joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Super Snow Sunday 2/15-Party Like it's 1717

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GC can get it too. I don't like the inv trough look. Hopefully it becomes more concentric. With such strong energy, I can see why it has the instead trough look.

It looks like a beautiful system.  I'm not sure what would allow it to come further west.  But, that's what was said of the blizzard early on.  Of course, it ended up not coming west enough.  :)

I'll be watching and lurking, but probably won't clutter up the thread unless I see it coming west or you and others start talking about it having an impact for GC and CNE/NNE..

It looks like a beautiful system.  I'm not sure what would allow it to come further west.  But, that's what was said of the blizzard early on.  Of course, it ended up not coming west enough.  :)

I'll be watching and lurking, but probably won't clutter up the thread unless I see it coming west or you and others start talking about it having an impact for GC and CNE/NNE..

You practically get warning snows on the GFS.

But there is no guarantee that continues. I have tempered expectations right now on this threat. We are nearing that day 4 threshold where we should start seeing some clarity on this. Just looks what happened to Thurs/Fri threat at roughly the same time period.

Didn't Thursday only have one really good 18z GFS run? It has trended completely meh, but it was never really hit hard either for the most part.

So the GEFS is nicely clustered almost on LI but then slides due east?  A hit for NYC and all of SNE - a fast heavy storm.  No good though much above NH border I would think.  Surprised to see the clustering so tucked in.

The mean scoots "east" to a line basically due south of NS and due east of CC at 102h but there are members all over the place with a couple over ME.  No need to fret over any particular solution right now. 

Being at least 96 hours out from start time, plenty of time for this to become a real big event, especially if it dug further west and got slightly more tilt towards the negative and closed off like southwest of Long Island. 

gfs_namer_111_500_vort_ht.gif

So the GEFS is nicely clustered almost on LI but then slides due east?  A hit for NYC and all of SNE - a fast heavy storm.  No good though much above NH border I would think.  Surprised to see the clustering so tucked in.

We will need a few changes to get some heavier snow, These ENE sliders that go under SNE are not good for snow up here

Yea I 100% agree with Baroclinic Zone here, today's set of model runs are around that range where we start to get an idea if this threat is real or not.

I just went back and checked your original posts from three days ago when it first started showing up. H5 looks pretty similar without quite as much digging.

The storm IS coming. Scoot offshore, glancing blow or direct hit is the question, I think.

Didn't Thursday only have one really good 18z GFS run? It has trended completely meh, but it was never really hit hard either for the most part.

Yes, that 18z run was an eye-opener but as we know the storm will end up well a relative "dud".  I think a lot of it has to do with data assimilation coming in from sparse areas  We see these storms gain traction as the s/w comes onshore in this time frame but than they can trend away as a follow-up s/w acts as a kicker.  I've been waiting till day 2-3 to takes these threats serious as of late.

Just my opinion on these threats fwiw.  

I just went back and checked your original posts from three days ago when it first started showing up. H5 looks pretty similar without quite as much digging.

The storm IS coming. Scoot offshore, glancing blow or direct hit is the question, I think.

I kind of misstated, the wave is 1000% real, the question will become, will we get real CCB snows, inverted trough/norlun types, or will it be too far E

Yes, that 18z run was an eye-opener but as we know the storm will end up well a relative "dud". I think a lot of it has to do with data assimilation coming in from sparse areas We see these storms gain traction as the s/w comes onshore in this time frame but than they can trend away as a follow-up s/w acts as a kicker. I've been waiting till day 2-3 to takes these threats serious as of late.

Just my opinion on these threats fwiw.

Definitely all true. Our Sunday shortwave is still over the arctic ocean as of 6z.

Archived