• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20th-21st Winter Storm OBS/Discussion

LithiaWx

I think the bigger question will be whether enough moisture gets into the Triad at the right time.  If it comes in by daybreak Saturday with temps in the low 20's and lasts through the day, then this could be a significant/major storm.   If the precip holds off until later day Saturday, I think we'll have nuisance wintry precip.  So, the CAD will be tough to break if precip starts early, but not so much if it comes in later.

TW

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the way its looking on the 00z gfs, it looks to me like the 850s are a tad warm here in the upstate anyway. If we get the moisture in here, this could turn out to be a repeat of last night? Someone correct me if im wrong

Upstate gets something winter like of .02-.2", then the column is too warm for anything but rain. precip shield is in KY and VA also.  

Upstate gets something winter like of .02-.2", then the column is too warm for anything but rain. precip shield is in KY and VA also.

But with the air so dry, you got to think to that evaporational cooling would bring those temps down pretty good just like last night? The question is how long can the stay there till the WAA takes over?

But with the air so dry, you got to think to that evaporational cooling would bring those temps down? The question is how long can the stay there till the WAA takes over?

The column should be pretty saturated with cold air damming in place. Some cooling might take place, but the warm air advection will act in greater magnitude and continue to warm the column. 

A tight gradient between the have's and the have not's on the latest CMC run...

Far northern Ga gets over an inch of liquid while atlanta stays bone dry. Franklin, NC jackpots with about a foot of snow.

Yeah, that's not looking good for NC foothills and Piedmont either... 00z GFS was ugly also... 

Looks about the same as 12z to me. A bit of snow to start, then the precip moves north. Looks better for your area.

Yeah I don't feel as good about it as I did last night! Hard to believe be down to 10 Friday night and might rain Saturday? OR might have a hard time getting precip in here till later Saturday or Saturday night. That just about would Def mean all rain. What's your thoughts as of now?

Well I'm probably too optimistic but....I think the CMC and NAM are closer to reality. The 6z NAM would be best case scenario...but it wouldn't surprise me at all if NC ended up with this. 

So we have the NAM, GFS, & CMC all with snow soundings around central and western NC for 9-12 hours.  The Euro, NAVGEM, & Ukie(maybe a few inches in the NW corner of NC on Ukie) seem all too warm for much accumulation.  It is encouraging that the NAM is showing a much weaker warm nose then what it was showing with the last storm.  It had temps around 800mb @5c during the heaviest precip and the end result was a temp around 3c per soundings.  For the storm this weekend, I have only seen a warm nose of 1c showing up on the NAM for WNC.  On the GFS it looks like the warm nose reaches .4c, so neither of those would be enough to melt flakes completely.  Euro is showing 850mb temps around -1c on Saturday morning but warms quickly as precip moves in but could have a few flakes to begin.  A very interesting setup nonetheless and I hope the warm nose continues to trend weaker.

Euro is showing 850mb temps around -1c on Saturday morning but warms quickly as precip moves in but could have a few flakes to begin.  A very interesting setup nonetheless and I hope the warm nose continues to trend weaker.

I look at this setup and seems very close to what we just had Monday night.  The big difference is there is much colder air in place this go round. We saw how hard it was for the system on Monday for the warm nose to punch through. When every model was calling for ZR we ended up with a sleet monster. I think this one mainly stays as snow for what liquid is there. The million dollar question is how much moisture can we get. NAM is juiciest right now and it always over amplifies QPF at that range. 

I look at this setup and seems very close to what we just had Monday night.  The big difference is there is much colder air in place this go round. We saw how hard it was for the system on Monday for the warm nose to punch through. When every model was calling for ZR we ended up with a sleet monster. I think this one mainly stays as snow for what liquid is there. The million dollar question is how much moisture can we get. NAM is juiciest right now and it always over amplifies QPF at that range. 

If I remember correctly, this is the time that the models will start ticking south if it's going to happen.  Also the colder air hanging around might show a little more staying power.  The GFS seems to be doing this from the 0z to 6z runs.  Does anyone have an analysis of the GEFS or EPS?

JB said this morning, no way you going to get all this cold air out of the way fast enough, snow/Ice moving in Friday night/Saturday it will eventually change over two rain sometime Saturday...  The main thing is if we can get the moisture in here fast enough Friday night and Saturday morning? Million dollar question!

06z NAM @ hour 84 looks good! But it is NAM @ 84

nam_namer_084_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Archived