• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
The Valentine's Day Massacre Obs--A snow job or does it only blow?

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threw in the towel for CT just now, glad I cut totals this afternoon as the WAA overperforming will allow me to at least salvage the low end of the forecast.

After reviewing the latest short range guidance and looking at the radar, I'm starting to sniff a bust in regards to tomorrow morning. The short range hourly HRRR continues to suggest little to no snowfall for the western two thirds of the state or so, with an additional inch or two possible in eastern areas(Essentially, the 4-8" zone on our most recent map). To make matters worse as far as for the verification of the forecast, it's the furthest west of the guidance, with the majority of the lower resolution guidance showing a miss entirely. The inverted trough looks to hit areas well to our SW and basically miss us entirely(as we figured it would, but it would have added a wild card to the forecast), and as a result, between the CCB missing east and the IVT missing SW, it seems that much of the state will be in a hole between those two areas of precipitation and as a result see little to no additional snow. As a result, the revised forecast is:

Nothing to up to an inch of additional snow for areas west of I91

A coating to two inches of additional snow for areas east of I91, locally up to three inches in far eastern areas depending on banding.

The one wildcard is the development of potentially strong convective bands which could bring a narrow area of very heavy snowfall, but as of now, it appears that we will see those form to the NE of the state and as a result we should be clear from that. Winds will still be a factor tomorrow however as the wind comes from the passage of the arctic front and upper level low and not so much the storm it's self. Dangerous wind chills are therefore still expected for most of tomorrow, and blowing snow will still combine with cold temps to make a downright wintry scene out there.

Keep your reports coming, and thank you for reading SCW!

So what's new? How is this a forecast, when it's been known for hours before?

Ogunquit ME: 11.5", just consistent 2"/hour for past 3 hours. 2 feet or bust

I am camped out in Portsmouth NH and it is dumping here.  I came out from dinner in a restaurant that was in a cellar and didn't have a window view to see what was happening outside.... Boy was I shocked when I opened the door to leave.. Gushing with snow.

Heartening discussion from BOX regarding possible faster deepening. Interesting radar trends too. Echoes south of ACK are moving more northerly and that band that came through earlier appears to be moving back a little towards NE Mass. Definitely bears watching.

The Box disco

15/00Z SOUNDINGS ARE IMPRESSIVE. AS FAR WEST AS PITTSBURGH AND

CINCINNATI...NEAR DRY ADIABATIC LAPSE THROUGH A VERY DEEP LAYER.

ALSO SEEING SIGNS OF A TROPOPAUSE FOLD...WITH THE BASE OF THE

TROPOPAUSE AS LOW AS 700 MB OR SO. WE HAVE CONCERNS THE OFFSHORE

STORM WILL INTENSIFY EVEN MORE EXPLOSIVELY THAN PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT

LATE TONIGHT INTO SUNDAY.

LATEST RUNS OF THE HI-RESOLUTION GUIDANCE TRYING TO BEAR THIS OUT.

SOME...LIKE THE HRRR AND REGIONAL CANADIAN...SHOWING AN IMPRESSIVE

BANDING SIGNATURE. AT THIS POINT...HAVE LITTLE CONFIDENCE IN

EXACTLY WHERE THIS BAND WILL ESTABLISH ITSELF. WHERE IT DOES

PERSIST FOR A TIME...WILL LIKELY SEE LOCALLY HEAVIER SNOWFALL WITH

RATES OF 2-4 INCHES PER HOUR. THIS IS A COMPLICATING THE TOTAL

SNOWFALL FORECAST.

WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR BLOWING SNOW ONCE THE WINDS PICK

UP...GIVING SOME THOUGHT TO EXPANDING THE BLIZZARD WARNING FARTHER

WEST.  WILL NEED A LITTLE MORE TIME TO EVALUATE THAT.

DEF INTERESTING DISCUSSION-Seems they are in AWE of the energy with the Rodney Dangerfield of 500DM ULL's

Wow just took a measurement 8"-8.25" here in Newburyport. Over achieving big time thus far. I just picked up 4" in the last 2 hours. Despite how the radar looks, we are still getting moderate to almost heavy snow right now. OE going on pretty well. I can only hope tomorrow overperforms like this. We might even have a shot at 15-20" now!

Great stuff, cant wait to see the winds in the AM. I'm out!

Heartening discussion from BOX regarding possible faster deepening. Interesting radar trends too. Echoes south of ACK are moving more northerly and that band that came through earlier appears to be moving back a little towards NE Mass. Definitely bears watching.

Man, good catch. Nowcast this biatch....gonna be a 2-4"/hr band nearby.

Man, good catch. Nowcast this biatch....gonna be a 2-4"/hr band nearby.

Looks like that banned that just pulled through up here, is starting to get some ocean fetch and wrapping back around. If that hangs on for the reinforcements to come in, we are going to kill it up this way. The radar is very deceiving. I am right on the water so that helps with this as well.

Archived