• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/12-13 Potential Coastal Storm Threat

Typhoon Tip

The potential is Huge with both systems...both are going to blossom into Monster Storms period.  It's whether they do it in time for the area, or are OTS to our east.  That's the only question here.  We may very well miss both of these? 

I think alot of us(including myself) saw the incredible historic aspect of both of these, in the adding to our snowcover and impact to the area yesterday, but now the look and idea is for more of a glancing blow or miss with these(at least with the latest guidance).  Ofcourse this could all change at noon, but that remains to be seen.

The odds are tough for these to be a direct hit...which would send the are into the Biblical Realm...needless to say, that doesn't happen often to say the least!!

It's certainly within the realm of possibilities that both are misses. Personally, I'm leaning for dat weekly rhythm of weak late week storm, strong early week storm. Just because.

I'm drifting back toward weighing the euro as about 65-70 percent of a "consensus" for these next two chances.

Thursday looks to be a grazer, but 12z could tic in either direction and sway that.

Still snowing as I type this. Going to have to have Martha put more coals on the fire. Good winter. Many berries.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the way the ridge is, I would be very surprised if both whiffed, That would take some bad luck

Well, the areas standing to gain the most have had extraordinary GOOD luck the last three weeks, so one would have to temper expectations with a little bit of that possibility. Both whiffing seems unlikely at this point as Thursday seems to at LEAST clip the cape up to BOS-PVD with something that may sniff plowable. If either is a full on hit, that remains to be seen. I lean Sunday. I'm biased. Woke up like this.

Thursday doesn't really have enough room to get downstream ridging optimal for a huge hit...I think the Euro probably sniffed this one out yesterday at 12z when all the others were showing double digit snowfall.

I haven't seen anything since then to convince me otherwise. The spacing was always a bit problematic for this one, but not impossible. This is probably a 1-3/2-4 type event with perhaps a bit higher in far SE areas.

Yea, not feeling it

When I saw how far off the grid this system was last night still.....and knowing the Euro will be superior in ingest in those situations....my optimism went way down.  It's a dead ratter, I buy the NAM this will mostly be a miss and I would be surprised to get more than a few inches down here, and not surprised if it's under an inch.

Next.   Isn't the system I thought it was.

im dead serious. This looks like a 3-6 event. Similar to what we had last Thursday. You stick to snow growth and let me stick with met and amounts

What meteorology would argue for 3-6 right now?

Last week we had that nice little fronto band to the northwest and seperate from the coastal system. We don't have that this time. You are just spouting weenie comments to get more snow.

It's possible we get 3-6" but I wouldn't forecast that right now given the available information. You need the system more amplified than is currently shown to get 3-6"...at least there. The Cape is a different story.

3-6'' region wide is probably stretching it.  3-6'' amounts probably more likely to be confined to perhaps RI and eastern MA...perhaps back to extreme eastern CT but that's just an if.  Further west probably more along the lines of 2-4'' potential unless we see much quicker development.  Just speaking in terms of potential though...not basing this as forecast amounts 

If the coastal doesn't come close enough, then what will give you 3-6?

#1 Theres plenty of forcing and lift even without a coastal.

#2 There's an inverted trough signature ( not relying on that obviously)

#3 looking at 18:1-20:1 ratios so even if it's .20 its 3-6 with 6 inch amounts most likely as you work east

Archived