ly reason Fishel said that is because he likes the Euro more than the other ones. Maybe he is right, but that is not what the odds are favoring now. The Euro is all on it's own.

Duh i know they use the models ........as well as a little logic. The models that so many people on here gag over are just that-models. 20 of em show 20 different things. This thing aint hitting NC or SC and u can take that to the bank my friend. Dont need a model for that.

Part of the whole reason the board exists is to follow the model runs. They are not all the same, but all of them but one now show a hit in NC. So thry are not showing 20 different things.

So how do you know it isn't going to hit?

No, and I can't think of a 4 that has ever hit NC if you're a stickler for Hazel officially having made landfall about a mile south of the border.

Was there any other 4?

No Hazel is the only Cat 4 that is credited for landfalling in NC, well since records were kept I am sure there have been others in the last 500 yrs or so lol.....so its pretty rare. With this setup I would think 110-125 mph would be top end potential for a landfall, with the setup if things did come together just right with ULL venting and strong tropical feed and stupid warm waters ... I wouldn't call for it just yet but its just as likely as it coming in as a weak Cat 1 IMO......

I've heard about 20 different explanations, from reputable people, for the Euro's out-to-sea solution. Levi Cowan's (also elaborated by Ground Scouring in the main thread) makes the most sense to me -- he notes that the Euro members that kick it east show a smaller/weaker storm. A smaller storm would be less susceptible to feeling the influence from the ULL to the west. While I don't have access to Euro convective/precip/cloud extent, its SLP field for Joaquin does look noticeably more compact than that shown on the GFS.

Whether or not that's the only reason for the Euro's eastward push or there are other subtle differences in the ridge/trough depictions at play is anyone's guess.

Part of the whole reason the board exists is to follow the model runs. They are not all the same, but all of them but one now show a hit in NC. So thry are not showing 20 different things.

So how do you know it isn't going to hit?

The model runs are ridiculous. Its law of averages...if there are enough of them one is bound to be close LOL.

The model runs are ridiculous. Its law of averages...if there are enough of them one is bound to be close LOL.

The problem is, most other mets on the east coast (even the weather channel) give credit to the Euro because of it's accurate history.. but make sure people know it's alone.. and tell/show people what the other modeling does.

If I knew nothing about weather, I would prefer that to just being shown a track out to sea based off a model that the met happened to prefer even if it was all alone.

Edit:  Basically, I'd rather be told "i have no idea lets wait and see" than to get a down-right wrong forecast in a potentially dangerous situation.

Wasn't Fran the last cat 3 to make landfall in NC ?

Yes.....

I've heard about 20 different explanations, from reputable people, for the Euro's out-to-sea solution. Levi Cowan's (also elaborated by Ground Scouring in the main thread) makes the most sense to me -- he notes that the Euro members that kick it east show a smaller/weaker storm. A smaller storm would be less susceptible to feeling the influence from the ULL to the west. While I don't have access to Euro convective/precip/cloud extent, its SLP field for Joaquin does look noticeably more compact than that shown on the GFS.

Whether or not that's the only reason for the Euro's eastward push or there are other subtle differences in the ridge/trough depictions at play is anyone's guess.

Now DT is saying just the opposite lol, if the 00Z stay the same I suspect the NHC will abandon the Euro and go with the consensus they cant afford not to......they need the move the landfall south a bit and move the first inland plot west so that people know what they are potentially facing... if it ends up OTS that's fine but better to prepare folks given the possibility of a widespread high impact event.

No Hazel is the only Cat 4 that is credited for landfalling in NC, well since records were kept I am sure there have been others in the last 500 yrs or so lol.....so its pretty rare. With this setup I would think 110-125 mph would be top end potential for a landfall, with the setup if things did come together just right with ULL venting and strong tropical feed and stupid warm waters ... I wouldn't call for it just yet but its just as likely as it coming in as a weak Cat 1 IMO......

I just looked up hazel and it was still a cat 1 hurricane in Toronto. Pretty impressive.

The problem is, most other mets on the east coast (even the weather channel) give credit to the Euro because of it's accurate history.. but make sure people know it's alone.. and tell/show people what the other modeling does.

If I knew nothing about weather, I would prefer that to just being shown a track out to sea based off a model that the met happened to prefer even if it was all alone.

Also just because the Euro is right a lot doesn't mean it isn't completely wrong this time, the Euro does miss and given the fact that there is not real spread in the others you have to think this is one of those times....if it does end up being right great but in the meantime if it is wrong its time to let the folks in the Carolinas north know they are in for a hell of a weekend.

I'm already nervous. The trends continue west all day and if the Euro caves, it's looking more likely that the Carolinas are in for a potential disaster. So much for a quiet El Nino driven hurricane season.

No kidding...whats funny is, the model that usually overdoes trof and further east usually (GFS) and the euro over does ridges and is further west is the opposite. lol

One thing that really worries me is the potential storm surge of this storm, because of the awkward angle it's going to be taking into the state of NC if it comes. Frankly, I think the Euro is going to end of being right based on the persistent southward component of Joaquin and how the Euro has been handling that motion the best in my opinion. However, NC is used to storms coming in from the S or SSE. Joaquin, if it makes landfall, will have a large eastward component to it. Anywhere south of Isabel has seen a lot of time pass since the last surge to come in from mainly the east, and not the south. Don't know if it will have much of an impact, but just something I have on my mind.

Also just because the Euro is right a lot doesn't mean it isn't completely wrong this time, the Euro does miss and given the fact that there is not real spread in the others you have to think this is one of those times....if it does end up being right great but in the meantime if it is wrong its time to let the folks in the Carolinas north know they are in for a hell of a weekend.

Be careful about the spread. Many of the tropical models initialize based on the GFS and use GFS boundary conditions. It's not surprising that they often follow the GFS.

One thing that really worries me is the potential storm surge of this storm, because of the awkward angle it's going to be taking into the state of NC if it comes. Frankly, I think the Euro is going to end of being right based on the persistent southward component of Joaquin and how the Euro has been handling that motion the best in my opinion. However, NC is used to storms coming in from the S or SSE. Joaquin, if it makes landfall, will have a large eastward component to it. Anywhere south of Isabel has seen a lot of time pass since the last surge to come in from mainly the east, and not the south. Don't know if it will have much of an impact, but just something I have on my mind.

The thing is though is that the GFS and the Euro are within maybe 50-75 miles of each other at their 12Z Thur plot I mean its basically a wash the real difference between the two is the Euro gives more weight to the ULL out over the Atl and ALL the other models give more weight to the ULL cutoff over west Tenn.....up till tomorrow afternoon all the models are pretty much together including the Euro on position.

I'm not so sure a more southward motion explains the discrepancy between the Euro and the GFS anymore. The 12z Euro 24-hour position and the 18z GFS 18-hour position (same lead time) are almost identical. The Euro's 48-hour point is about due west, so presumably it doesn't get much farther south on the 12z Euro. To put simply, the GFS and Euro are in agreement on how far south this gets now. The key difference between the two models seems to be in the motion after the aforementioned time frame.

You do bring up a good point that the Euro has been leading the way on the more southward movement for the past day or so, which is one reason why I don't want to write it off just yet.

Edit: downeast beat me to it lol

Be careful about the spread. Many of the tropical models initialize based on the GFS and use GFS boundary conditions. It's not surprising that they often follow the GFS.

Yeah, the tropical model suite is usually garbage and not worth attention (save the HWRF which does have track skill). It's more notable that the UKMET, GFS Ensembles, and CMC (in that order) are largely in agreement with the GFS op, though.

Archived