• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Anafrontal Thumpul Discussion 3/5

TheSnowman

Don't the ensembles tend to diffuse those sharp gradients? I know they usually make it look better than reality when we are sitting up here on the edge. A few juiced members make it look more widespread than it usually is.

Yeah I mentioned that earlier. A few weenie members can skew it. I feel like at this stage, baton is passed from ensemble to op runs.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems like a case where you give more weight to the ens than you do the ops. Caution flags will end up buried by the snowplow

I do give weight to them, yes but I don't completely discredit their Op runs either.  The atmosphere has found every which way to give us snow this season and I think will just be one more.  I feel much more confident about places S of the Pike right now than I do N of it as far as 4"+ type totals.

I hope so. But that northern stream energy is really crushing. Caution flags remain 100% full mast until there's good agreement that the southern stream over powers it.

We've seen a lot of events tick back SE this year at the last second...doesn't mean it happens this time but you have to understand that this can trend either direction.

I agree, without that strong southern stream energy, this is meh.  They act in concert with each other to give us this potential.

If the combined total from this one and tonight at BOS is >3.7", it's a success in my mind. Should mean this needs to be 2" ish to do that which I think it can do, but if it doesn't, I don't really see something behind it that's going to put us over the top, so I'm counting on this one to deliver or preparing to face disappointment at falling just short after coming back all this way.

1) I wonder what models will be more prone to underestimate: the confluence or the southern stream energy.

And I wonder how this tendency changes in March vs. earlier in the winter.

2) One difference that may (or may not) be important: compared to prior events in which we shifted southeast as we got closer, QPF will be driven by a southern stream system moving into the confluence rather than a northern stream system. This might even favor confluence, I don't know.

Also wonder how this impacts which models do better. Canadians and GFS seemed to do really well with the northern stream epicosity parade, and NAM performed like just another ensemble member. I wonder if things are different this time.

I'm out in the middle of the runway waving massive Scooter caution flags with this one right now.

06z trends on the American guidance were not inspiring after a status quo on the 00z.

That confluence to the north is really strong. We will hope that the southern energy really trends better at 12z because this one is running out of time.

Yea, this winter went all 2010 on me a few weeks ago. 

I think my record chances are toast, but Boston and may spots in CT should have theirs.

1) I wonder what models will be more prone to underestimate: the confluence or the southern stream energy.

And I wonder how this tendency changes in March vs. earlier in the winter.

2) One difference that may (or may not) be important: compared to prior events in which we shifted southeast as we got closer, QPF will be driven by a southern stream system moving into the confluence rather than a northern stream system. This might even favor confluence, I don't know.

Also wonder how this impacts which models do better. Canadians and GFS seemed to do really well with the northern stream epicosity parade, and NAM performed like just another ensemble member. I wonder if things are different this time.

Southern energy will be better sampled at 12z near S California coast than last night but still not fully onshore. But it should have enough of it to make any noticeable trends meaningful IMHO. IF we trend flatter at 12z and the southern energy looks a bit worse, then that might be unrecoverable at this stage.

So we will hope that it looks stronger. That would be a good sign.

I break balls a lot, but I'm glad you guys are looking good again. 

Can't complain too much.

Thanks, 4km NAM is sick especially in places like Philly which are below normal for the year. I hope those guys get smoked, lots of good peeps, looks like they get the hammer stuff.

If the combined total from this one and tonight at BOS is >3.7", it's a success in my mind. Should mean this needs to be 2" ish to do that which I think it can do, but if it doesn't, I don't really see something behind it that's going to put us over the top, so I'm counting on this one to deliver or preparing to face disappointment at falling just short after coming back all this way.

Doesn't have to be >3.7. 3.5 ties and 3.6 breaks the record. I was wrong before.

Archived