• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 23rd & 24th Winter Weather Discussion/OBS

Hvward

I'm actually surprised by this. Local mets are downplaying this event due to the marginal 850 temps and lack of moisture..At least I won't have school traffic as I slide over the Don Holt tomorrow morning.

gotta be bc of the bridges.  they remember the nightmare that was the cooper river bridge last year although that was with way more ice.  i had to take 526 to work in mt p from JI for 3 days after that storm because they closed the bridge.

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gotta be bc of the bridges.  they remember the nightmare that was the cooper river bridge last year although that was with way more ice.  i had to take 526 to work in mt p from JI for 3 days after that storm because they closed the bridge.

Oh I was here for those ice storms last year. I guess they are just being cautious. Temps now are siting in the mid 50's. That CAA will have to start ramping up if we're going to get cold enough for freezing rain.

yeah, i know. thanks for yalls help :whistle: lol (j/k) i looked at some temps to the ne and was completely disgusted.  my enthusiasm has been greatly tempered at this point

Right now low level cold advection is being blocked by the mountains. the "lookout eddie" is in full effect right now. However even the rap, which has a warm bias,  starts bringing in much colder air this evening...especially just off the surface. I'm not so much concerned with surface temps as I am temps right above it because if temps at 950 to 975mb get cold enough, dynamical cooling should do the rest for temps at the surface as freezing/wetbulb zero heights drop to just a few hundred feet off the ground. Nam has it cold enough for snow by 10pm in gainesville and by 12 or 1am elsewhere.

N GA

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

301 PM EST MON FEB 23 2015

GAZ006>009-013>016-240415-

/O.UPG.KFFC.WW.Y.0007.150224T0500Z-150224T1800Z/

/O.NEW.KFFC.WS.W.0003.150224T0200Z-150224T2000Z/

FANNIN-GILMER-UNION-TOWNS-PICKENS-DAWSON-LUMPKIN-WHITE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...DAHLONEGA...CLEVELAND

301 PM EST MON FEB 23 2015

According to a poster at the other board, the SREF mean is 1 inch, too. I haven't even paid attention to this because of the Wednesday storm.

Well we are getting NAM'd right now for tomorrow.  I am sure it's overdone, atleast for us.  Verbatim on the 18z NAM it would be 2-3".

Yeah, I'm at 58, sucks!

Yes. I am worried about that as cloud cover is now moving in to act as a blanket. I hope that cold comes spilling over the mountain soon or we will have a luke warm rain. 

The good news is the winds have shifted from SE to now coming out of the NW. Not very strong but if we can get it to 10 MPH, it can cool down in a hurry. 

Seems that this could overperform for some. The air is still saturated, and I don't think DPs should drop much overnight. Although the precip feed appears too due east (even SE) to do much over the mountains, and the snow hole could be in full effect!

I agree. This has high bust potential all over the place. For starters, the amount of precip. Look back to the west..the nam shows only 0.10 falling across MS the next 24 hours and they are covered up. I've seen these types of features over perform in the past. one of my favorite snows of all time came from a similar feature back in the 90s. With only flurries in the forecast, i ended up getting snowed on for 18 hours with  over 4 inches altogether. It was awesome since it was totally unpredicted and it was just a beautiful snow with huge flakes.

Not to mention that virtually everywhere you look the last few days the models have had to play catch up on amounts and have under forecasted them.

On the other hand, if the cold is not as advertised we obviously have problems. The 18z nam is holding firm on the cold though.

Interesting:

... Winter Weather Advisory in effect from midnight tonight to
noon EST Tuesday...

The National Weather Service in Greenville-Spartanburg has issued
a Winter Weather Advisory for portions of northeast Georgia and
the western upstate for snow which is in effect from midnight
tonight to noon EST Tuesday.

* Hazards... accumulating snow on highways that will cause
hazardous travel conditions

* timing... areas of snow are expected to develop before midnight and
then become more widespread after midnight.

* Accumulations... generally around 1 inch

* impacts... hazardous travel conditions due to snow on highways

* temperatures... lows from thge upper 20s to around 30.

* Winds... winds light northeasterly

* visibility... one mile or less in the heavier snow areas.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means that periods of snow
will cause primarily travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow
covered roads and limited visibilities... and use caution while
driving.

Please report snow and ice accumulations by calling the National
Weather Service toll free at... 1... 800... 2 6 7... 8 1 0 1. Leave a
message with your observation and the specific location where it
occurred. You can also Post your report to National Weather
Service Greenville Spartanburg facebook or tweet your report using
hashtag nwsgsp.

Stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio or your favorite source of
weather information for the latest updates. Additional details
can be found at www.Weather.Gov/gsp.

Yes. I am worried about that as cloud cover is now moving in to act as a blanket. I hope that cold comes spilling over the mountain soon or we will have a luke warm rain. 

The good news is the winds have shifted from SE to now coming out of the NW. Not very strong but if we can get it to 10 MPH, it can cool down in a hurry. 

56.  58 an hour ago when a calm wind seemed to pick-up (about 5-10) and turn Northerly.

I will say the biggest snow I have ever been a part of....we had a luau on Friday. The temp was 68 and people were in their bathing suits to amplify the fun. The next day, it snowed 15 inches in about 12 hours. Now, it wasn't upstate SC...but weather is weather!

I remember sometime back in the late 80s when Columbia tied a all time February high of 86 and 2 days later a snowstorm.

Greenville County and westward now under a WWA.

Well nothing for Spartanburg lol. I wonder how Greer fairs, with half the city being in spartanburg county and the other in greenville county under an advisory. I feel it will still snow here in Sparkle City and the WWA will be moved eastward a couple counties last min as its happening as GSP always seems to do.

Archived