joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 23rd & 24th Winter Weather Discussion/OBS

Hvward

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM is fairly bullish for RDU tomorrow for a 1-2" deal.  Light stuff of/on tomorrow all day with temps in the mid 20's.

http://meteocentre.com/models/get_mgram.php?stn=Raleigh&mod=gemreg&run=12&var=prcp〈=en&map=us

RAH 10:15AM morning update calling for maybe some light snow/flurries...

TONIGHT: THE SECOND BATCH OF S/W ENERGY MOVES INTO THE AREA BETWEEN 06 TO 12Z TUESDAY. RESULTANT WEAK DPVA AND SHALLOW ISENTROPIC UPGLIDE WILL RE-NEW/DEEPEN SATURATION ALOFT TO SUPPORT SOME LIGHT SNOW AND FLURRIES INTO THE AREA AROUND DAYBREAK ACROSS THE WESTERN AND SOUTHERN PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA. MODELS ARE ONLY GENERATING A HUNDREDTH OR TWO ACROSS THE AREA SO NO ACCUMULATION ARE EXPECTED.  CAA WILL GOVERN LOWS TONIGHT...RANGING FROM UPPER TEENS ACROSS THE NE TO MID 20S SOUTH. 

Trends are good for North GA.  Remember the GFS didn't have squat before.

Exactly! In terms of both qpf and snow accum., this is the heaviest of any GFS run yet for all areas. Yeah, a few runs ago the GFS had nothing. On this run, Conyers gets ~0.30" of qpf! ATL-AHN average near 0.25". The NE mountains get 0.50"!

Exactly! In terms of both qpf and snow accum., this is the heaviest of any GFS run yet for all areas. Yeah, a few runs ago the GFS had nothing. On this run, Conyers gets ~0.30" of qpf! ATL-AHN average near 0.25". The NE mountains get 0.50"!

hmm  sorry - are those amounts for overnight tonight/tomorrow morning (the appetizer) OR for the late Wednesday (main event)?  thank you in advance 

Tonight/tomorrow only.

ok I thought so - just wanted to make sure - wowow that is AWESOME...wonder when the last time ATL got snow on top of snow?  I cant recall....I think someone mentioned 1982.  We all deserve it after the roller coaster the models have thrown at us this year...I am getting no work done today...just constantly pressing refresh....

ok I thought so - just wanted to make sure - wowow that is AWESOME...wonder when the last time ATL got snow on top of snow?  I cant recall....I think someone mentioned 1982.  We all deserve it after the roller coaster the models have thrown at us this year...I am getting no work done today...just constantly pressing refresh....

well if it did snow I imagine it would melt tomorrow afternoon with temps in the 40s.

That is correct. the only reason this thread is not hopping is bc you have the big dog that will have a larger board impact with more snow. I will take my 1-2 inches and be happy. It has been a tough winter. 

Brad Panovich is an excellent Met out of Charlotte.  He just posted a tweet showing a Brief Shot of snow tomorrow morning being just the appetizer for Wed night. He pic shows a healthy shot of snow for I-20 from Birmingham, AL to Florence SC along I-20 and everything North of that to Chattanooga - Knoxville - Bristol.

Snow for tomorrow morning looks heavier in North GA and that always favorite NC/TN border. But I could see a good inch appetizer for the upstate!

Brad Panovich is an excellent Met out of Charlotte.  He just posted a tweet showing a Brief Shot of snow tomorrow morning being just the appetizer for Wed night. He phot shows a healthy shot of snow for I-20 from Birmingham, AL to Florence SC along I-20 and everything North of that to Chattanooga - Knoxville - Bristol.

Snow for tomorrow morning looks heavier in North GA and that always favorite NC/TN border. But I could see a good inch appetizer for the upstate!

Makes sense. This kind of feels like Feb last year where we had a 2 phase system. The first was the appetizer where is prepped the ground and the second was a big dog. 

Of course this storm will be huge as I am flying to Miami at 11:45 on Thursday. If I get out of here, It will be a record setter. 

Brad Panovich is an excellent Met out of Charlotte.  He just posted a tweet showing a Brief Shot of snow tomorrow morning being just the appetizer for Wed night. He phot shows a healthy shot of snow for I-20 from Birmingham, AL to Florence SC along I-20 and everything North of that to Chattanooga - Knoxville - Bristol.

Not quite all of the I-20 corridor... looks like we'll be just about 30 or 40 miles too far south to cash in on this one  :violin:  I don't think this close call will make it for some of us in KCAE.

Oh well! Spring should bounce back starting next week. Models are coming into convergence and are looking just perfect for many! Good luck to all.

Looking good for tonight! I think some areas of North Metro will really cash in with some token 2 or even 3 inch surprise totals. Nice and cold out too... with dropping temps it seems. Down to 36.5 here.

Yeah. This one seems more west ga to me. I'm at 47 right now. No way I get a lot tonight.

Archived