Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Anafrontal Thumpul Discussion 3/5

TheSnowman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic > 60hour NAM red herring all along?

Certainly looking that way!   

The only reason I extended any credence at all to that NAM was because at a few points in time ... some of the other global numerical models had something similar.  They had all since lost it... Then the NAM tries to pick it up at 84 hours and hold it?  good luck with that...But, seeing as the former was true, worth keeping an eye on. 

I had three bullet points on this, two of which were red flags...  one was that ANA's are notoriously over QPF'ed. Two, the NAM is highly susceptible to NW error beyond 48 hours out.   Most Mets here know that - 

The up shot is that my plan to see Logan fail to exceed the 107.xx snow record is almost complete - muah hahahaha

Amazing how many here still live and die with the Nam. Even after all these years . Even seasoned posters

It is the undeniable trend since yesterday afternoon that would have me worried...not the solution verbatim.

It is the undeniable trend since yesterday afternoon that would have me worried...not the solution verbatim.

There hasn't been any noticeable trend. The ens all are bullish. So you toss the nam. Euro looked good. Rgem looked good. Ukie was warning snow to pike etc etc.. Now if everything whiffs like the NAM ..then we have a trend..Not sure why folks are thinking Thursday is sunny

There hasn't been any noticeable trend. The ens all are bullish. So you toss the nam. Euro looked good. Rgem looked good. Ukie was warning snow to pike etc etc.. Now if everything whiffs like the NAM ..then we have a trend..Not sure why folks are thinking Thursday is sunny

Well hopefully rgem doesn't go similarly in a few minutes. Anafrontal snow events are rare for a reason.

You are giving the forum a first hand example of confirmation bias.

American guidance has all ticked worse...including the GEFS even if they are still good verbatim. Euro was OK at 00z and GGEM...they were basically status quo...Ukie ticked worse and RGEM ticked worse.

Take all of the guidance...even excluding the NAM....as a whole and you have a definite south trend. Maybe the other guidance will come north at 12z, but I have my doubts. And not just because the NAM came in south...this setup with the formidable northern stream is going to have a hard time overcoming the confluence.

Sure, the trend is there but we will now need the GFS/Euro/Ukie/GGEM to bail on an advisory snowfall for this to suck, no?

I see that as a distinct possibility, but certainly not a lock. You will probably still be ok for advisory down there since there was more wiggle room in SE MA, but if you are the northern fringe of advisory snows, then that means this trended from advisory to nuisance/whiff for a lot of the forum. I think most would view that as "suck".

But we'll see what the big boy models do. It's possible the NAM is just on crack...but the subtle southward shift in other guidance before the NAM came out was already there.

I see that as a distinct possibility, but certainly not a lock. You will probably still be ok for advisory down there since there was more wiggle room in SE MA, but if you are the northern fringe of advisory snows, then that means this trended from advisory to nuisance/whiff for a lot of the forum. I think most would view that as "suck".

But we'll see what the big boy models do. It's possible the NAM is just on crack...but the subtle southward shift in other guidance before the NAM came out was already there.

Will,  There was only really a shift south on the Ukie and it was subtle.  The Gem, GFS, Euro, and ensembles really didn't shift south, did it?

Will,  There was only really a shift south on the Ukie and it was subtle.  The Gem, GFS, Euro, and ensembles really didn't shift south, did it?

GFS and GEFS trended a bit south at 06z...GEM and Euro were OK at 00z. RGEM went south at 06z.

We will find out a lot more at 12z...we don't have any intermediate runs for the Euro and GGEM obviously.

I just saw the 00z Euro on this thing... 

Sorry, the Euro is just not that bad of a model - this, imho, was never going to happen, and I bet future NAM solution correct this right on to a partly cloud, dry NW breeze for everyone too.

Least, certainly would not surprise me.   We'll see.

Archived