joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 23rd & 24th Winter Weather Discussion/OBS

Hvward

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vortex over S Canada continues to trend further north per the 0z GFS.  This will allow the s/w from breathing room.  The s/w is also trending slower.

Well that sounds yet again.. even warmer down here into the Midlands. :|

Edit: once again I just posted in the wrong thread.  Sorry.

I like the idea of some moisture showing up on GFS even for one frame now in this period.

Someone talk to me here. What am I missing? Local METS here in N Alabama are calling for only a dusting, but that is a lot of moisture moving in to our area tonight, no?

Please please keep these questions in the banter thread.  Someone here in the SE is going to get a substantial Winter storm..  What's going to happen over time is many new posters etc.. will come in asking what will happen in their yards.

This will clutter the thread and people will get banned/warnings/etc.  When the event is almost here, I think there will be an observation type of thread for these questions too.

Edit:  For your question.. mets do not like to be wrong.. especially in local media.  It's much easier to forecast nothing (or barely anything in your case) and slowly add to the totals over time vs. saying a big event happens and it doesn't.  People remember the whole "omg snow storm" cry wolf thing much more than the "marginal threat at best" thing.

0z GFS trends valid 3z 2/26.  Looking foreward to the ensembles.

Really looking like a N. SC / NC / NE. GA type storm if the GFS is right.  If it happens, I swear I give up on Winter weather down here again.. I will move with my girlfriend to Montana before I ever suffer another botched Winter threat around here again.

Really looking like a N. SC / NC / NE. GA type storm if the GFS is right.  If it happens, I swear I give up on Winter weather down here again.. I will move with my girlfriend to Montana before I ever suffer another botched Winter threat around here again.

dude, you gotta realize climo says you wont get as much snow as nc/north ga.  trust me...i get it...i used to live in charleston. 

but this thing is still very much in play.  cae will obv have temp issues more than not, but storms with this track have a history of giving cae and points north a good snow.

Don't forget that your 5 year running snowfall total is much higher than the upstates.... IMO, the midlands have nothing to complain about.

That being said, I don't blame you for wanting more... lol

Just out of curiosity, what is causing/ mechanism for the blob of precip over NGa? It's been on alot of the models, but seems seperated from main batch along the gulf coast?

The GFS even shows it...there is almost an inverted trof type signature showing up on some models extending up through GA...it may be terrain influenced due to the overrunning as well.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

435 AM EST MON FEB 23 2015

GAZ022>025-031>035-041>045-231745-

/O.NEW.KFFC.WW.Y.0007.150224T0700Z-150224T1600Z/

FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-JACKSON-PAULDING-COBB-NORTH FULTON-GWINNETT-

BARROW-HARALSON-CARROLL-DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GAINESVILLE...MARIETTA...ATLANTA...

LAWRENCEVILLE...CARROLLTON...DOUGLASVILLE...EAST POINT...DECATUR

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 11 AM EST

TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A

WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR LIGHT SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM

2 AM TO 11 AM EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM CARROLLTON TO

ATLANTA TO LAWRENCEVILLE TO HOMER.

* HAZARD TYPES...A RAIN/SNOW MIX CHANGING OVER TO ALL SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...A DUSTING TO LESS THAN AN INCH OF SNOW.

* TIMING...2 AM TO 11 AM.

* IMPACTS...LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW MAY RESULT IN SLICK

ROADWAYS AND TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED

FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION

WHILE DRIVING.

&&

$$

WWA will go into effect for Atlanta north overnight tonight into tomorrow.

EDIT: Dang, I've been ninja'd twice!  :lol:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

GAZ022>025-031>035-041>045-231745-
/O.NEW.KFFC.WW.Y.0007.150224T0700Z-150224T1600Z/
FORSYTH-HALL-BANKS-JACKSON-PAULDING-COBB-NORTH FULTON-GWINNETT-
BARROW-HARALSON-CARROLL-DOUGLAS-SOUTH FULTON-DEKALB-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GAINESVILLE...MARIETTA...ATLANTA...
LAWRENCEVILLE...CARROLLTON...DOUGLASVILLE...EAST POINT...DECATUR

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 11 AM EST
TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PEACHTREE CITY HAS ISSUED A
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR LIGHT SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM
2 AM TO 11 AM EST TUESDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ALONG AND NORTH OF A LINE FROM CARROLLTON TO
ATLANTA TO LAWRENCEVILLE TO HOMER.

* HAZARD TYPES...A RAIN/SNOW MIX CHANGING OVER TO ALL SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...A DUSTING TO LESS THAN AN INCH OF SNOW.

* TIMING...2 AM TO 11 AM.

* IMPACTS...LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS OF SNOW MAY RESULT IN SLICK
ROADWAYS AND TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW
WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED
FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION
WHILE DRIVING.

&&

$

I don't understand ffc's reasoning in leaving out counties around and including athens. soundings are supportive and precip amounts are about the same.  In fact, the nam is ever so closer to showing more substantial precip moving into southern portions of north ga associated with the main wave tue morning.

I know one thing..i sure hope this ends up like this system since last night. They were underdone all the way back to arkansas last night.  A few days ago models were completely dry here..and even up to the last minute the models were way underdone with the rain. Ended up with close to an inch since last night.

I don't understand ffc's reasoning in leaving out counties around and including athens. soundings are supportive and precip amounts are about the same.  In fact, the nam is ever so closer to showing more substantial precip moving into southern portions of north ga associated with the main wave tue morning.

I know one thing..i sure hope this ends up like this system since last night. They were underdone all the way back to arkansas last night.  A few days ago models were completely dry here..and even up to the last minute the models were way underdone with the rain. Ended up with close to an inch since last night.

FFC's AFD was saying how they were constantly adjusting up on precip amounts, even through the night.  It would be nice if this one does the same.

the nam is dropping a solid 2 to 4 over a fairly large portion of north ga,   in particular nw ga..while ne ga sort of gets the shaft with  less overall precip.. however  it inches ever so closer to more snow falling along and north of i20 tomorrow morning. If the nam is accurate with that the potential exists for another inch or two falling from atlanta to athens.

the nam is dropping a solid 2 to 4 over a fairly large portion of north ga, in particular nw ga..while ne ga sort of gets the shaft with less overall precip.. however it inches ever so closer to more snow falling along and north of i20 tomorrow morning. If the nam is accurate with that the potential exists for another inch or two falling from atlanta to athens.

This has the potential to sneak up on some people i feel. NAM looks sweet on this side of town. I think we're looking pretty good for an inch or two. What are surface temps looking like across N GA?

What a week this could be

the nam is dropping a solid 2 to 4 over a fairly large portion of north ga,   in particular nw ga..while ne ga sort of gets the shaft with  less overall precip.. however  it inches ever so closer to more snow falling along and north of i20 tomorrow morning. If the nam is accurate with that the potential exists for another inch or two falling from atlanta to athens.

well as long as ne ga can get some accumulating snow (an inch or two) i wouldnt consider it the shaft the way this year has gone.  we did have a pretty good storm last week lol

Archived