• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

57.8F at Mansfield on this date last year (month-to-date average)...vs. 62.9F this year.

Last year was still warm up there, but this year is averaging 5F warmer. 

Probably goes back to what Tippy has been saying, wondering why with the air masses in place, that the surface hasn't been an absolute furnace.  The anomalies have probably been higher at 850mb over the SFC so far this month.

Later in August and September, it starts to get a little harder to mix down those warmer temps adiabatically. Yesterday was a good example of mixing, but it needed dews that were not over 70 and west winds. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Later in August and September, it starts to get a little harder to mix down those warmer temps adiabatically. Yesterday was a good example of mixing, but it needed dews that were not over 70 and west winds. 

Yup earlier in the month there were some days where it was like 70-74F at the Picnic Table level, but the lowlands were only low 80s.  Then there are days like you said, where its 74F at the picnic tables and it mixes at 5.5F/1000ft giving the valleys low-mid 90s.

Honestly the temperatures at the summits have been fairly steady so far this month.  The low lands have been more variable depending on mixing on any given day.

Yeah, I'd assume dryness in August is more important.  The overall MET summer was actually slightly wetter than normal, even though August was 4.5" below normal.  Remember MMNV1 set the all-time June record with 15.54" this summer, and July was normal rainfall.

Seems the drought is going to accelerate the leaf change this year as many are brown and yellow and dropping. If we get beneficial rains in places, would that help the colors or is too late for that with the dry last 3-4 months ?

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/new-england-foliage/2015-new-england-fall-foliage-forecast

In order to bring out the best possible foliage from here on out, we will need rather ideal early autumn conditions for the brightest colors.  This would mean an abundance of sunshine, occasional replenishing rainfall, and generally warm days and cool nights.  

We haven't had the cool nights good for foliage except one several days ago.

Replenishing rainfall looks decent coming up tomorrow...after lots of sunny days. But we are still lacking good conditions for cool nights going forward. Perhaps by 9/20 or so we'll see a more conductive pattern.

Sounds like TWC is attempting a partial return to grass roots

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/media/weather-channel-sam-champion/index.html

I can remember being really young and watching people like a Mark Mancusso...we're talking pre Cantore era, and that channel was very particular in its hourly segmentations. You could count on the extended graphics and outlook at 52 min passed the hour, for example.. 

I hadn't set down to watch anything on that channel in over 10 years (I don't think), so wasn't aware it had strayed so far from those original formats. My stomach churns at the thought of 'fat guys in the woods'

Really -

Sounds like TWC is attempting a partial return to grass roots

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/09/media/weather-channel-sam-champion/index.html

I can remember being really young and watching people like a Mark Mancusso...we're talking pre Cantore era, and that channel was very particular in its hourly segmentations. You could count on the extended graphics and outlook at 52 min passed the hour, for example.. 

I hadn't set down to watch anything on that channel in over 10 years (I don't think), so wasn't aware it had strayed so far from those original formats. My stomach churns at the thought of 'fat guys in the woods'

Really -

Amen to that.  I used to have the weather channel on all day long back in the 80s and early 90s.  After that it got to the point that I could not watch it and still don't.

TWC will never return to the glory days of the 1990s...we have too much better information available online now.

That said, it's good that they will be doing more live weather. There is still value in that. Even if not for us weather weenies, the general public will still find it useful if they can present it in a clear manner.

The hardcore wx enthusiasts will never return to TWC as the prime source of weather info. Not with weather forums and so much accessible model data online. No need to wait until the 5 day business planner graphics are changed at 4pm when you can see all the medium range models 3-4 hours earlier.

Posting spree today but interesting to notice that my Andover and Bridgton elevations aren't far off from one another. Felt like I was much higher. But my proximity to Long Lake hurt me. The ridges around me probably did a lot better in many events.

Its hard to see how Boston could ever get a mega storm surge, a Perfect Storm Blizz of 78 stuff but it would be tough for Boston to get a Sandyesque surge just because of the topography. It would take a Sandy into NJ type track but into CC I suppose but the fetch is disrupted by CC

TWC will never return to the glory days of the 1990s...we have too much better information available online now.

That said, it's good that they will be doing more live weather. There is still value in that. Even if not for us weather weenies, the general public will still find it useful if they can present it in a clear manner.

The hardcore wx enthusiasts will never return to TWC as the prime source of weather info. Not with weather forums and so much accessible model data online. No need to wait until the 5 day business planner graphics are changed at 4pm when you can see all the medium range models 3-4 hours earlier.

lol, waiting on the tropical updates, hoping John Hope was on. Hurricane Bob I don't think I missed 1 for 3 days

Its hard to see how Boston could ever get a mega storm surge, a Perfect Storm Blizz of 78 stuff but it would be tough for Boston to get a Sandyesque surge just because of the topography. It would take a Sandy into NJ type track but into CC I suppose but the fetch is disrupted by CC

I assume it would obviously take a very rare and unique pattern for it to happen. Some kind of weakening tropical system retrograding back west as an extratropical storm with plenty of blocking lol.

I assume it would obviously take a very rare and unique pattern for it to happen. Some kind of weakening tropical system retrograding back west as an extratropical storm with plenty of blocking lol.

Going under the radar, was the storm surge that happened in Boston harbor during low tide of the big retro Feb 2010 storm. If that was high tide, would have beaten Bliz 78.

lol, waiting on the tropical updates, hoping John Hope was on. Hurricane Bob I don't think I missed 1 for 3 days

I usually went to the kitchen to get a snack during the tropical update if John Hope wasn't on that hour. When he was on, I'd stay glued to the TV...esp if there was anything developing.

In the winter, I was always waiting for the 5 day business planner. That was the segment where they would show the maps out beyond 2 days. Usually around 20 past the hour.

I usually went to the kitchen to get a snack during the tropical update if John Hope wasn't on that hour. When he was on, I'd stay glued to the TV...esp if there was anything developing.

In the winter, I was always waiting for the 5 day business planner. That was the segment where they would show the maps out beyond 2 days. Usually around 20 past the hour.

:weenie:

I went to a really interesting surge talk from Bob Thompson at BOX a while back and they are extremely worried about Boston's vulnerability. They were very lucky with a major flood event that occured at low tide in the last decade that would have been devastating to infrastructure (including the T) had the peak surge occurred several hours later. 

Will or Scott may remember which storm that was. I believe it was a small noreaster nuke that brought exceptionally strong winds to the NH Seacoast and SW Maine. 

I went to a really interesting surge talk from Bob Thompson at BOX a while back and they are extremely worried about Boston's vulnerability. They were very lucky with a major flood event that occured at low tide in the last decade that would have been devastating to infrastructure (including the T) had the peak surge occurred several hours later. 

Will or Scott may remember which storm that was. I believe it was a small noreaster nuke that brought exceptionally strong winds to the NH Seacoast and SW Maine. 

Yep, the Feb 25-26 storm. That thing slung west and shoved a ton of water with it. Drag was all over that in the AFD. IIRC, record surge for Boston buoy.

Yep, the Feb 25-26 storm. That thing slung west and shoved a ton of water with it. Drag was all over that in the AFD. IIRC, record surge for Boston buoy.

Yes that was the one. 6 1/2 feet of surge in the Harbor. Had that been at high tide the water level would have been 17.5 feet or 2.5 feet higher than 1978. 

There's just something about some broadcasters, where you can really just feel their energy and zeal. It's not any particular, specific work choice - perhaps just in the song/cadence of their delivery, but you really just can't wait for their next sentence.

He carried that affect in great measure. Actually, ...I hate to admit, Jim Cantore also has that, though I'm a bit put off by his apparent 'grand-standing' tendency.  Maybe I'm wrong about that cat, but seems he struts. Plus, ...he's lookin older and pudgier now. 

Anyway, sometimes when 'Hope came on you just knew there was some TW that was about to detonate - it was like whether he purported that or not, it was good luck having him around.   

There were a couple of talking heads on that channel that I preferred for the extended out looks, when they would paint white over SNE and say "watch out!" too - my era goes back to the 1980s though.  But I know what you mean.. .They still had all that, and of course, 'Hope's era was like 1989 thru circa 94 or so... 

Pretty sure you're aware, but he died at 83 back in '02

One scan was flagging 2.69'' hail.  Not sure if duo-pol is as impressive with hail sig. but haven't seen any hail reports flash up yet with the cell...just some wind damage reports.  

Looks to be skirting through no-mans' land... Maybe there's an unconscious deer with an opinion - 

Archived