gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

49F up here but chilly temps on Wunderground in areas of Mass...dropping into the mid-40s.

44F Hubbardston Station, Ma

45F Bolton, Ma

46F Stow, Ma

46F Webster, Ma

No real proof but that Hubbardston Station site tends to have different readings than IMBY. Reads much higher for highs (90 vs 83 IMBY) and a bit lower (44 vs 46 here). I don't know the site

45 was the low here in Ayer.  Coldest it has been since May or June. It is 69 as of the 10 am observation tho; pretty remarkable 24 deg turn around in just 3 or 4 hours of daylight.  Wonder if we'll make a run at a 40 deg diurnal swing. 

And all this under 588 DM ridging.. Just baffles the mind how the atmosphere is pulling these idiosyncratic anomalies out of the air (pun certainly intended...) in order to verify the coldest possible result relative to input parameters... since April! 

45 was the low here in Ayer.  Coldest it has been since May or June. It is 69 as of the 10 am observation tho; pretty remarkable 24 deg turn around in just 3 or 4 hours of daylight.  Wonder if we'll make a run at a 40 deg diurnal swing. 

And all this under 588 DM ridging.. Just baffles the mind how the atmosphere is pulling these idiosyncratic anomalies out of the air (pun certainly intended...) in order to verify the coldest possible result relative to input parameters... since April! 

And even with that it's been a solidly above normal five months.

April/May/June/July/August/Avg departures

BDL: +0.1  +6.6  -0.1  +0.3  +1.9    +1.8

BDR +0.4  +4.4  -0.3  +1.8  +2.8    +1.8

BOS: -0.1  +4.4  -3.0  +0.5  +2.6    +0.9

ORH:+0.2  +6.3  -0.6  +1.7  +1.9    +1.9

PVD: -0.1  +4.4  -1.6  +1.1  +2.7    +1.3

Seasons turning. Labor Day Weekend starting autumnal and ending in high summer. But autumn will tighten its grip as we move deeper into September.

Moving to a bigger house in a nice neighborhood has triggered a historical perpective. I walked out of an awful marriage 3/31/89 with literally the shirt on my back. Ex got the house (she lost it eventually in foreclosure despite getting hefty payments from me), the cars, tons of $$ every month from me. I moved to Boston 2 years later still only with a card table and chairs and other donated furniture and a bed that was a gift from my mother. I met my wonderful wife a year after moving here and we built a home together originally rented from my buddy who sold it to us during a weak market in the 1990s. Worked hard...never coveted.....and voila.......bought a lovely home. Pinch me....a long way from the card table!

And even with that it's been a solidly above normal five months.

April/May/June/July/August/Avg departures

BDL: +0.1  +6.6  -0.1  +0.3  +1.9    +1.8

BDR +0.4  +4.4  -0.3  +1.8  +2.8    +1.8

BOS: -0.1  +4.4  -3.0  +0.5  +2.6    +0.9

ORH:+0.2  +6.3  -0.6  +1.7  +1.9    +1.9

PVD: -0.1  +4.4  -1.6  +1.1  +2.7    +1.3

Yeah, I looked at these the other day, myself, just to confirm my own suspicions, that despite sensible impressions, the baseline is pretty much above normal over the last decade.  

Digression:   "+.2" is the new norm. 

In the absence of a modulating climate ( in this case ... as we all well are aware, a warming one (Earth over) ) the norm is 0.0.

But, the temperature rise in the global means is on a steady upward trend line.  That is one way to assume/derive some predictive skill by climate (pretty much the only way).  If we know the climate is warming, and we are highly suspect of the causes, while knowing those causes are still actionable, the "expectation" should be > 0.0 the majority of time.

Not that anyone should expect 0.0 because obviously ... But logic dictates that if climate is all about summing negatives and positives and deviding by n-terms, one should expect that doing that arithmetic operation in these modern times should result positive more than negative, in support of the warming climate. 

So the idea I'm dancing around here is those numbers are pretty much average when factoring in the climate modality (warming). There's that.. and, I'm preeeety sure CDC/CPC consider anything within + or - 1.00 to be average anyway (I'm sure they have some justification for that).  

Digression aside, the deeper mystery is that the pattern's "look" more than not has offered what should have been warmer results, but never seems to. That was the original point of that sarcasm.  You looks at the 12z initialization this morning, with that mammoth ridge and heights exceeding 588dm, one would never guess it was 45 F in interior areas.  This is just one small example of what's been going on all summer. Interesting...

Yeah, but he leaped over the juiciest parts of that anecdote ...

There's gotta be a deliciously dark back-story in that 100,000 lb elephant-loaded statement, "...Walked out on an awful marriage 3/31/89..."

Lol......lets just say it was stormy which includes highs and lows. The final 5-6 years were dominated by misery with me being scapegoated for all things wrong with the universe. Life is way better now....

I've given the metaphor of my 40th bday night. Giants playing SF Monday night football. Bavaro carries 3 guys on his back for a first down. Giants down at the half rally to win. Me constipated and feeling literally awful emotionally and physically. I take a mondo dump at halftime, Giants win.....figure it's a metaphor for my life if I'm lucky. It actually has worked out that way.

Lol......lets just say it was stormy which includes highs and lows. The final 5-6 years were dominated by misery with me being scapegoated for all things wrong with the universe. Life is way better now....

I've given the metaphor of my 40th bday night. Giants playing SF Monday night football. Bavaro carries 3 guys on his back for a first down. Giants down at the half rally to win. Me constipated and feeling literally awful emotionally and physically. I take a mondo dump at halftime, Giants win.....figure it's a metaphor for my life if I'm lucky. It actually has worked out that way.

Lol, it is pretty amazing to think back at all the trials and tribulations.Massive dump Jan 26th 2015 and was cleansed for life.  speaking of which, yikes  Nov 2nd

Not sure which is more impressive; that symbolism, or that you actually recall taking a specific mondo dump...  

Although, come to think about it, I think mondo dumps are probably much more ingrained in the human psyche than most are aware. If one put their powers of recall to the task, they may start realizing they have committed a strangely large number of poops to memory. 

I remember once when I was 17, I was with a clique of the usual suspects that had returned from a day of bouncing around in the waves and other beach affairs .. replete with the standard smoldering uneasiness in the airs of whether I was cool enough, shared in abundance by all teenage years.  We stopped off at one particularly recalcitrant cool kid's house later that afternoon.  He was kinda like ... alpha male larva, or at least his sophomoric brand of ridicule of others, long hair, fading smells of marijuana smoke, and concert tee-shirts came off as a wannabe. He was vaguely intimidating enough.  Mainly because I was a fledgling gamma male, certainly feeling like the outside looking in type... The social dynamic of the day seemed accepting enough, though, so I was about as on a roll as any coveted insecure kid could ever be.  

Man, it roiled from within.  All that tidal yoga, hot dogs, coke, and more diving in and out of waves and I got to be about as lubed up and ready for a purge event as any physical being possible could be.  And, it hit on the way to said kid's house.  

So we get there ... I'm almost sweating do to the raw power I had to generate just to hold back the turtle head. Yet I pulled it off. I actually recall thinking that I could slip into the bathroom like I had to take a piss, and just motivate through the crisis with a degree of rapidity, and I could be out before anyone cool suspected anything.  The only trouble was, I depressed the lever and nothing happened.

Consequently I think I must have left an 18 inch turban coiled up like a viper lane dead in its porcelain lair.  

It's over!  I'm busted.  SCHIT!, I thought.  But wait - could it be?  That, just as I was exiting the bathroom, people were already leaving the house to jump into cars and head over to other cool destinations, and if anything I was rushed to not be left behind?!  Just the out miracle needed to elixir the situation.  

Some three or four days later. Some fragmented version of the same group was en route to a keg party, and that same guy comes out of no where and says, 'What the f!  someone took a huge dump at my house in that toilet that doesn't work and just left it there.'

I just kept peering out the window as trees and houses passed by and figured not joining into the conversation would be my best alibi.  The conversation just change course and never returned...

It's funny.  Some of our most vivid memories in life are centered around piles of schit. For all our hubris and conceits, from genetic engineering to nuclear physics, to deep field astronomy, great works of symphonies and cinema and back... at the end of it all, ...schit.   

Not sure which is more impressive; that symbolism, or that you actually recall taking a specific mondo dump...

Although, come to think about it, I think mondo dumps are probably much more ingrained in the human psyche than most are aware. If one put their powers of recall to the task, they may start realizing they have committed a strangely large number of poops to memory.

I remember once when I was 17, I was with a clique of the usual suspects that had returned from a day of bouncing around in the waves and other beach affairs .. replete with the standard smoldering uneasiness in the airs of whether I was cool enough, shared in abundance by all teenage years. We stopped off at one particularly recalcitrant cool kid's house later that afternoon. He was kinda like ... alpha male larva, or at least his sophomoric brand of ridicule of others, long hair, fading smells of marijuana smoke, and concert tee-shirts came off as a wannabe. He was vaguely intimidating enough. Mainly because I was a fledgling gamma male, certainly feeling like the outside looking in type... The social dynamic of the day seemed accepting enough, though, so I was about as on a roll as any coveted insecure kid could ever be.

Man, it roiled from within. All that tidal yoga, hot dogs, coke, and more diving in and out of waves and I got to be about as lubed up and ready for a purge event as any physical being possible could be. And, it hit on the way to said kid's house.

So we get there ... I'm almost sweating do to the raw power I had to generate just to hold back the turtle head. Yet I pulled it off. I actually recall thinking that I could slip into the bathroom like I had to take a piss, and just motivate through the crisis with a degree of rapidity, and I could be out before anyone cool suspected anything. The only trouble was, I depressed the lever and nothing happened.

Consequently I think I must have left an 18 inch turban coiled up like a viper lane dead in its porcelain lair.

It's over! I'm busted. SCHIT!, I thought. But wait - could it be? That, just as I was exiting the bathroom, people were already leaving the house to jump into cars and head over to other cool destinations, and if anything I was rushed to not be left behind?! Just the out miracle needed to elixir the situation.

Some three or four days later. Some fragmented version of the same group was en route to a keg party, and that same guy comes out of no where and says, 'What the f! someone took a huge dump at my house in that toilet that doesn't work and just left it there.'

I just kept peering out the window as trees and houses passed by and figured not joining into the conversation would be my best alibi. The conversation just change course and never returned...

It's funny. Some of our most vivid memories in life are centered around piles of schit. For all our hubris and conceits, from genetic engineering to nuclear physics, to deep field astronomy, great works of symphonies and cinema and back... at the end of it all, ...schit.

Pure gold as always.

Archived