Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I poked the hornets nest there for sure. About 50/50 with people saying it's ridiculous and people saying it's a good idea.

I'll hand it you. That was a nice troll post to be sure. Other than puddles of sweat left in desk chairs as students stand up and teachers with wet pits on shirts and sweat rags to wipe foreheads.. It's something they can get thru ok

I illustrated it better here by circling his area in white. You can see those hills in the Union region up into southern ORH county...so that in itself would cause mild downslope, even if do not count the higher elevation of the ORH county spine further to the northeast.

SNE_topography.png

I guess I just don't understand. To me, downnsloping is what happens in the valley or where Ryan lives on strong east or NE winds where the sun can be visible with spitting flakes while areas in the hills are getting accumulating snow. Dec 92 and March 13 firehose storm are 2 that come to mind. 

When you say downsloping , are you just meaning less snow than say, Union or ORH gets in that setup? You don't mean like a screwjob like the valley gets right?

I guess I just don't understand. To me, downnsloping is what happens in the valley or where Ryan lives on strong east or NE winds where the sun can be visible with spitting flakes while areas in the hills are getting accumulating snow. Dec 92 and March 13 firehose storm are 2 that come to mind. 

When you say downsloping , are you just meaning less snow than say, Union or ORH gets in that setup? You don't mean like a screwjob like the valley gets right?

The downsloping is definitely not as severe as the CT Valley...I don't think anyone claimed that it was. But yes, the mild downsloping would probably prevent you from getting the enhancement like Union would or the ORH county spine on a NE wind...or the hills in NW RI.

Union prob doesn't get much enhamcenet anyway since the ORH spine is NE of them...Union does better on a ENE or E wind. They just get less downsloping than your area on a NE wind.

Dave in Hubbarston violently disagrees with you as he thinks about the sauna-like atmosphere and locker room like smell that will be his classroom later today. :maphot:

It is gross for sure, and they kids lose focus...but hey, it is what it is... I just take it down a notch, lower expectations, plenty of water breaks, etc.

The building my wife teaches in is an old, circa 1920s building with awful ventilation (in Gardner). She is on the 3rd floor. It is atrocious, but we survive

Upsloping and downsloping doesn't have to be stark black and white.  It can just be that one side of the hills gets 1.2" QPF while the other side gets 0.8". 

I downslope quite a bit in the winter on the east side of the Spine in NW flow upslope events.  But that doesn't mean I'm left out.  Like Underhill on the west side gets 18" in a NW flow event, while I get 9".  Even though a few more miles SE is getting only 2-3", I'm still "downsloping" my way to 9".  Obviously no one thinks of it like that because I got a 9" snow event.  But I'm downsloping from the jackpot snow amounts on the Spine and west slope. 

Not sure that makes sense.  But when the air gets to me, there is some downslope component.  It is no longer rising air.  But its still precipitating, just not as efficiently as it is immediately over the Spine crest. 

Yeah PF I understand it . When they bust me over downsloping I thought they meant I was getting nothing or a screw job. Not 1-2 inches less than the airport at ORH. I guess that's why I was so against that idea as can still get good snows . But the valley area is really the area that suffers total downsloping I guess .

Yeah PF I understand it . When they bust me over downsloping I thought they meant I was getting nothing or a screw job. Not 1-2 inches less than the airport at ORH. I guess that's why I was so against that idea as can still get good snows . But the valley area is really the area that suffers total downsloping I guess .

Yeah, like the real downsloping happens in the larger valleys.  Like where nothing happens, as opposed to just getting 9" instead of 12".

You are picturing this type of downsloping... like here's an event from up here where BTV got hosed while everyone else got a heavy QPF event:

Oct31a_zpse1k40zgf.gif

This was the next morning's precipitation totals.  That's a valley downslope job right there.

precip_zpsuyntti3t.png

Archived