joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20th White Rain/Slush Event Discussion and Obs

yoda

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down to 44. Dropping quick since the sun went away.

It's going to drop quick and then plateau in the upper 30s in advance of precip...not bad....Just north of Baltimore the column is already below freezing from 925mb up....Perhaps I am too optimistic but I don't see why many people aren't going to get 2"+

It's going to drop quick and then plateau in the upper 30s in advance of precip...not bad....Just north of Baltimore the column is already below freezing from 925mb up....Perhaps I am too optimistic but I don't see why many people aren't going to get 2"+

I don't think you're too optimistic. I think some folks are too pessimistic. If the precip shield was being modeled as spotty or wimpy then we would struggle pretty bad to pile it up. Everything I looked at this afternoon had a similar there. Comes in and gets going hot and heavy fairly quickly. Doesn't look like spurts and lulls at all.

Should be a fun event to watch unfold even if the totals are low. I'll be thrilled with a 3 hour period of mod/heavy rates when it's daylight.

I don't think you're too optimistic. I think some folks are too pessimistic. If the precip shield was being modeled as spotty or wimpy then we would struggle pretty bad to pile it up. Everything I looked at this afternoon had a similar there. Comes in and gets going hot and heavy fairly quickly. Doesn't look like spurts and lulls at all.

Should be a fun event to watch unfold even if the totals are low. I'll be thrilled with a 3 hour period of mod/heavy rates when it's daylight.

I don't buy the low ratios either. Warm ground doesn't cause melted snow flakes until after they are on the ground. The column is below freezing all the way to the surface, at least is modeled that way out here. Warm ground will limit acc but on surfaced that can match air temps, like cars, decks, etc. we should see "normal" compaction and accumulation, in the areas that make it down to a degree or so of freezing. I'd say low end 8:1 to high end 10:1

It's creating its own cold air as we speak

ha...Roanoke is 35 and light rain at they're only at 1000'....and they don't have the advantage of a cold air bleed...

down to 46...wooo!.

the cold air bleed is real (i hope)....PHL is 43/4 right now....everywhere around them is mid to upper 30s..the new DCA

The 12Z model-suite blend, including the warm-GFS, was near ideal given how marginal the temps are: All showed good precip before 12Z tomorrow morning. The 18Z runs of the models that have 18Z runs (GFS/NAM/RGEM) all delayed the push or went a bit drier compared to their 12Z runs, but that happens quite a bit with the off-hour runs for some reason. We just went through an 18Z suite wobble hours before onset with the 3/5 storm. 

The overall look hasn't changed that much in either direction since yesterday, so I think many of the public forecasts look good. All give the usual cautions for the urban core while emphasizing more accumulations on grass than roads in the suburbs. I agree in that I don't see the need to be super-pessimistic about this one.... 

The meteocentre maps show about 0.45" falling as snow imby (this doesn't include the Euro or UKMET).  The high-res RGEM actually gives me the least snow.  Surface temps are marginal, but the rest of the column isn't bad.  How rapidly does snow melt on a cloudy day when it's 34 degrees outside?  Given the uncertainty around p-type and ratios, I'll go with 2-5".

Archived