joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a big golf guy but I helped Jason Day load his PGA trophy into the case and then walked him and his agent to their car. Pretty cool seeing the names on this and knowing the history. Great guy to talk to with a thick Aussie accent.

I don't get jealous much but I'm pretty jealous of this. Glad to hear he sounds like a good guy.

And we found someone who thinks asking a question about observations thinks its a personal attack on that person.

Who is criticizing MPM personally?  I didn't wake up today being like, well let me look for ways to find MPM's temperatures are wrong, lol.  He's a grown ssa man who is successful and very smart...he obviously knows how to set-up a weather station and its all online for all to see.  Its not like he's making it up.  We are just asking why.

Haha I know your not attacking him, but it seems the general consensus in the forum is to second guess someone's readings If they don't align with what the readings "should" be.

People give a certain someone a hard time for high dew readings over freshly watered lawns, but if the DP is 70 over that lawn....then it's actually 70, even if it's 63 at his/her neighbor's. It's like saying "it's hot in this room, it's 85 degrees".....then your wife says "no it's not, it's 70 in the basement"......just because it's cooler in the basement doesn't mean it's not 85 upstairs lol.

Haha I know your not attacking him, but it seems the general consensus in the forum is to second guess someone's readings If they don't align with what the readings "should" be.

People give a certain someone a hard time for high dew readings over freshly watered lawns, but if the DP is 70 over that lawn....then it's actually 70, even if it's 63 at his/her neighbor's. It's like saying "it's hot in this room, it's 85 degrees".....then your wife says "no it's not, it's 70 in the basement"......just because it's cooler in the basement doesn't mean it's not 85 upstairs lol.

That was pretty much my argument about this whole thing. However localized readings do not represent an air mass nor does your bedroom temp represent the entire house.  A high dew or temp in someones back yard is not going to ignite Tstorms , I think that was the general argument about lawn dews versus actual air mass dews. The MPM thing is not surprising to me, cool pockets exist whether cause by shade, topography, soil conditions or air flow but I believe his readings shown in his car and Davis were real conditions.

Still no 90° F IMBY...PSF was 88° F for the high while my cheap digital thermometer reached 89.1° F and it tends to read 1-3° F too warm during the day. Although there's still a chance we could do it tomorrow, I think it's less likely than it was today. Today was the day to do it and we didn't, so it appears we'll pass the 2 year mark without reaching 90° F here.

LOL at schools releasing early due to the heat. As a private school student, we had to wear jackets, ties, and khakis as part of the dress code, even on hot days with no AC. Teachers would allow us to take our blazers off during class on such days, but still, it was pretty darn uncomfortable. What's next? Schools dismissing students early for some rain?

Not a big golf guy but I helped Jason Day load his PGA trophy into the case and then walked him and his agent to their car. Pretty cool seeing the names on this and knowing the history. Great guy to talk to with a thick Aussie accent. 

That's neat--it's like a mini-Stanley cup making an appearance.

And my daughter's district has called for an early release due to heat tomorrow

Pansy nation

It's always cool at the Mohawk Regional schools that they would never need to consider such a thing.  :)

One thing I want to point out to the temp discussion from yesterday, I do not live in Shelburne Falls.  That's the village that straddles the Deerfield River; half in Shelburne, half in Buckland;.  It's where 90% of the two towns' populations live.  The hills climb steeply on either side of the river. 

I'm about 4 miles or so outside SF as the crow flies and 7 miles as the car drives.  Probably 400 or so feet higher than the village

I'm on top of a steep hill.  The Davis is in an open area on the line dividing lawn area and the pasture. Perhaps 100' or so from any trees with the exception of a dwarf apple tree we put in.  I'll need to move it away from that, but the temp trend I've recorded preceeded putting in that tree.  FWIW, my diurnal temps seem in synch with other GC sites (nocturnal is a different story).

I have to go into Greenfield later on today.  I'm going to video the car thermometer to show what happens when you climb the few miles out of the valley. It's a pretty dramatic difference between the two. 

Not a bad night here tonight; got to 57.1

Someone had asked about that.

I know this area quite well and it doesn't surprise me in the least. If there were some stations on line in Colrain or W. Leyden I bet we would see some similar readings to MPM.

Chris--maybe you can come by today or Friday (I'm working from home on W/F these days) and experience the wonder. 

I think I have an extra shawl. 

I'll have to watch the video and see where the 91F starts. Aside from location (if it is basically on a tarmac, that will add an extra 2-3F easy), car thermometers often read very hot when you first turn the car on and then will cool as you drive...even if you are not driving into a lower ambient temperature.

So those are all factors to consider.

It is a riveting video.  Surely up for an Oscar.

I was coming in from Turner's so I had been driving for a few miles by the time the video started.  Also, the 91 reading on car thermometer was consistent with the readings from stations in/near Greenfield.

Did I really just watch a 7 min vid of someone's car thermo?

Wasn't it great?  Maybe I'll do a sequel today.

I created a monster finding that site...lol.

Yes you did!!!

Per someone's request, I took this 360* panoramic shot from my station.  So, the far right wraps around to connect with the far left (it took me a minute to figure out how to read panoramic shots).

I will be relocating it at some point due to the dwarf apple tree that was put in nearby.  That may have some bearing on my readings, but I don't think it accounts for too much.  Especially since I've had the comfy readings prior to putting that tree in last year.

73.3/70

Yes you did!!!

Per someone's request, I took this 360* panoramic shot from my station. So, the far right wraps around to connect with the far left (it took me a minute to figure out how to read panoramic shots).

I will be relocating it at some point due to the dwarf apple tree that was put in nearby. That may have some bearing on my readings, but I don't think it accounts for too much. Especially since I've had the comfy readings prior to putting that tree in last year.

73.3/70

Looks better exposed than most home stations. Is it fan-aspirated? I guess it's possible something's not right with the sensor - surprised no one has suggested this as the simplest explanation.

Looks better exposed than most home stations. Is it fan-aspirated? I guess it's possible something's not right with the sensor - surprised no one has suggested this as the simplest explanation.

I don't think it is the sensor since his readings are much more in line during the cold season and at night.

My guess it is some form of evapotranspiration that is going on up there that creates the microclimate in the summer season and of course would mainly affect just the daytime highs.

I don't think it is the sensor since his readings are much more in line during the cold season and at night.

My guess it is some form of evapotranspiration that is going on up there that creates the microclimate in the summer season and of course would mainly affect just the daytime highs.

soil conditions  is a good guess

This is what I would think too.

Its a micro-climate caused by something. 

This is what I would think too.

Its a micro-climate caused by something. 

And something unique to that immediate area...not just the East Slope in general.

One of these days, I'll coordinate with MPM and I'll take some instruments out there and I'll see if I can figure it out. :lol:

Archived