• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Valentine's Day Massacre Obs--A snow job or does it only blow?

moneypitmike

Any of you fellows know much about tropopause folds. I know Cweat went by that once and the Cape experienced one 12/9/05, but don't know much about the phenomena. Is it just a sign of rapid intensification? High wind?

Cweat was not named tropopause fold. That is Phil, a met who used to post much more and has capecodweathernet. He's based near Hyannis. 12/9/05 went through eastern mass. It dumped about 9 inches in a few hours. I was in San Diego and had my phone speed dial BOS obs number from a meeting I was at. When I heard it apparently all the color left my face because I was stuck in sunny San Diego....just as I was in Dallas for the December huge storm in2003.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cweat was not named tropopause fold. That is Phil, a met who used to post much more and has capecodweathernet. He's based near Hyannis. 12/9/05 went through eastern mass. It dumped about 9 inches in a few hours. I was in San Diego and had my phone speed dial BOS obs number from a meeting I was at. When I heard it apparently all the color left my face because I was stuck in sunny San Diego....just as I was in Dallas for the December huge storm in2003.

Ah, my bad on confusing the two. Heard that storm was wild. Huge rates, big wind in the deform

BOS had passed 2010. Now with 45.5 for February making it the snowiest month on record....with 14 days left. 3.2 for this event so far and 82.7 for the season. 1993 will fall tomorrow and probably 78 and 2005 as well. If we can get >6.5 in the band BOS moves to #3 of all time. And the pattern shows no sign of breaking down.

BOS had passed 2010. Now with 45.5 for February making it the snowiest month on record....with 14 days left. 3.2 for this event so far and 82.7 for the season. 1993 will fall tomorrow and probably 78 as well. If we can get >6.5 in the band BOS moves to #3 of all time. And the pattern shows no sign of breaking down.

Seems about 1" too low, got an average of just over 4" on several measurements.

Agree. What else is new with the Winthrop guy. 0.9 at 7 was low and I gotta think there was more than 2.3 more in the rates mid evening.

It's going to really annoy me if we fail to break the record by less than the differential that BOS undermeasured by...

Some stray flakes starting to fly again, but the HRRR continues to insist that the real fun is from 6-10 ish.

Looks like that banned that just pulled through up here, is starting to get some ocean fetch and wrapping back around. If that hangs on for the reinforcements to come in, we are going to kill it up this way. The radar is very deceiving. I am right on the water so that helps with this as well.

I was just going to post the exact same comments as we are both in the same banding that's rotating onshore and training over us. Hoping this is a prelude to a much bigger event.

Honestly, though, I was looking forward to the short intermission so I could crash for two hours until 330 am. I've been up almost 36 hours and was driving for 30 of those. Need to be more coherent for a full day tomorrow. Just hope I don't miss anything too dramatic while I nap.

It's wind-blown snow that's currently falling here, at my hotel, directly on the water.

Goodnight, and good luck to us all! :)

I was just going to post the exact same comments as we are both in the same banding that's rotating onshore and training over us. Hoping this is a prelude to a much bigger event.

Honestly, though, I was looking forward to the short intermission so I could crash for two hours until 330 am. I've been up almost 36 hours and was driving for 30 of those. Need to be more coherent for a full day tomorrow. Just hope I don't miss anything too dramatic while I nap.

It's wind-blown snow that's currently falling here, at my hotel, directly on the water.

Goodnight, and good luck to us all! :)

where are you staying NCforecaster?

(great posts gang... some family obligations kept me away earlier, but an awesome WAA thump ORH east... will post some beautiful photos from Jerry's hood soon)

5z HRRR (and past 2 runs at least) bring that Northshore band down the eMA coastline reaching Boston metro around 5am... and then a healthy at least 5-6 hours of snow... should be a fun morning to watch unfold

(great posts gang... some family obligations kept me away earlier, but an awesome WAA thump ORH east... will post some beautiful photos from Jerry's hood soon)

5z HRRR (and past 2 runs at least) bring that Northshore band down the eMA coastline reaching Boston metro around 5am... and then a healthy at least 5-6 hours of snow... should be a fun morning to watch unfold

4-8" back end.

Gut feeling.

Still snowing pretty moderately in Plaistow, NH.  Never really stopped for long...

I must have over 8" already....cant wait for the wind!  

Hard to decide to sleep now and wake up later or just say F-it and pour some coffee.

I'm in that torn zone as well. I may hold out for these last couple of bands to come through. That one that just went through Farmington looks appetizing.

Still snowing pretty moderately in Plaistow, NH.  Never really stopped for long...

I must have over 8" already....cant wait for the wind!  

Hard to decide to sleep now and wake up later or just say F-it and pour some coffee.

HI RES nam did solid job nailing  how far that dry slot was coming up

Any of you fellows know much about tropopause folds. I know Cweat went by that once and the Cape experienced one 12/9/05, but don't know much about the phenomena. Is it just a sign of rapid intensification? High wind?

Not necessarily a sign of rapid intensification, but can help cause it. The anomaly of having the trop that low can induce very strong wind fields, that can feedback on themselves allowing rapid intensification.

We normally think of the jet stream being located at 250 or 300 mb, but in reality it really just lies near the tropopause. So when the trop is low (like near 700 mb) the jet is not very far from the surface. Convective elements during 12/9/05 were able to tap that level and bring down some monster gusts on the Cape.

Archived