Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 20th White Rain/Slush Event Discussion and Obs

yoda

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I have about 2" in the bag or .25" on the sidewalks based on non GFS consensus. It'll probably come around like it does. Qpf can drop day prior too but these events like to be moist overall. It should come in on the early side too I'd think.

I hope DCA is 33 and rain.

I think I have about 2" in the bag or .25" on the sidewalks based on non GFS consensus. It'll probably come around like it does. Qpf can drop day prior too but these events like to be moist overall. It should come in on the early side too I'd think.

I hope DCA is 33 and rain.

It does look like that on the non GFS models... pretty much 4/5am or so, which IMO will help accumulate better... on the grass ;)

4km NAM brings precip into DC region and knocking on the door at around 4am Friday

And continues to be the "snowiest" model as it has DC snowing through around 18z, but thats about when the precip is tapering off and about to shut off

24hr QPF map through hr 45 shows ~0.75" QPF for DCA, in which the majority of the QPF would appear to be snow

Hi rez has DC knocking on .5 liquid at 10a with a snow profile on regular at 11a. I dunno man. If it comes in early.... GFS dreamcrusher inbound?

GFS was screwing up the last snow event (too low qpf) until about 24 hrs. out if I recall

it may be doing the same thing here....bump up the qpf and the atmosphere stays colder longer so the combo gets you the NAM/RGEM

possible that it's the same problem this time....or it humiliates the RGEM/NAM and Hi-Res NAM

It's interesting that as we get closer models get snowier with this.  I'm still having a hard time getting enthused though.

Elevation will matter but if we get it in early enough it might not be critical. Seems we have pretty good odds of at least .15-.2 by 12z which even being mean with could give us an inch.. then at least some brief mod+ banding before flip? See what GFS says in a sec.

Elevation will matter but if we get it in early enough it might not be critical. Seems we have pretty good odds of at least .15-.2 by 12z which even being mean with could give us an inch.. then at least some brief mod+ banding before flip? See what GFS says in a sec.

GFS has been stingy as of late though.  I don't hold out much hope for that

looks like mostly rain to me

I don't think so.. maybe some to start. This is 12z at DCA. It goes bad probably right after.. 850 seems like a decent enough measure on this one.

lBAZdZY.gif

Archived