joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found the CWOP analysis page and looked over some MADIS data.  Looks like my local PWS runs a bit too cool during the daytime, haha. 

Here's the nighttime graph with DW5935 being the darker circle:

attachicon.gifNighttime_MPM.png

And here is the daytime graph with DW5935 on the right side border.

attachicon.gifDaytime_MPM.png

Lol at the stir I have caused today. I wasn't here to enjoy it since I had an office day in beantown. 3 hour commutes suck. I'll respond more tomorrow. Maybe we can start a conversation about why my overnight lows are 8* warmer than everyone else. :)

MPM... god that commute must be rough, lol.  You should do a 30-second time lapse of the whole drive one-time.

Again, its not that the value isn't real.  Its why is it real.  You are usually very close to HubbDave and those other sites.  Yesterday HubbDave was 4F warmer than you and more in-line with what that elevation. 

The MADIS analysis found your overnight lows within the "target box" if you look at those charts posted.  It finds your station right in line at night. 

During the daytime however, it finds you on the extreme outter edge with temperatures of 3.5F too cold from what the atmosphere would normally be at that elevation all else equal.  Its not that the temperature itself is wrong (it is correct in your little microclimate), its just interesting because not many stations see that amount of deviation. 

Yes you did!!!

Per someone's request, I took this 360* panoramic shot from my station. So, the far right wraps around to connect with the far left (it took me a minute to figure out how to read panoramic shots).

I will be relocating it at some point due to the dwarf apple tree that was put in nearby. That may have some bearing on my readings, but I don't think it accounts for too much. Especially since I've had the comfy readings prior to putting that tree in last year.

73.3/70

MPM, do you have woods to the SW-NW of the station with any topography sloping up in that direction?

MPM going thru same thing I went thru. Microclimates are called that for a reason. When you live in heavily forested neighborhoods even in lower elevations it makes a difference. Doesn't matter what anyone says or thinks. The equipment tells the story

Your issues were different, your thermo was always cold...it didn't matter if it was summer or winter or daytime or night.

Your issues were different, your thermo was always cold...it didn't matter if it was summer or winter or daytime or night.

Winter is and was close. Maybe a degree or so. Summer was and is always the big difference.

Look at the trees and forest surrounding my house and neighborhood. It certainly makes a big difference

12369FE4-DFFB-47F8-977E-16BB600AE6EF_zps

Winter is and was wats close. Maybe a degree or so. Summer was and is always the big difference.

We actually got on your case more in winter than in summer. There was the whole dewpoint discussion in summer of course...but that is a seperate issue from the ambient temperature.

Looks better exposed than most home stations. Is it fan-aspirated? I guess it's possible something's not right with the sensor - surprised no one has suggested this as the simplest explanation.

Man Dendrite created a monster showing me that MADIS analysis site.

Regarding equipment... MPM have you done anything to it recently?  Had any difficulties?  Any trees planted or cut down?

There's some interesting data on your site:

Average daytime error:

Last 52 weeks...1.7F too cold

Last 28 days...2.2F too cold

Last 14 days...3.4F too cold (significant cold drift lately)

Average nighttime error:

Last 52 weeks...+/-0.0F  (perfect!)

Last 28 days...0.5F too cold

Last 14 days...0.1F too warm

So look over that...your nighttime temperatures have been consistent and get a very high grade.

But look at that daytime data.  This is probably why we never noticed it before, because it wasn't an issue.  You are starting to pull away from other stations, on the cold side now.

On the graph, positive error means too cold, negative error is too warm.  You an see the drift in your station's daytime highs recently.

If your read my last post, the reason we never mentioned MPM is because it wasn't an issue.  Something has happened recently.  His site is drifting cold (relatively speaking) after being very consistent for a while.

Man Dendrite created a monster showing me that MADIS analysis site.

Regarding equipment... MPM have you done anything to it recently?  Had any difficulties?  Any trees planted or cut down?

There's some interesting data on your site:

Average daytime error:

Last 52 weeks...1.7F too cold

Last 28 days...2.2F too cold

Last 14 days...3.4F too cold (significant cold drift lately)

Average nighttime error:

Last 52 weeks...+/-0.0F  (perfect!)

Last 28 days...0.5F too cold

Last 14 days...0.1F too warm

So look over that...your nighttime temperatures have been consistent and get a very high grade.

But look at that daytime data.  This is probably why we never noticed it before, because it wasn't an issue.  You are starting to pull away from other stations, on the cold side now.

On the graph, positive error means too cold, negative error is too warm.  You an see the drift in your station's daytime highs recently.

attachicon.gifwxsitequal.pl.png

I'm not sure it's an obvious drift if you take into account that it's more pronoucned in summer to begin with. The error is lower in the cold season. Too bad that data doesn't go back into the summer of 2014...though it does show the September 2014 error being smaller. But I recall from the past that he would differ more in summer.

If your read my last post, the reason we never mentioned MPM is because it wasn't an issue.  Something has happened recently.  His site is drifting cold (relatively speaking) after being very consistent for a while.

I responded to this idea already above...but I suppose the only way to know for sure is to just watch it going into this cold season. If the error is still >3F into winter, then that will be proof that a real drift has occurred.

I responded to this idea already above...but I suppose the only way to know for sure is to just watch it going into this cold season. If the error is still >3F into winter, then that will be proof that a real drift has occurred.

Yeah I got confused by those dates on the bottom.  I wish there was a 2 year trend.  If you go day by day, the microclimate is the most pronounced on sunny warm days.  During precipitation its fairly close to the analyze temps, which is more of a sign that its not the station but the surroundings.   

Anyway, very fun to play with that data.

I'm looking at Stafford Springs at 676ft which is closest to DIT....but that one is more boring as its average error is 1F too hot during the day, and 0.9F too cold at night.  Nothing shattering there and well within the target box.

And something unique to that immediate area...not just the East Slope in general.

One of these days, I'll coordinate with MPM and I'll take some instruments out there and I'll see if I can figure it out. :lol:

It's real, and it's spectacular.

MPM, do you have woods to the SW-NW of the station with any topography sloping up in that direction?

Pretty much everything out this way is either woods or a field.  My knoll is surrounded by a couple of others about 200' higher.  There are narrow and very steep drops between me and each of them.

MPM... god that commute must be rough, lol.  You should do a 30-second time lapse of the whole drive one-time.

Again, its not that the value isn't real.  Its why is it real.  You are usually very close to HubbDave and those other sites.  Yesterday HubbDave was 4F warmer than you and more in-line with what that elevation. 

The MADIS analysis found your overnight lows within the "target box" if you look at those charts posted.  It finds your station right in line at night. 

During the daytime however, it finds you on the extreme outter edge with temperatures of 3.5F too cold from what the atmosphere would normally be at that elevation all else equal.  Its not that the temperature itself is wrong (it is correct in your little microclimate), its just interesting because not many stations see that amount of deviation. 

I wear my shawl with pride.  That said, if I continue up to Tower RD, my car does continue to tick down a couple more degrees.  So, a few spots do better than I within 3/4 of a mile or so.

Pretty much everything out this way is either woods or a field.  My knoll is surrounded by a couple of others about 200' higher.  There are narrow and very steep drops between me and each of them.

I wear my shawl with pride.  That said, if I continue up to Tower RD, my car does continue to tick down a couple more degrees.  So, a few spots do better than I within 3/4 of a mile or so.

Hey that's life at the Pit.  Enjoy it.  Looks like an awesome property.  I'm jelly as I really wish I had some feature that stopped my yard from heating up after 12-1pm, haha. 

Yesterday has to be about the highest difference you and Hippy could come up with though.  You guys pulled off the rare 13.9F/1000ft lapse rate with 93F at 400ft and 84F at 1,050ft ;) 

Hey that's life at the Pit.  Enjoy it.  Looks like an awesome property.  I'm jelly as I really wish I had some feature that stopped my yard from heating up after 12-1pm, haha. 

Yesterday has to be about the highest difference you and Hippy could come up with though.  You guys pulled off the rare 13.9F/1000ft lapse rate with 93F at 400ft and 84F at 1,050ft ;)

I will check to see when the shadows move in.  No doubt that's earlier at this time of year.

What a torch so far this month for the higher elevations... through 8 days Mount Mansfield (MMNV1) is at +13.1 with an average temperature of 62.9F.  This is shy of the record in 1999 of 64.6F through the 8th.  Amazing to think the record lowest though is 43.6F, almost 20F colder than what we've seen this month so far.

Average high/low right now is 60/47.

Wonder if this starts to have an affect on fall foliage.  Its also been quite dry.  In August, the summit only had 3.15" of rainfall (average is 7.76").  So far this month to date the summit has had 0.59" with a normal of 2.00" to date. 

The dry/hot couplet may be interesting to monitor as fall foliage gets rolling here in another 1-2 weeks.  It does seem like it'll be delayed this season.

What a torch so far this month for the higher elevations... through 8 days Mount Mansfield (MMNV1) is at +13.1 with an average temperature of 62.9F.  This is shy of the record in 1999 of 64.6F through the 8th.  Amazing to think the record lowest though is 43.6F, almost 20F colder than what we've seen this month so far.

Wonder if this starts to have an affect on fall foliage.  Its also been quite dry.  In August, the summit only had 3.15" of rainfall (average is 7.76").  So far this month to date the summit has had 0.59" with a normal of 2.00" to date. 

The dry/hot couplet may be interesting to monitor as fall foliage gets rolling here in another 1-2 weeks.  It does seem like it'll be delayed this season.

Dryness in the summer will tend to dull the color in the autumn.

Though some of this can be made up for if we have a lot of sunny days and start getting some cooler nights by later this month.

What was your average through day 8 last year. I know down here last year was a bigger SD as of the 8th

Well here is why I ask. I noticed up in VT and NH that once the sun sort of started to set behind woods or high terrain where it was shaded, and the wind was coming from that direction, there was a noticeable cool flow compared to sunny areas a few hundred yards away. My guess is you may be prone to that which ties into vegetation. My guess is if you had a your thermo properly placed a few hundred yards away in an area such as a field..you would be a few ticks higher. 

Dryness in the summer will tend to dull the color in the autumn.

Though some of this can be made up for if we have a lot of sunny days and start getting some cooler nights by later this month.

Yeah, I'd assume dryness in August is more important.  The overall MET summer was actually slightly wetter than normal, even though August was 4.5" below normal.  Remember MMNV1 set the all-time June record with 15.54" this summer, and July was normal rainfall.

What was your average through day 8 last year. I know down here last year was a bigger SD as of the 8th

57.8F at Mansfield on this date last year (month-to-date average)...vs. 62.9F this year.

Last year was still warm up there, but this year is averaging 5F warmer. 

Probably goes back to what Tippy has been saying, wondering why with the air masses in place, that the surface hasn't been an absolute furnace.  The anomalies have probably been higher at 850mb over the SFC so far this month. 

Archived