• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Summer Doldrums Banter

Baroclinic Zone

I think I saw a cold advisory at least once out west during every month comprising this joke of a warm season..  

Yeah, they did have a heat wave in the inter mountain West and Pac NW areas ...end of June early some odd July - but I distinctly recall seeing those blues and thinking, 'heh, that's odd'

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was in the low 70s at the picnic tables at 4,000ft.  On this same date back before the fabled 2000-2001 winter (still the benchmark in modern times up here for winter), the picnic tables had a high of 45F and a low of 30F, with graupel showers.

After the heat today up there, its hard to believe we could have a day of 45/30 right now with frozen precipitation at the summits.

Today was in the low 70s at the picnic tables at 4,000ft.  On this same date back before the fabled 2000-2001 winter (still the benchmark in modern times up here for winter), the picnic tables had a high of 45F and a low of 30F, with graupel showers.

After the heat today up there, its hard to believe we could have a day of 45/30 right now with frozen precipitation at the summits.

Can you wait 288 hours ?

gfs_namer_288_500_vort_ht.gif

Not sure which is more impressive; that symbolism, or that you actually recall taking a specific mondo dump...

Although, come to think about it, I think mondo dumps are probably much more ingrained in the human psyche than most are aware. If one put their powers of recall to the task, they may start realizing they have committed a strangely large number of poops to memory.

I remember once when I was 17, I was with a clique of the usual suspects that had returned from a day of bouncing around in the waves and other beach affairs .. replete with the standard smoldering uneasiness in the airs of whether I was cool enough, shared in abundance by all teenage years. We stopped off at one particularly recalcitrant cool kid's house later that afternoon. He was kinda like ... alpha male larva, or at least his sophomoric brand of ridicule of others, long hair, fading smells of marijuana smoke, and concert tee-shirts came off as a wannabe. He was vaguely intimidating enough. Mainly because I was a fledgling gamma male, certainly feeling like the outside looking in type... The social dynamic of the day seemed accepting enough, though, so I was about as on a roll as any coveted insecure kid could ever be.

Man, it roiled from within. All that tidal yoga, hot dogs, coke, and more diving in and out of waves and I got to be about as lubed up and ready for a purge event as any physical being possible could be. And, it hit on the way to said kid's house.

So we get there ... I'm almost sweating do to the raw power I had to generate just to hold back the turtle head. Yet I pulled it off. I actually recall thinking that I could slip into the bathroom like I had to take a piss, and just motivate through the crisis with a degree of rapidity, and I could be out before anyone cool suspected anything. The only trouble was, I depressed the lever and nothing happened.

Consequently I think I must have left an 18 inch turban coiled up like a viper lane dead in its porcelain lair.

It's over! I'm busted. SCHIT!, I thought. But wait - could it be? That, just as I was exiting the bathroom, people were already leaving the house to jump into cars and head over to other cool destinations, and if anything I was rushed to not be left behind?! Just the out miracle needed to elixir the situation.

Some three or four days later. Some fragmented version of the same group was en route to a keg party, and that same guy comes out of no where and says, 'What the f! someone took a huge dump at my house in that toilet that doesn't work and just left it there.'

I just kept peering out the window as trees and houses passed by and figured not joining into the conversation would be my best alibi. The conversation just change course and never returned...

It's funny. Some of our most vivid memories in life are centered around piles of schit. For all our hubris and conceits, from genetic engineering to nuclear physics, to deep field astronomy, great works of symphonies and cinema and back... at the end of it all, ...schit.

I'm tired as hell, but that cracked me up. You some writer.

Seasons turning. Labor Day Weekend starting autumnal and ending in high summer. But autumn will tighten its grip as we move deeper into September.

Moving to a bigger house in a nice neighborhood has triggered a historical perpective. I walked out of an awful marriage 3/31/89 with literally the shirt on my back. Ex got the house (she lost it eventually in foreclosure despite getting hefty payments from me), the cars, tons of $$ every month from me. I moved to Boston 2 years later still only with a card table and chairs and other donated furniture and a bed that was a gift from my mother. I met my wonderful wife a year after moving here and we built a home together originally rented from my buddy who sold it to us during a weak market in the 1990s. Worked hard...never coveted.....and voila.......bought a lovely home. Pinch me....a long way from the card table!

Things can turn out well even when in the moment they appear entirely bleak.

Spent the afternoon in Boston yesterday.  Nice day to wander around up there.

West Bethel to Rangeley area. I visited a weenie ridgeline in Bethel this year with a magnificent 360 degree view of the Mahoosics and the Whites, tons of snow more than anywhere around. Total weenie spot and I was pleasantly surprised at the house price for what I am looking for. Next summer is planned for a trip to bring my wife to look.

A home purchase in any of Coos, Oxford, Franklin, or Somerset Counties automatically comes with a free GYX spotter ID #.

I'd love to be right there over 1k. Maybe some time down the road when things settle down. I like living near the water and good storms, but not a fan of heat. Wife is 100% opposite of me, so I have work to do.

I was just talking about job movement in the NWS the other, and our ITO remarked that generally the spouse's upward trajectory must follow one of two truths. Bigger or warmer, but preferably both.

So I guess DVN is still on the table for me, it's both bigger and warmer.

You've probably already answered this before, but are you on a hill? If you don't have an open area for the Davis you'll read low (shaded) during the day and high (IR from trees) at night.

I'm on top of a steep hill.  The Davis is in an open area on the line dividing lawn area and the pasture. Perhaps 100' or so from any trees with the exception of a dwarf apple tree we put in.  I'll need to move it away from that, but the temp trend I've recorded preceeded putting in that tree.  FWIW, my diurnal temps seem in synch with other GC sites (nocturnal is a different story).

I have to go into Greenfield later on today.  I'm going to video the car thermometer to show what happens when you climb the few miles out of the valley. It's a pretty dramatic difference between the two. 

Not a bad night here tonight; got to 57.1

Archived