joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Anafrontal Thumpul Discussion 3/5

TheSnowman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The northern stream induced confluence is a formidable obstacle...it is what worries me in this event.

On one hand, it is our friend to a point since it provides the cold and also the backstop to produce the ML frontogenesis, but on the other hand, it is very powerful and overbearing should we get too high of a dose of it.

We're really looking for the Goldilocks solution.

96,:-} Thursday is something I have been following for over a week,hope it pans out

You have been following it...you were mentioning it when most didn't even know it was a possibility...rather a very minor after thought after Tuesday night/Wednesday system. Hope you/we can cash in. Would certainly help my totals out(at about 70" so far), and boost them up a bit more.

Almost a carbon copy of the 18z...might have been slightly more generous with the 1-2" northern periphery and slightly less robust on the south coast, but that is very minor detail.

I was really hoping to see improvement from the GFS to start thinking seriously about a widespread warning event in this....particularly because the GEFS have been balls to the wall with a huge snowstorm on at least half the members and probably more than half.

We'll see what the GGEM, Ukie, and Euro do though.

I think we can most likely not expect what the NAM is showing to happen. At this point, since the GFS is consistent on a more modest scenario, maybe we take a blend of the two, and that might be more realistic. Even that wouldn't be all that bad. Euro wasn't all to good on its 12z run today, so if that too doesn't trend better, NAM may be really overdoing this. Fun to follow nevertheless.

Some 0z NAM Bufkits... these will probably be underforecast in the best bands, taking the NAM verbatim:

KBOS 6.8" / 0.68 qpf (includes 1.2"/1.5" snow hours 59/60)

KTAN 6.8" / 0.75 qpf

KORH 7.2" / 0.2 qpf

KPYM 8.9" / 0.96 qpf

KBED 6.4" / 0.63 qpf

KLWM 5.2" / 0.5 qpf

Note these do not include the SWFE Tuesday, where ~2" falls at most of these places.

Archived