joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We talked about that earlier...look at the elevation of some of those sites.  But if Hubb took that screen shot at the time he posted it, most sites had already been easing off their afternoon highs.  Yes it was 82-85F at Savoy, Plainfield, Windsor, etc but they are 1,800-2,200ft (essentially MRG's 2kft sites).  That should be 3-5F colder than MPM's elevation.

Ginxy, I asked you earlier, but can you honestly look at the big picture and the area observations, and the scientist in you doesn't want to figure out why?   You aren't intrigued as to how his temperature didn't rise at all this afternoon?  How it steadily went up through 12:30 and then just stopped completely while everyone else continued to rise?

I take Mikes word and vid for it, doesn't bother me or surprise me in the least.

The sites in the pic that were 82-84 were 1090-1440 feet in el

Did you snap that earlier in the day at like 2-3pm or was it when you posted it?

MPM's site quickly fell in-line with other observations between 4-5pm when his temp held steady but the others started dropping. 

That's why I was hypothesizing its something that happens in the afternoon with relation to his siting.   

I take Mikes word and vid for it, doesn't bother me or surprise me in the least.

Ok, I think I'm looking at it differently.  Its not a personal attack that one thinks his word is bad or we don't believe him.  I take his word for it too and I have no doubt that is the temperature where his Davis is located.  His temps are usually in-line with other East Slope spots, it was just very noticeable today, and it can be tracked back to something happening between 12pm and 4pm, that wasn't happening at other sites.

You can see it on the graphs, for some reason he doesn't see the rises in temperature after midday that the others see.  Its not about lying, which like Will said, most folks think its a personal attack if obs are questioned.  Its about being curious as to why it is what it is. 

Ok, I think I'm looking at it differently.  Its not a personal attack that one thinks his word is bad or we don't believe him.  I take his word for it too and I have no doubt that is the temperature where his Davis is located.  His temps are usually in-line with other East Slope spots, it was just very noticeable today.

You can see it on the graphs, for some reason he doesn't see the rises in temperature after midday that the others see.  Its not about lying, which like Will said, most folks think its a personal attack if obs are questioned.  Its about being curious as to why it is what it is. 

Yep, it definitely does not match up with the other obs in the other rural towns. Plainfield being 84F at 1800 feet is actually evidence against the Shelburn obs. Not for it.

I am intrigued as to why it reads so much cooler. Some will take it personally, but they shouldn't.

This is the MPM topo based on the lat/long from his station DW5935. Not sure if he posted it when we all were, but I don't feel like looking back.

attachicon.gifmpmtopo.PNG

He's on a south facing hill and has 1300-1500' elevations just to his N and W.

I wonder if that 1500 foot hill just to his west puts him in shade really early. Though I'd expect that hill to be much closer if that was the case.

This is the MPM topo based on the lat/long from his station DW5935. Not sure if he posted it when we all were, but I don't feel like looking back.

attachicon.gifmpmtopo.PNG

He's on a south facing hill and has 1300-1500' elevations just to his N and W.

I wonder if that higher hill shades him to some degree?  Its not that much higher but could do it?  If he's on a south facing slope, I'd almost expect it to run warm, not cold.   He has mentioned this row of trees several times, that coupled with a hill may do it. 

Who knows.  Its just something to discuss during summer doldrums. 

His property looks beautiful though from his pictures...awesome spot. 

I think MPM will be awed to know he's taken up 2-3 pages of discussion now haha.

Huge Taylor Made event here at work, they decided to eat outside tonight  a month ago, lol. I'll watch from inside the 68 degree building. Servers and bartenders are not happy. Jason Day just walked by me

Looks awesome Ginxy.  Nice presentation.  Love the stainless steel serpentine buffet tables.  Top-quality stuff with that High-Boy cocktail table dress-up.  Used to do banquet set-up design for several years at the Hilton Hotel in Burlington, you've got a high-quality presentation right there.

I wonder if that higher hill shades him to some degree?  Its not that much higher but could do it?  If he's on a south facing slope, I'd almost expect it to run warm, not cold.   He has mentioned this row of trees several times, that coupled with a hill may do it. 

Who knows.  Its just something to discuss during summer doldrums. 

His property looks beautiful though from his pictures...awesome spot. 

I think MPM will be awed to know he's taken up 2-3 pages of discussion now haha.

Yeah...my guess is shade. I tend to run a little cool, but I'm on a north facing slope and have a large pine forest in the back on the W side. The shade doesn't start hitting the Davis until after peak heating, but I'm sure any W component to the flow has some influence on the cooler temps. Then you factor in more vegetation than the airport and it all probably explains why I run about 1F below MADIS on max temps. There are some local sites near my el that jive with my temps though.

Wow lots of MPM criticism going on in here, can't anyone just except a temp reading for what it is? Without looking for ways it's wrong?

Sent from my HTC One

And we found someone who thinks asking a question about observations thinks its a personal attack on that person.

Who is criticizing MPM personally?  I didn't wake up today being like, well let me look for ways to find MPM's temperatures are wrong, lol.  He's a grown ssa man who is successful and very smart...he obviously knows how to set-up a weather station and its all online for all to see.  Its not like he's making it up.  We are just asking why.

And we found someone who thinks asking a question about observations thinks its a personal attack on that person.

Who is criticizing MPM personally? I didn't wake up today being like, well let me look for ways to find MPM's temperatures are wrong, lol.

Lol that was the first reaction that came to my mind. He clearly didn't read through te discussion.

Looks awesome Ginxy. Nice presentation. Love the stainless steel serpentine buffet tables. Top-quality stuff with that High-Boy cocktail table dress-up. Used to do banquet set-up design for several years at the Hilton Hotel in Burlington, you've got a high-quality presentation right there.

inside for Jason Days presentation

0908151847.jpg

Yeah...my guess is shade. I tend to run a little cool, but I'm on a north facing slope and have a large pine forest in the back on the W side. The shade doesn't start hitting the Davis until after peak heating, but I'm sure any W component to the flow has some influence on the cooler temps. Then you factor in more vegetation than the airport and it all probably explains why I run about 1F below MADIS on max temps. There are some local sites near my el that jive with my temps though.

I just found the CWOP analysis page and looked over some MADIS data.  Looks like my local PWS runs a bit too cool during the daytime, haha. 

Since it was the discussion today, I looked at DW5935 for MPM's station analysis.  Maybe you can help me interpret these graphs as I'm in over my head at this point:

Here's the nighttime graph with DW5935 being the darker circle:

And here is the daytime graph with DW5935 on the right side border.

What is this telling us?  lol, I have no idea.

Still 81 here. Won't drop below 73-74

Full on Key West style evening on tap.  The earlier sunset these days gives us more evening hours of darkness to enjoy the warmth, lol.  It'd still be very light out if it was July.  The longer darkness seems out of touch with the current temperature/humidity though, lol. 

I just found the CWOP analysis page and looked over some MADIS data. Looks like my local PWS runs a bit too cool during the daytime, haha.

Since it was the discussion today, I looked at DW5935 for MPM's station analysis. Maybe you can help me interpret these graphs as I'm in over my head at this point:

attachicon.gifNighttime_MPM.png

attachicon.gifDaytime_MPM.png

What is this telling us? lol, I have no idea.

MADIS isn't perfect...it's a good first step though. If there are stations factored in that are running too high it will think you should be warmer than you are...even if your temp is hypothetically perfect. We know there are some torchy afternoon PWSs out there too.

Full on Key West style evening on tap.  The earlier sunset these days gives us more evening hours of darkness to enjoy the warmth, lol.  It'd still be very light out if it was July.  The longer darkness seems out of touch with the current temperature/humidity though, lol. 

You should visit Texas. It's weird watching the 10 PM news and they show the temperature map and everyone is still 96-99 degrees and the weatherman says it likes it no big deal. Plus the days there are shorter than ours in the summer, so it adds to the oddity of being out in pitch darkness at say 9 at night and 100 degree heat.

Shelbourne is indeed one magical place if he can be the same temp at a site 1100' feet higher than his (Windsor) and 3 degrees cooler than Peru at 1800', Ginxy's thoughts notwithstanding.

I'd like to see how it does compared to co-op sites which use standard equipment and are sited in a similar fashion, i.e. not at an airport, and presumably in areas closer to vegetation and other obstructions.

I just found the CWOP analysis page and looked over some MADIS data.  Looks like my local PWS runs a bit too cool during the daytime, haha. 

Since it was the discussion today, I looked at DW5935 for MPM's station analysis.  Maybe you can help me interpret these graphs as I'm in over my head at this point:

attachicon.gifNighttime_MPM.png

attachicon.gifDaytime_MPM.png

What is this telling us?  lol, I have no idea.

He is basically in his own world with his daytime "error". Very few sites manage to pull off being 3.5F+ cooler than the analysis temp. His actually appears to be the most extreme on that image.

MADIS isn't perfect...it's a good first step though. If there are stations factored in that are running too high it will think you should be warmer than you are...even if your temp is hypothetically perfect. We know there are some torchy afternoon PWSs out there too.

It finds ORE 1.8F too cold, while thinking the spot in Peru, MA at 1,900ft runs 3.9F too warm (would make sense as it hit 90F today)...fun kickin' around that site.

What's cool is if you take the different stations, and add in the MADIS departures, it all seems to make sense relative to elevation. It may be a degree or so off, but overall, it fits in a more unified level. The problem is, where people live is more variable than that. You have different aspects, shade amounts, vegetation density, sun angle issues, construction, etc so its not as cut and dry. I get that. But its fun to use the available data to try and come up with a temperature profile on a more unified level. Thermodynamics can be cool.

Archived