• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Valentine's Day Massacre Obs--A snow job or does it only blow?

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woke up at 4:30 with an awful dream that this had turned to rain and that everything was totally melted. I was looking at grass..and there were tree cutters in short sleeves taking down my neighbors trees. It was so freaking real. I woke up so angry lol.

Borderline moderate snow coming down now. That radar shot Will posted looks freaking awesome

I know it's not this simple, but I think the IVT setting up further south in NJ instead of further north in NYC/LI may have helped us. The further south IVT shifted the subsidence zone further SW, which shifted our "lifting" zone further SW. I think it's also an indicator of further south ML centers. But admittedly I'm giving meteorological speculation rather than 100% concrete analysis. 

The ML centers are nuking out to our SE...definitely helping these bands for a brief time this morning. The 850 flow strengthens out of the northeast for a time before turning more N and eventually NW...the bands should try and regenerate a bit to the north for a couple hours though don't expect the intensity to stay as obscene as the current one.

The ML centers are nuking out to our SE...definitely helping these bands for a brief time this morning. The 850 flow strengthens out of the northeast for a time before turning more N and eventually NW...the bands should try and regenerate a bit to the north for a couple hours though don't expect the intensity to stay as obscene as the current one.

These are the kinds of surprises you get out of explosively developing storms. Not widespread bumps in QPF, but unique mesoscale features that pack a punch.

Basically this is the same easterly inflow jet that was focused on the NH/ME late last evening.

These are the kinds of surprises you get out of explosively developing storms. Not widespread bumps in QPF, but unique mesoscale features that pack a punch.

Basically this is the same easterly inflow jet that was focused on the NH/ME late last evening.

Yeah once you turn that ML flow from light northerly or NNE to a bit more easterly component and strengthen it combined with the height falls...throw in some sick lapse rates...and you get some fun stuff...looks like it could try and sustain for a few hours (the steady bands in general, not the death band, lol)

The death band is crushing just south fo BOS now....even western edge of the band it is puking snow

Feb15_527am_Radar.gif

Archived