joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20th-21st Winter Storm OBS/Discussion

LithiaWx

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I-20 North in GA should experience some wintery precip, the question is how much and what kind at this point.

It'll be interesting to see what FFC does with the Winter Storm Watch for N. Ga.  You can tell from their discussion that one of the reasons it was posted relatively early was due to the timing, i.e. Friday afternoon possibly around rush hour.  You know they don't want any part of a replay of snowmaggedon 2014.  That being said, it just doesn't look like there's going to be enough moisture to really make for an interesting event, at least in Atlanta and points south.  The NAM does luck jucier, but this is just an unusual setup, it'll be interesting to see how things unfold.  This is a prime nowcasting event, heck, if things develop even 50 miles further south than models show, we could have a nice little storm on our hands. 

- Buck

It'll be interesting to see what FFC does with the Winter Storm Watch for N. Ga.  You can tell from their discussion that one of the reasons it was posted relatively early was due to the timing, i.e. Friday afternoon possibly around rush hour.  You know they don't want any part of a replay of snowmaggedon 2014.  That being said, it just doesn't look like there's going to be enough moisture to really make for an interesting event, at least in Atlanta and points south.  The NAM does luck jucier, but this is just an unusual setup, it'll be interesting to see how things unfold.  This is a prime nowcasting event, heck, if things develop even 50 miles further south than models show, we could have a nice little storm on our hands. 

- Buck

Agreed, if the overrunning is a touch stronger than the models are projecting then you can easily ramp up the wintery precip in GA north of 20 to warning criteria, jmo.

this is pretty much a non event for the Atlanta area. Just like every storm system this winter, it has trended worse within 48 hours of the storm. Atlanta is now in serious danger of getting no snow or ice this winter.

It really hasn't trended much worse for the Atlanta area.....most models even a few days ago showed a pretty sharp cutoff in N. Ga. just north of the Atlanta area.  Most of the models have held pretty consistent for Georgia regarding this event.  The only thing that may help Atlanta out is if things develop a good 50 to 75 miles further south than models indicate.

- Buck

Hi-Res NAM composite radar is super juicy for NC. 

wVo6mWd.png

That radar is almost the shape of where the (insitu) CAD would be. **very low dew points to start and plenty of snow coverage to the north. I'm keeping my expectations down to maybe a little front end snow/sleet but man this looks similar to the last event where the models could not handle the low level cold.

My point for GA is don't give up yet... The players are literally on the field lets see where they decide to setup tomorrow afternoon.  Obviously the safe bet would be to take what the models say verbatim but as we saw earlier this week you can't do that and be right every time.  I-20 North in GA is still a possible target of the storm this weekend.  A 50 mile shift south would have huge implications on who gets what and how much. 

If the precip can setup a bit farther south with the front end precip then watch out. Temps if not below freezing would crash hard and cause a huge mess Friday night.

This continues to look mainly like a mountains of N GA kind of storm. Also, this is a dry flow for ATL. The precip. has not trended back closer to there. More than likely, yesterday's snow shower activity will turn out to be more than what this system will do with regard to snow, which is likely to be nothing.

So, if ATL doesn't get anything and the mountains get a good bit, ATL would not be getting "screwed" in any way.

This continues to look mainly like a mountains of N GA kind of storm. Also, this is a dry flow for ATL. The precip. has not trended back closer to there. More than likely, yesterday's snow shower activity will turn out to be more than what this system will do with regard to snow, which is likely to be nothing.

So, if ATL doesn't get anything and the mountains get a good bit, ATL would not be getting "screwed" in any way.

Yeah Larry I'm right on the edge here in the Dawsonville area. Looks to be an extremely sharp cutoff area. Gonna be a nowcast type of system!

Is there any sort of chance that this could stay all frozen in the CAD zones?

I'm pretty sure the track isn't going to shift to the track we just had with the last system, but what if this arctic air is undermodeled?

Also, not sure about the last time I remember seeing frozen precip on the east side of a system that's ultimately riding up the Apps. What an odd setup.

So, if ATL doesn't get anything and the mountains get a good bit, ATL would not be getting "screwed" in any way.

How can this setup be a dry flow for Atlanta but not the case for NC and the N. GA mountains?  Everything else seems pretty reasonable, the models continue to hit the Northern counties but leave the metro counties pretty much out of it.  That said the metro counties are only 50 miles from a big event,  that's not out of the margin of error imo.  While it may not be likely this can trend farther south,  I also disagree with you about the precip, it has trended a little closer to the ATL metro imo. Looking at the RGEM you can see ATL is very close to getting in on the storm and the NWS WSW is only two counties north of them.

How can this setup be a dry flow for Atlanta but not the case for NC and the N. GA mountains?  Everything else seems pretty reasonable, the models continue to hit the Northern counties but leave the metro counties pretty much out of it.  That said the metro counties are only 50 miles from a big event,  that's not out of the margin of error imo.  While it may not be likely this can trend farther south,  I also disagree with you about the precip, it has trended a little closer to the ATL metro imo. Looking at the RGEM you can see ATL is very close to getting in on the storm and the NWS WSW is only two counties north of them.

I meant it hasn't trended closer on the GFS though the 12Z or through the 0Z Euro. I wasn't looking at the RGEM. I meant in general it hasn't trended closer to ATL. Regarding the drier flow vs. the mountains , I meant that the mountains will typically do better than down in ATL in this kind of situation due to them having a better opportunity to wring out whatever moisture is there.

I'm trying to prevent hopes from being raised too much in ATL to better reflect what I feel is reality. Otherwise, there's liable to be lots of whining. I'm looking this as a total surprise if it ends up being something  in ATL.

Archived