joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tyngsboro had 10, and ASH had near 12"  It wasn't that far as the crow flies. PNS said Dracut had 8.5"

Yeah I only had about 5" in Methuen.  I kept waiting for it to fill in but never did.  We got a great burst at the beginning, where we got most of the accumulation, then just light snow after that.

I recall Megan's place at the time in North Chelmsford had about 7-7.5" but we drove up to Nashua and they had at least 12". Literally like 5 miles up the road. Big gradient between Lowell-Tyngsborough-Nashua in the October storm...and it had nothing to do with temps. Just a mesoscale sucker zone.

Yeah I only had about 5" in Methuen.  I kept waiting for it to fill in but never did.  We got a great burst at the beginning, where we got most of the accumulation, then just light snow after that.

You need to learn the look of a subsidence zone so that you can save yourself a lot of aggravation.

The guys make fun of me bc I am always nervous watching for them near the onset of large events, but I have a pretty good track record of identifying them pretty early on.

I saw that one very early on and bailed.

Comes with years of experience.

I recall Megan's place at the time in North Chelmsford had about 7-7.5" but we drove up to Nashua and they had at least 12". Literally like 5 miles up the road. Big gradient between Lowell-Tyngsborough-Nashua in the October storm...and it had nothing to do with temps. Just a mesoscale sucker zone.

That is the worst part.

If you had told me you  have a one in 200 year October KU coming, and asked my major concern, that would be about 1,234,658th on my list.

Depends on the amounts. We seem to shovel 2-6" at single digit temps or lower at least once a winter.

Like January 2014 had an event we got like 3-4" at -10F...meh. I'd take 12" at 20F over it every time.

Well, it is not that unusual there.

Obviously.

It happens more often in these EPO driven winters, imo.

Depends on the amounts. We seem to shovel 2-6" at single digit temps or lower at least once a winter.

Like January 2014 had an event we got like 3-4" of arctic sand at -10F...meh. I'd take 12" at 20F over it every time.

Imagine getitng like 12"+ of snow with temps of -25F there...that is kind of equivalent. Near 0F in Boston while getting a big storm is pretty ridiculous.

most of the East NE snowfall was from the ULL in Oct 11 there was a temp rate issue for a long time while Kev west was getting smoked. First time in my life I left work in snow and crossed the rain line NW

It was snowing pretty fast in the 128 belt...only an hour or two of rain/mix. They got sucker holed though in between the low level insanity right on the seacoast and the better mid-level forcing just to the west.

South and east of 128 definitely had BL issues for a long time...but that zone from Ray to Lowell back down to like Framingham was able to overcome BL pretty fast but just couldn't get the heavier rates. It was that 1 mile vis light snow too often.

Imagine getitng like 12"+ of snow with temps of -25F there...that is kind of equivalent. Near 0F in Boston while getting a big storm is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah that's definitely true.

Valentine's Day 2007 was my favorite for that. The first 12" fell at like 3-5F. That's the most snow I've seen at cold temps. It's really not possible to do it with much colder temps. Once in like 0F to -10F you get like 2-6" of sand and it's hard to do more.

I feel like 0F to 10F is like where you can be real cold and still get decent accums.

Well, is it not memorable when you are shoveling with temps near zero?

Or sweeping - that storm was 7" of fluff.  The bitter Jan 2-3, 2014 storm was only 2" and mainly fell with temps -8 to -12.  Memorable, yes, because of the cold but not due to the modest snowfall.   Now Jan 2015 was different, as most of my 20" came with temps in the singles.  March 14-15, 1984 brought 26.5" (biggest snowfall I've ever measured) as temps slowly climbed from 2 to 12 at my Ft. Kent place in the hills.

It was snowing pretty fast in the 128 belt...only an hour or two of rain/mix. They got sucker holed though in between the low level insanity right on the seacoast and the better mid-level forcing just to the west.

South and east of 128 definitely had BL issues for a long time...but that zone from Ray to Lowell back down to like Framingham was able to overcome BL pretty fast but just couldn't get the heavier rates. It was that 1 mile vis light snow too often.

That is the largest danger living where I am.

It sucks that I'm subjected to that, yet I am just far enough to not benefit from oes, and just close enough to still  have the BL go to $hit.

:lol:

Well, it is not that unusual there.

Obviously.

It happens more often in these EPO driven winters, imo.

Yeah I figure Tamarack gets it fairly regularly too.

You want what you don't get as much. I'd always take a 20F big snow over the colder and lighter amounts. But that's because we are more likely to get 6" at 5F while you get 13" at 24F in the same storm.

You need to learn the look of a subsidence zone so that you can save yourself a lot of aggravation.

The guys make fun of me bc I am always nervous watching for them near the onset of large events, but I have a pretty good track record of identifying them pretty early on.

I always enjoy watching the relatively weak meso bands roaring to the NW over you and feeding into the mother deathband sitting over my head.

More of those setups, please.

Or sweeping - that storm was 7" of fluff.  The bitter Jan 2-3, 2014 storm was only 2" and mainly fell with temps -8 to -12.  Memorable, yes, because of the cold but not due to the modest snowfall.   Now Jan 2015 was different, as most of my 20" came with temps in the singles.

Somebody should do some research, biggest differential between ave temp while the storm was going on to final snowfall total lol. For example with my 29.5 in Jan I ave 12 degrees so 17.5 diff , In Feb for the cold storm with 13 I averaged 2 so 11

I knew early on after the initial burst I was in trouble.  I should have said not waiting for it to fill in, but hoping it would fill in.  I remember telling my wife, we weren't getting much more, that we were in the subsidence zone.  Which is normally where I am, except for last year, where I did well.

Somebody should do some research, biggest differential between ave temp while the storm was going on to final snowfall total lol. For example with my 29.5 in Jan I ave 12 degrees so 17.5 diff , In Feb for the cold storm with 13 I averaged 2 so 11

That January blizz was 20" at avg 7 for a 13  However, the Ft. Kent storm noted above was 26.5" at avg 8F.

Of course the "winner" will be some monster snowfall at not-all-that-cold temps.  Case in point is the late Feb event in 1969.  Long Falls Dam in Maine had 56" at temps ranging 15 to 28.  A bit to the SW, Pinkham Notch recorded 77" at similar temps, and MWN had 98" with temps 3 to 17.

Well to make Ray feel better, he's due for one of those 10-15" 128 jobs where it's down the drain here. My FU storms usually are those. :lol:  I think the only real Ray style FU was Feb 2006 down where I was , but that was more of a disappointment. Tough to say FU when you had like 15", but far cry from 2'.

I can already see it. They get crushed by a band this winter, and then all the whiners from the east will post how they always get the deathband...pretending that last year, and Feb 2013, and Firehose 2013 all never happened. :lol:

wait you chided me for my EPO love saying the last 3 years were an outlier....lol If you had the ability to combine every single storm into one collage of synoptics my bet is the darkest band would be GC to Dendrite to Jefffafa with a secondary max ISP TO ORH to Newburyport

Archived