joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20th-21st Winter Storm OBS/Discussion

LithiaWx

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00z CMC don't look bad for Mtn's and Foothills of NC hour 64. I guess I'm about the only one holding on to a little hope for a front end thump? It's dead in here tonight.... I know it's not much but may be a little!

I_nw_g1_EST_2015021900_064.png

Everybody saw the 0z GFS fantasy 2ft storm, and forgot about this crackerjack non event! I still think us Western Carolinas folks see something frozen , before changeover

Good catch, Frosty.  Looks like the GGEM cools the mid-levels off just well enough with heavier rates.  I have noticed that the NAM has done the same thing at times.

Yeah I noticed this also.  Here are two panels from the NAM that Amwx provides.  You can see that precip gets going just enough to cool the mid levels and change over to snow.  The warm nose looks decent on the NAM soundings though in Asheville, so not sure if we will changeover or not.

7am Saturday

9znmg6.jpg

10am Saturday

2a2qae.jpg

Yeah I noticed this also.  Here are two panels from the NAM that Amwx provides.  You can see that precip gets going just enough to cool the mid levels and change over to snow.  The warm nose looks decent on the NAM soundings though in Asheville, so not sure if we will changeover or not.

7am Saturday

10am Saturday

I do think if moisture can make it into the area Saturday morning it will be all snow for almost everyone in WNC....I still question how much moisture can actually make it east of the mountains though. NAM certainly was a good trend this morning. 

On further inspection, both the nam and the gfs brings in the significant precip 6-12 hours earlier on the 6z runs when compared to the 0z.  Take a look at this link and scroll down to "Hourly Precip Accumulation Forecast" and you can clearly see the difference.  You can also put in different locations at the right to check out your area.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=kgso

Both 6z nam and GFS look good for western nc mountains and especially western va. Both have heavier precip coming over area with 850's precariously close to snow if not sleet for sure and then possibly a period of prolonged icing. Blacksburg mentions a "significant wintry mix event possible" even if it rains this would make me thrilled

Both 6z nam and GFS look good for western nc mountains and especially western va. Both have heavier precip coming over area with 850's precariously close to snow if not sleet for sure and then possibly a period of prolonged icing. Blacksburg mentions a "significant wintry mix event possible" even if it rains this would make me thrilled

I think anyone north and west of AVL and your area particularly have the best chance. If I'm east of those spots I wouldn't get too excited. This to me has disappointment all over it. Hopefully it trends wetter. I think for you especially icing shouldn't be a big deal...should be a nice dump of snow. 

RNK from earlier this morning.....

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT/...
AS OF 353 AM EST THURSDAY...

COLD AND DRY HIGH PRESSURE GLIDES OVER THE REGION FRIDAY. WITH
SNOWPACK REMAINING ON THE GROUND...ALBEDO WILL LIMIT SOLAR RADIATION
AND ANY SUBSTANTIAL WARMING WITH HIGHS FRIDAY AFTERNOON RANGING
FROM THE MID TEENS ACROSS THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS TO LOWER TO MID 20S
TOWARDS SOUTHSIDE. SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE AND SNOWPACK CONTINUES TO
INFLUENCE TEMPERATURES FRIDAY NIGHT WITH MOST AREAS DROPPING BACK
DOWN INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS. A WARM FRONT ALOFT WILL BRING MOISTURE
OVER EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN VIRGINIA AND NORTHWESTERN NORTH CAROLINA
MOUNTAINS FRIDAY NIGHT. THIS MILDER AIR WILL KEEP RIDGETOPS 10F TO
15F WARMER THAN THE MOUNTAINS VALLEYS. ISENTROPIC LIFT WILL INCREASE
OVER THE MOUNTAINS DURING THE EVENING...BRING A CHANCE FOR LIGHT
SNOW FROM A LINE SOUTHWEST OF BLUEFIELD WV TO WEST JEFFERSON NC.
SHORT WAVES MOVING WEST IN ZONAL FLOW WILL ALLOW LIGHT SNOW TO
SPREAD EASTWARD THROUGH THE DAY SATURDAY.

THE PARENT SURFACE LOW WILL MOVE ACROSS THE RED RIVER VALLEY TO THE
OZARKS FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING...THEN TRACKS NORTHEAST
THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT. AS THIS LOW
APPROACHES THE FORECAST AREA...WARMER AIR WILL TRANSITION SNOW TO A
WINTRY MIX SATURDAY AFTERNOON/EVENING AND EVENTUALLY OVER TO ALL
RAIN BY SUNDAY MORNING. MODELS LOOK FAST WITH REMOVING SURFACE HIGH
PRESSURE TURNED INSITU WEDGE OUT OF THE FORECAST AREA SATURDAY
AFTERNOON. THIS FORECAST PACKAGE WILL KEEP THE WEDGE INFLUENCE IN
THE AREA WITH A WINTRY MIX INTO SATURDAY EVENING AND MAINLY NORTH OF
HWY 460 THROUGH MIDNIGHT AND NORTH OF I64 UNTIL SUNDAY MORNING.
FORECAST LOCATIONS WITH A WINTRY MIX INTO SATURDAY AFTERNOON SHOULD
SEE TEMPERATURES WARMING TO AROUND 30F INTO THE AFTERNOON...THEN
ABOVE FREEZING OVERNIGHT. BLUEFIELD AND DANVILLE MAYBE IN THE 40S
COME SUNRISE SUNDAY MORNING.

ONE OTHER CONCERN SATURDAY WILL BE STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS FOR AREAS
OUTSIDE OF THE WEDGE...PARTICULARLY THE BLUEFIELD-RICHLANDS AREA.
MODELS ARE BRINGING A 70KT LOW LEVEL JET ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY
SATURDAY. IF CLOUDS ARE ALLOWED TO BREAK...STRONG WINDS COULD MIX
DOWN CAUSING POWER OUTAGES IN EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN
VIRGINIA...ESPECIALLY IF ANY SNOW OR ICE ARE LEFT ON TREES AND
POWERLINES.

I guess it is something to watch. Wouldn't be much, but I had all but written this one off as just cold rain here.

NAM is colder....says to get your skies ready for WNC. 

Coincidentally I have plans to bring family/friends up to the high country this weekend for some skiing.  We're supposed to be staying in Zionville, just inside the TN border.  I'm concerned about ice and following these boards closely.  Thanks for what you do!

I think the NAM is giving me something like 11 inches. lol  I certainly do not believe that, but I think 1 to 2 inches is very possible!!!

Allan Huffman @RaleighWx 12m12 minutes ago

Bigger issues potentially further west. I "may" get a map out later today if I have time. Another threat possible Monday night/Tuesday.

1. Allan Huffman @RaleighWx 12m12 minutes ago
  2. For Triangle, some minor, light freezing rain/sleet is possible saturday, but we should be above freezing by late Sat afternoon/evening.
  •  
    1. Tricky scenario with moisture moving into cold dome. Warm-up certain by late Sat night all over to rain for SUnday. How much precip sat? 
  •  
    1. Friday night/sat event will be primarily focused on TN, KY, N Ga, NW SC, VA, western NC.

Archived