joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure Steve has it on his desktop.

Wait one.

I have it on my computer at home...but I was unable to find it using a quick search here.

I know oceanstwx (Chris) has the link...or used to. I think he was the one who originally linked it. I'm sure ginx has it too.

It wouldn't be that shocking to get 850mb temps below 0C by then.

Does anyone have the link that shows the record coldest/warmest 850mb temperatures at each RAOB location? I cannot seem to find it.

http://www.weather.gov/media/unr/soo/pw/top50-T850.pdf

Also the SPC sounding climatology on their website is great to use now. 

It wouldn't be that shocking to get 850mb temps below 0C by then.

Does anyone have the link that shows the record coldest/warmest 850mb temperatures at each RAOB location? I cannot seem to find it.

Here's the warmest and coldest in big PDFs... I think they used to have graphs for individual sites, but I don't seem to have the link anymore.

Did 4/1/11 miss you to the east?

I recall that being a pretty good event up in Maine.

Feb 22-23, 2009 was disappointing in ORH, we had the extremely rare boundary layer issue despite 850 temps of like -3C. Hardly ever happens in February. A lot of sloppy snow that actually mixed with rain for a time. We ended up with 4-5" of almost total slush. Really weird storm to get in February at elevation.

But the LLJ in the boundary layer out of the due south was so incredibly strong, that it was able to intrude even into the ORH hills and not be fully offset by both dynamical cooling and orographic upslope cooling.

The April Fools storm brought 15" and a short (2 hr) period of 2"/hr accum.  That marked the first SN+ obs at my place since the Feb. 2009 dump - 09-10 never came close.  

The Maine foothills were definitely the sweet spot for that 2/09 event, with 20-28" reports common while the mts missed the death band and got about a foot.   To the south, Jeff had about 15" of wetter stuff, the AUG area and similar "just-inland" places had a pasty 10-12" (with CMP recording up to 100,000 customers powerless at one point) and PWM a slushy mess that ended with a few inches of very pretty clinging snow.  My 24.5" briefly brought snow depth over 50", though it was back to 49" at my 9 PM obs time, about 11 hr after the end of accum.  24 hr later the pack had dropped to 43".  Cool Spruce noted that much of south and central Maine received similar LE (1.5-2.0") but that the ratio for his 12" was about 7:1 compared to my 13:1.

Only 384 hours away...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This period of modeling behavior is as inevitable as the seasons changing, and does so about this time every year. 

What they are doing is "imagining" the colder times more than actually assessing them, and then they imagine them more and more frequently until one or two of the models imagines the correct scenario, and the cold wave really happens.

ha.

In fact, the models started doing this, as they do almost every year, in the last 10 days of August... those model types that go out to those exotically long forecast intervals. I know most due - the Euro does, but that company doesn't apparently put out free charts beyond D10.  Anyway, they started coiling up these southern Canadian sub-540 DM SPV's ...usually around D 12, then roll 'em back up into the Maritimes ...sweeping south the first of many relief sessions for the cold obsessing attics in their seemingly eternal summer withdraw syndromes... 

But said vortex never happens...and nor does the relief ...and the user's back to shakes and sweats.  But one thing they have in their medicine kick is the knowledge that the computer enhanced hallucinations actually really are assembling those "possibilities" from the fragmented shards of failed fractals.  I.e., in the infinite obscurity of chaos, some inevitability cannot totally hide. 

That inevitability is seasonal change.  And that's where we are..  The fight is on, refereed by models as aging summer champ must eventually concede to the speed and agility of a younger rival.   

This period of modeling behavior is as inevitable as the seasons changing, and does so about this time every year. 

What they are doing is "imagining" the colder times more than actually assessing them, and then they imagine them more and more frequently until one or two of the models imagines the correct scenario, and the cold wave really happens.

ha.

In fact, the models started doing this, as they do almost every year, in the last 10 days of August... those model types that go out to those exotically long forecast intervals. I know most due - the Euro does, but that company doesn't apparently put out free charts beyond D10.  Anyway, they started coiling up these southern Canadian sub-540 DM SPV's ...usually around D 12, then roll 'em back up into the Maritimes ...sweeping south the first of many relief sessions for the cold obsessing attics in their seemingly eternal summer withdraw syndromes... 

But said vortex never happens...and nor does the relief ...and the user's back to shakes and sweats.  But one thing they have in their medicine kick is the knowledge that the computer enhanced hallucinations actually really are assembling those "possibilities" from the fragmented shards of failed fractals.  I.e., in the infinite obscurity of chaos, some inevitability cannot totally hide. 

That inevitability is seasonal change.  And that's where we are..  The fight is on, refereed by models as aging summer champ must eventually concede to the speed and agility of a younger rival.   

KO

Was in high school at the time. Security guards going from class to class telling students to call parents, teachers turning on there televisions to watch what was going on, with some students watching it as well. Matter of fact, one of my parents friend, worked at the WTC, she was running late that day, and she had worked on the 75th floor, glory be to God she was running late that morning, if she had gotten to work on time she would have most likely been dead. Man o man, God really does save people's lifes.

Archived