joxey
Anafrontal Thumpul Discussion 3/5

TheSnowman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough call... 

1) ANA's are very typically over-QPF'ed

2) The NAM (as the title of the thread relies...) has a NW bias big-time with major tropospheric components beyond 48 hours...definitely out there beyond 60

3) On the other hand ...several other guidance types flagged this potential going back several days...if perhaps it was merely lost until a better sampling time takes place; currently, lag dynamics responsible for initiating lift over the baroclinic wall are rounding the vestigial -EPO ridge structure up over Alaska...which means it is coming by way of airs over the Arctic Ocean proper.  Not a lot of confidence in that  - 

Depends on what you defined as meaningful...it gets 0.1" near CON...0.2" up to around the S NH/ S VT borders. 0.3" BOS-ORH-BAF

Hopefully it is a sign that this will trend more robust as we get closer. A more robust solution should benefit everyone I think...you'll rain longer on the front, but will get destroyed when it flips over...maybe flash freeze. Hopefully the more dynamic solutions can start to show up.

Maybe 3-6" for you?

Can't be more than that...

Thats not an advisory.. And the ENS were more than that was the point

The 18z NAM not looking too good compared with 12z.

Not sure I agree with that.  Southern stream is bending the flow nicely.  Could be a big precip maker in the Ohio Valley.  Not sure it translates northeastward as everything is being compressed.  I think it will.  Maybe not this run... but eventually.

Significant improvements on the NAM.  Very much in line with what I was looking for.

Gotta continue to be cautious, because this solution is within the envelope of previous cycle ensemble spread... so it could be an outlier.  But I think this is legit.  The NAM leads in this kind of setup.  

It's a typical 18z NAM run, well north of all other models, but hopefully other models trend towards it. Verbatim it would put us well over 110 for the year though.

108" is all I care about, but it would be nice to do it with gusto in an all-snow event.

That having been said, anafrontal action is, in my experience, about as able to be counted on as a Norlun. It would be just darling if some of the big boys could get on board for that; I'd love it, really. Bears watching but I think it's less than likely to be that good.

108" is all I care about, but it would be nice to do it with gusto in an all-snow event.

That having been said, anafrontal action is, in my experience, about as able to be counted on as a Norlun. It would be just darling if some of the big boys could get on board for that; I'd love it, really. Bears watching but I think it's less than likely to be that good.

Exactly what I have been saying....verbatim.

Hey, we'll see.....I get 10" of more, I'll pay Kev's bill at the next GTG.

Significant improvements on the NAM.  Very much in line with what I was looking for.

Gotta continue to be cautious, because this solution is within the envelope of previous cycle ensemble spread... so it could be an outlier.  But I think this is legit.  The NAM leads in this kind of setup.  

I'm still not too confident that we see more than an inch from this. Hope your inkling is right.

Archived