• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

There's just something about some broadcasters, where you can really just feel their energy and zeal. It's not any particular, specific work choice - perhaps just in the song/cadence of their delivery, but you really just can't wait for their next sentence.

He carried that affect in great measure. Actually, ...I hate to admit, Jim Cantore also has that, though I'm a bit put off by his apparent 'grand-standing' tendency.  Maybe I'm wrong about that cat, but seems he struts. Plus, ...he's lookin older and pudgier now. 

Anyway, sometimes when 'Hope came on you just knew there was some TW that was about to detonate - it was like whether he purported that or not, it was good luck having him around.   

There were a couple of talking heads on that channel that I preferred for the extended out looks, when they would paint white over SNE and say "watch out!" too - my era goes back to the 1980s though.  But I know what you mean.. .They still had all that, and of course, 'Hope's era was like 1989 thru circa 94 or so... 

Pretty sure you're aware, but he died at 83 back in '02

Yeah I remember when John Hope passed. He wasn't full time there after 1997, but still made regular appearances through hurricane season of 2001.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's the torch day of the week here--85.4/71.  That's a DIT dewpoint dandy.

I'm not sure if this plays into the temperature discussion, but Shelburne is the easternmost of the Franklin County hill towns.  The drop from here into the valley is pretty precipitous (there's a Tip word).  I've heard Will speak of the role of relative elevation, so might that dramatic drop have something to do with it?  

I just ran out now and took these pictures from Peckville RD.  It's a couple miles east of me, but at a similar elevation.  These are probably the best views in town.  I'm guessing the hills marking the east side of the valley  likely lead toward Winchendon and that area.  You might have difficulty seeing it through the manky sky, but in the upper left in one of them, you can see Monadnoc.  On a clear day, it's much more impressive.

Looks to be skirting through no-mans' land... Maybe there's an unconscious deer with an opinion - 

That's where these storms tend to track :lol:

There was even a previous scan which showed a little bit of rotation as well...I think just prior to when the 2.69'' hail was flagged.  Shear isn't particularly terrible where these cells are either.  Very little helicity but could have some locally enhanced areas...usually happens in that part of the state

Schools dismissing early on the CT shoreline with temperatures near 83 degrees.

Yeah, but 83 with pre equinox sun onto and into a brick and steel building that may have poor ventilation and no or inadequate AC is plenty hot enough for a overly aware meme to cry law suits over. 

Man, when I was kid, I'd really did walk to school in -9 F cold with wind.  Now, society is so freaked out about anything they are raising these little woosies that can't break a fingernail. 

Yeah, but 83 with pre equinox sun onto and into a brick and steel building that may have poor ventilation and no or inadequate AC is plenty hot enough for a overly aware meme to cry law suits over. 

Man, when I was kid, I'd really did walk to school in -9 F cold with wind.  Now, society is so freaked out about anything they are raising these little woosies that can't break a fingernail. 

I remember walking to school on the morning of February 6, 1995. Now THAT was cold. Stiff NW wind at 15-20 knots and about a -11F ambient temp. The high that day was 5F...so the walk home wasn't much better.

Yep, the Feb 25-26 storm. That thing slung west and shoved a ton of water with it. Drag was all over that in the AFD. IIRC, record surge for Boston buoy.

yep great play by play with Messenger Eck and I, we saw that the surge had prevented the tide from going out,still that's no comparison to Sandy like surge. Staten Island 13 feet, that would make a 25 foot tide at Boston, then Jay would have issues

I remember walking to school on the morning of February 6, 1995. Now THAT was cold. Stiff NW wind at 15-20 knots and about a -11F ambient temp. The high that day was 5F...so the walk home wasn't much better.

yeah no in this day and age that would never fly - 

They'd not only shut the schools down, it'd by on the nightly news like a CGI national disaster film.

I remember the cold wave.. I was ..I think a Sophomore in college up at UML.  1994-1995 was the rattiest dead ratter since rats ever ratted up until that fast moving coastal bomb.  I brought the winter back from drop out and problems with the law brink, to just flunking... The winter overall was that bad, but... we did have the one snow storm, and right after...man did it get f cold for a few days. Super sharp incurring arctic wrath type stuff - 

yeah no in this day and age that would never fly - 

They'd not only shut the schools down, it'd by on the nightly news like a CGI national disaster film.

I remember the cold wave.. I was ..I think a Sophomore in college up at UML.  1994-1995 was the rattiest dead ratter since rats ever ratted up until that fast moving coastal bomb.  I brought the winter back from drop out and problems with the law brink, to just flunking... The winter overall was that bad, but... we did have the one snow storm, and right after...man did it get f cold for a few days. Super sharp incurring arctic wrath type stuff - 

Yes...exactly. Good memory. That arctic shot was right after the only worthwhile snow event all winter. That winter was merely an F instead of maybe top 3 worst of all time. That arctic airmass gave us about 10-14 days (the excessively cold stuff was about 2-3 days worth) of real winter preserving that heavy snowfall from February 4th.

And yeah, these days there is no way schools would be open now. I recall some schools closing for that cold shot, but only a smattering versus the "almost universal" closings that would happen today.

I had mid-terms during the mid Jan 94 cold shots. I'm not sure how aware some of you are of Pinkerton Academy in Derry, but it's basically like a college campus with the number of buildings you have to walk outside to get to...probably a dozen buildings with classrooms. I remember recording -27F one morning and there were a few days with 0-10F highs and old scale wind chills in the -40s to -50s.

welp ... I have about a grove's worth of under-growth I promised my self I'd chain-saw down, and chose this week of stay-cation to do it.

Just didn't plan on it being 90 f'em 4 deg/ 66 DPs under cobalt blue sky.  ... then it rains tomorrow, then friends want to do schiz on the weekends.  

not looking forward to the rest of the afternoon - 

Thanks for sharing all the pics of your labs. If I could figure out a simple way to post pics here, you'd see mine too.  :whistle:

And I'll echo the love for vintage Weather Channel. Jeanetta Jones...

I'm sure she was a cherishable soul and an all around real credit to humanity ...

But I thought she was not that good looking -   to each his own, is suppose.  

Ironically on the heels of the last 24 hours of Pit temp discussion, I could eek out my high for the summer today  (87.5 on July 29).  My station's internet connection was down a few times during the summer so I can't say for certain that was the hottest, but it's the highest I have record of.

Ironically on the heels of the last 24 hours of Pit temp discussion, I could eek out my high for the summer today  (87.5 on July 29).  My station's internet connection was down a few times during the summer so I can't say for certain that was the hottest, but it's the highest I have record of.

I have no idea what happened to your station yesterday afternoon, lol.  Maybe like a localized TCU over your property.

You are very much in-line right now with the rest of the East Slope right now.  There are some showers off to your west though that may stop you from hitting your hottest temp.

lot of interior NE Mass too... yeah.  

92 at KFIT and here at Oxbow it 93 also... and believe me folks, it's  9  3   

BDL and the CT River valley "only" in the 90-91F range. Definitely favoring the eastern areas today. It's always a bit weird when BOS and PSM have the lead on the hourly roundup.

Archived