joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 20th White Rain/Slush Event Discussion and Obs

yoda

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a question:  Do marginal events work better in early December or mid-March?  My inclination is to say early December because we don't have any sun angle issues.  But places like NYC and Boston probably do better in marginal setups in late March owing to the fact that ocean water is much colder?

ETA: sorry if my question is off-topic, feel free to move to banter thread if you'd like.  thanks.

Baro is good but would like it to hold around 30.35 and not go up or down much. Evap is going to be like 50% of the spread from dew vs temp so that will help. The ground is still likely colder than average for right now so with it at night it will accumulate. This looks good form what I just described, 2 to possibly 4" for around and outside Beltway, 1-2" at the Washington Monument and the usual trace at DCA.

based on your assessment of DCA snow, I should be averaging more compared to them, and yet I don't.  Perhaps I am measuring wrong and need a spotter class.  

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC

1124 AM EDT THU MAR 19 2015

VAZ029-030-040-501-507-192330-

/O.EXA.KLWX.WW.Y.0020.150320T0700Z-150320T1800Z/

PAGE-WARREN-RAPPAHANNOCK-NORTHERN FAUQUIER-NORTHERN VA BLUE RIDGE-

1124 AM EDT THU MAR 19 2015

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 2 PM EDT

FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS

ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT

FROM 3 AM TO 2 PM EDT FRIDAY.

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 2 TO 4 INCHES.

* TIMING...LIGHT RAIN WILL MOVE IN THIS EVENING...TRANSITIONING

TO ALL SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT AND LASTING THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY...MAKING

TRAVELING HAZARDOUS.

Wow. If anyone is buying that...a move to a WSW might be needed?

I recall reading in the NE forum how the RGEM was most bullish for them the night they beat the snowfall record, and it's been pretty decent around here this year too

not that I'm buying it hook, line, and sinker, but I do put more faith in it than the NAM or GFS at this point

I think all of us are more in the NAM/4km NAM/RGEM camp than the GFS camp ;)

The problem for me and you is the SFC...we're probably snow until 9-10am....an 850 temp of 0.3 with every other layer comfortably below freezing will be snow...I doubt we hit 32....though 33-34 is probably fine...last year on 3/25, it wasn't an issue on unpaved surfaces...even DCA managed 1.7"...that was a better air mass though....

I recall reading in the NE forum how the RGEM was most bullish for them the night they beat the snowfall record, and it's been pretty decent around here this year too

not that I'm buying it hook, line, and sinker, but I do put more faith in it than the NAM or GFS at this point

I hear that. Curious how the Euro will play out now. This could be silly come AM rush hour. Thankfully...I'll watch it unfold from the home office.

GFS is fast with moving 850's N. 0c already N of DCA @ 12z. Meso models painting a different picture. Hmmm... I'll go with whatever the euro says in a couple hours. 

Shocker.  :P

I'm going with the RGEM.  And the wet system.  And the incredibly low dew points.

Archived