Newest Member
    joxey
February 20th-21st Winter Storm OBS/Discussion

LithiaWx

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hug the RGEM!

That looks like a possibility! The thing about this storm is, we won't get above freezing by much on Friday after 60 hrs below freezing, so anything that starts , won't be rain

Exactly its going to be sleet or Snow to start, just like this last storm, But hopefully this one will be more snow before the Changeover

Well, FFC did pull the trigger and issued a Winter Storm Watch from 18Z Friday to 18Z Saturday.  Wow.  Crazy early!  But a very entertaining discussion if you have time to read it.

Very entertaining, whoever wrote it had a funny way of putting it all down.

Summed up:  "OKAY SO YEAH THE 12Z DIDN'T COME IN SO WE ARE GONNA MAKE A WAG HERE.  IT'S COLD ON FRIDAY.  THERE MIGHT BE SOME WATER.  THINGS MIGHT HAPPEN WHEN THE WATER MEETS THE COLD.  YOU HAVE TO DRIVE HOME FRIDAY AFTERNOON IN WHATEVER RESULTS WHEN THE WATER MEETS THE COLD, SO YEAH THERE YOU GO.  PEACE OUT."

Very entertaining, whoever wrote it had a funny way of putting it all down.

Summed up:  "OKAY SO YEAH THE 12Z DIDN'T COME IN SO WE ARE GONNA MAKE A WAG HERE.  IT'S COLD ON FRIDAY.  THERE MIGHT BE SOME WATER.  THINGS MIGHT HAPPEN WHEN THE WATER MEETS THE COLD.  YOU HAVE TO DRIVE HOME FRIDAY AFTERNOON IN WHATEVER RESULTS WHEN THE WATER MEETS THE COLD, SO YEAH THERE YOU GO.  PEACE OUT."

Was this bring your son to work day?

A little bit from JB this afternoon about this weekend.

People are writing asking him whether what is being portrayed on models can happen, the warm 12-18 hour surge up the east coast within 48 hours after the coldest air mass since 1994 in some places east of the mountains ( if it hits 0 in NYC) has invaded.

Yes it can. I've seen some rapid warm ups to from super cold air.....

In fact I saw it happen in Dec 1983.. after that outbreak went through with it well below 0 all day in Providence it rained a few days later

I saw it in Dec 1968... first time I had ever felt wind chills to -40... A storm started with snow in the teens and temps surged to 50 in coastal RI

Of course there are other scenarios. The 94 outbreaks "warmup) had the greatest cold front ever with many places in eastern pa getting a foot of snow as the true warm front stayed south and it was so cold it just overran.

He says it can  certainly could happen and yes it might. He said he would wait though to see where this precip breaks out. It hit 50 at Hatteras 5 hours after it was 25 a could of nights ago but the cold air in the precip did not move Lets see how the model behaves when it encounters the cold air.. It will send a low up to the west but may find a new low along the coast and thermally induced reverse circulation will enhance frozen precip

Remember the emperor of the north is expanding his kingdom west. It gives the forces that will overthrow him a chance to attack him, though vengeful creature that he is I suspect an attack on his home base this weekend, for however short, will be met with renewed fury next week, even as he conquers further west

Blacksburg thinking I may see some snow... I was surprised to see this when I got home!

FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW...MAINLY AFTER
MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR NO SNOW ACCUMULATION. NOT AS COLD. NEAR
STEADY TEMPERATURE AROUND 20. LIGHT AND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF
SNOW 30 PERCENT.
.SATURDAY...SNOW LIKELY IN THE MORNING...THEN SNOW AND FREEZING
RAIN LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. MODERATE SNOW ACCUMULATION
POSSIBLE.
NOT AS COOL WITH HIGHS IN THE MID 30S. CHANCE OF
PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 10 ABOVE.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...RAIN AND FREEZING RAIN LIKELY IN THE EVENING...
THEN RAIN LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT. NOT AS COOL. NEAR STEADY
TEMPERATURE IN THE MID 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 70 PERCENT.

Just when I was about to throw in the towel the r gem reels me back in! Maybe the short range models are picking up on something the globals are missing

Can you elaborate? I wish I was as optimistic as you. I personally think it will be nothing but a cold rain (been saying it for days) but that's just me.

Can you elaborate? I wish I was as optimistic as you. I personally think it will be nothing but a cold rain (been saying it for days) but that's just me.

You live in Greenville, SC. Betting on the odds of rain probably is a good call but getting upset about it is stupid. If you live for better odds move north, otherwise, enjoy the fact that we have a potential event to track in the SE. I for one think that with we may catch something for a brief period with the overrunning precip. Unfortunately we will watch the rain wash it away but by then I will be looking at Tuesday anyway. 

You live in Greenville, SC. Betting on the odds of rain probably is a good call but getting upset about it is stupid. If you live for better odds move north, otherwise, enjoy the fact that we have a potential event to track in the SE. I for one think that with we may catch something for a brief period with the overrunning precip. Unfortunately we will watch the rain wash it away but by then I will be looking at Tuesday anyway.

He's our areas version of Widre! If we get any moisture in here before 10-12 o'clock or sooner, in the a m, it will be frozen, guaranteed

Archived