joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 20th-21st Winter Storm OBS/Discussion

LithiaWx

• Replies 785
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll buy what the Canadians are selling. I'll take my inch or two and like it! Although it seems like the Canadians are always the ones selling the snow.

One thing that makes me believe that is the colder air. This one is a lot colder than this last one. So Id say it most defiantly starts as snow, The question is how long can it stay snow before the changeover starts? That wil be the tale of how much snow we get.

I meant it hasn't trended closer on the GFS though the 12Z or through the 0Z Euro. I wasn't looking at the RGEM. I meant in general it hasn't trended closer to ATL. Regarding the drier flow vs. the mountains , I meant that the mountains will typically do better than down in ATL in this kind of situation due to them having a better opportunity to wring out whatever moisture is there.

I'm trying to prevent hopes from being raised too much in ATL to better reflect what I feel is reality. Otherwise, there's liable to be lots of whining. I'm looking this as a total surprise if it ends up being something  in ATL.

Ok, we agree completely. I was just a bit more curious at some more expansion on the comments you made.  Thank you Larry.

The underlined is hilariously correct as well. 

The 12z Canadian looks a lot better. Maybe we can get a sneaky 1-3" from this.

Hell, the GFS doesn't look too bad either to an extent.

Of course, then there's a legitimate Big Dog NAM'ING on the 12z NAM.

The earlier we can get the moisture in here the better, obviously.  I've thought this storm was looking like cold rain since it came on the radar, but I'm starting to have some hope.  Like you said, there are a few models that show us getting a good clip of precip that should result in snow before the upper layers warm in this area.  We need some stuff to go right, but I think the Triad has a decent shot at some accumulating snow.  

For areas in and around ATL, I'm really confused as to what FFC is seeing with this system.  It appears to be almost entirely moisture starved, yet I'm looking at a 50% pop of sleet/snow tomorrow evening close to 0z before changing to rain around 06z on Saturday.  At this point though, I think this is trending high and dry for anyone outside of the NW.  Just doesn't make any sense.  What are they seeing that I can't?

For areas in and around ATL, I'm really confused as to what FFC is seeing with this system.  It appears to be almost entirely moisture starved, yet I'm looking at a 50% pop of sleet/snow tomorrow evening close to 0z before changing to rain around 06z on Saturday.  At this point though, I think this is trending high and dry for anyone outside of the NW.  Just doesn't make any sense.  What are they seeing that I can't?

The CAD favored areas are more likely to see something frozen I think. Those areas will hold on to the cold air longer and anything that falls may be frozen for a longer period of time. 

Plus, the CAD areas can generate their own precip simply by having the warm moist air override the cold. Mist, drizzle, etc all accompany CAD's at my house, and that type of precip is not resolved by the models very well. 

Again, I'm speculating at this point.  Looks pretty dry to me too. Plenty wet in TN though...

I still don't understand meterologically how a low in TX/LA is going to get enough precip in this area before it cuts.  If I had to bet, I'd say east of the mountains in NC stays dry until the front comes through.  I've never seen such a thing.  I could be wrong though, I just don't understand what's shown. 

Nope - most of the Carolinas can keep dreaming about this one.

attachicon.gifecmwf_tsnow_nc_11.png

attachicon.gifecmwf_tsnow_atl_11.png

So whatever the Euro says is a guarantee?   If I had all the snow the Euro has predicted for MBY this winter I would have 40 some inches so far!!! Now It very well could be right, Not saying it's not.... But when the others models come to the Euro's out come I will throw in the towel on this one!!!!

So whatever the Euro says is a guarantee?   If I had all the snow the Euro has predicted for MBY this winter I would have 40 some inches so far!!! Now It very well could be right, Not saying it's not.... But when the others models come to the Euro's out come I will throw in the towel on this one!!!!

Sounds like you just got Dr. No'ed.  I know you mentioned getting NAM'ed earlier....

If I had all of the snow the NAM and GFS showed this year I'd be still shoveling right now.

Here's a little tid bit from GSP's discussion.  Seem's to think the warming of temperatures Saturday maybe overdone on the models if a CAD develops.  We will have very low DP leading up to this storm.

TEMPS RISE SLOWLY SATURDAY...BUT OUT OF WINTRY PRECIP
TERRITORY BY THE END OF THE DAY. THE POSITION OF THE HIGH IS
INITIALLY SUPPORTIVE OF HYBRID CAD DEVELOPING...BUT THE UPPER FLOW
DOES NOT ALLOW IT TO REMAIN FIXED NEAR THE COAST. THIS TO SAY THE
TEMP FORECAST IS PRESENTLY A LITTLE OPTIMISTIC...SINCE IF CAD WERE TO
DEVELOP IT COULD FURTHER HINDER WARMING.

Archived