gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOX dropped highs around here for tommorrow. Point and click went from 96 down to 92.

I think tomorrow is a lot of low 90s with maybe some 94s thrown in for typical furnace spots. I'd like to see temps higher than +20C as I said a few days ago for widespread mid 90s with 96-97 thrown in. At least IMO.

Tomorrow's one of my days in the office and they have 94* for Boston. Gross. If nothing else this year, I'll get to experience the weather differences between eastern and western Mass quite a bit.

You mean like smoking cirrus vs S+ further east? Sounds horrible you'll be traveling to Boston a few times for work. What a terrible world class city.

You mean like smoking cirrus vs S+ further east? Sounds horrible you'll be traveling to Boston a few times for work. What a terrible world class city.

Trust me--that image has come to mind.  I can also see the opposite where I'm the snow-caked car and folks east of I-190 are trying to figure out where I had come from as they drive along their wet roads.

The deal could be worse.  I'm in the office Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays.  They're putting me up in a hotel across from the office on Monday nights so I'm only driving in and out twice a week.  Plus, they gave me a parking spot--a bonus for any recreational trips into the city.

Trust me--that image has come to mind. I can also see the opposite where I'm the snow-caked car and folks east of I-190 are trying to figure out where I had come from as they drive along their wet roads.

The deal could be worse. I'm in the office Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. They're putting me up in a hotel across from the office on Monday nights so I'm only driving in and out twice a week. Plus, they gave me a parking spot--a bonus for any recreational trips into the city.

Where in the city? I think you'll enjoy it. A nice change from staring at a lightning scarred tree that divides your pasture.

I'm on top of a steep hill.  The Davis is in an open area on the line dividing lawn area and the pasture. Perhaps 100' or so from any trees with the exception of a dwarf apple tree we put in.  I'll need to move it away from that, but the temp trend I've recorded preceeded putting in that tree.  FWIW, my diurnal temps seem in synch with other GC sites (nocturnal is a different story).

I have to go into Greenfield later on today.  I'm going to video the car thermometer to show what happens when you climb the few miles out of the valley. It's a pretty dramatic difference between the two. 

Not a bad night here tonight; got to 57.1

Same exact deal here..It's no wonder why I don't radiate...But the days stay 6-8 degrees cooler than BDL

http://en-us.topographic-map.com/maps/41.8720805,-72.3916878,41.8773115,-72.3873851/?Name=Robin+Circle

Same exact deal here..It's no wonder why I don't radiate...But the days stay 6-8 degrees cooler than BDL

http://en-us.topographic-map.com/maps/41.8720805,-72.3916878,41.8773115,-72.3873851/?Name=Robin+Circle

our forested environs really have a different feel in summer. Hills and shade feel so much different than open valleys especially on days like this week. 56 this Am

They've been extra brutal lately... lots of 91-94 with lows 82-84.

Even some dewpoints up to 82 giving a heat index of 110.

Lots of warm season record high mins for them in the 2000s. Not sure if it's a siting/instrumentation change or legit truth. The coops with long periods of record have been fairly torchy too. Globular worming.

Well most Macs don't have Microsoft..but I just figured out another way by taking a screenshot and pasting it to desktop..then photo bucket upload

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-07%20at%209.17.0

Aren't you on the east side of Robin Circle. I noticed you selected the highest elevation on your road.

And... you're back. Happy Labor Day to us all. 

Just using the higher granularity of the free charts at PSU, the Euro (0z) appears to be the warmest in the 850mb ...warm conveyor, that extends from the hotter regions of the TX highlands/NM.  It has 20 to 21C in that belt of air.

Contrasting, the last three cycles of the NAM is more in the 19 C range.  I suppose an observation or two of some actual soundings upstream may lend a clue there ... but Meteorology has never been good enough to me to want to effort at all for such findings, and I'd instead rather engage in the fun of open speculation instead - 

That difference will play out in the temperature realizations at the surface.  Both sources (and most in between) have nearly ideal patterns supportive of hot weather in SNE.  This ...sort of Sonoran release event is moving curvi-linearly around the NW periphery of a WAR-like ridge, and that charged air is amid the gradient belt that increases advection terms.  So that breeze 'tumbles' and mixes the air and helps expand BL depths to higher altitudes, such that stablizing differential means a hotter surface... yadda yadda..

But if all that happens at 19C -vs - 21C, and assuming these conditions allow for 850mb mixing depth to be reached (which it should given the overall synopsis), that's the difference between 91 ish and perhaps 96.  

Just perfect to keep the debate alive.  Fascinating...

In any event, this on the surface eval looks to be the best heat potential of this now supposedly passe summer.  Although, neither calendar truly means anything in atmospheric terms and events... climatology argues that dimming warmth is justified.  Duh. But here we are... 

The Euro really looks hot to me.  I would be curious to see a MOS-like product based upon that particular machine output. I wonder what it would have for places like Lawrence Mass, a typical blue-Bunsen burner location.  Newark and even Boston do well with these firey dragan fart conveyors, too, because the west-ish wind is ideally downsloping to add. In fact the whole region does gets an additional tick from that.  

If this were June 30th, duck... But, heh, September 7 can still muster a 100 F as history has shown; who knows what superbly ideal conditions lent to those results. Not sure that's this is one of those times.  Anyway, 19 -vs 21 is significant difference for two high resolution models to be disagreeing on, a mere 36 hours away. 

If this were June 30th, duck... But, heh, September 7 can still muster a 100 F as history has shown; who knows what superbly ideal conditions lent to those results. Not sure that's this is one of those times. Anyway, 19 -vs 21 is significant difference for two high resolution models to be disagreeing on, a mere 36 hours away.

Is a 2C difference at H85 that big of a difference at 36hrs?

Just think of winter storms where 36 hours out one model shows +1C and another is -1C. I feel like those differences happen quite a bit at this lead.

Is a 2C difference at H85 that big of a difference at 36hrs?

Just think of winter storms where 36 hours out one model shows +1C and another is -1C. I feel like those differences happen quite a bit at this lead.

You would expect it much more in the colder months than summer months...less chaos in the warm months and typically you don't have to deal with tons of gradients.

Archived