joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/12-13 Potential Coastal Storm Threat

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forecasting based on ratios 60-72 hours out is not a very good way to operate...

Just reporting bufkit output off a MODEL forecast although you have to admit as a trained Meteorologist that with those soundings thats a high ratio profile. Speaking of that what was the w/e yesterday for Boston, ratios seemed very high

I offered 3 reasons I was basing my thoughts on. All scientific

Well lets review them:

#1..."plenty of forcing and lift even without a coastal"....huh? I see extremely marginal lift/forcing. In fact, the bombing coastal to the east starts robbing us of lift as time goes on.

#2..."There's an inverted trough signature"....is much better for SE MA.

#3 "18 to 1 or 20 to 1 ratios".....is a big assumption that can easily be wrong at this lead time. "Counting" on 20 to 1 ratios to get you to your forecast at 60 hours out is dangerous

Even with the 12z NAM..if development occurs like 6-8 hours quicker (which is relatively reasonable...probably much more reasonable than 6-8 hours later than what's modeled) that would be a decent difference for at least into eastern CT with getting more solid advisory type snows and perhaps even higher end advisory to low end warning for at leas the Cape.  Just have to see how the models handle the PAC ridge and subsequent trough and go from there. 

Even with the 12z NAM..if development occurs like 6-8 hours quicker (which is relatively reasonable...probably much more reasonable than 6-8 hours later than what's modeled) that would be a decent difference for at least into eastern CT with getting more solid advisory type snows and perhaps even higher end advisory to low end warning for at leas the Cape.  Just have to see how the models handle the PAC ridge and subsequent trough and go from there. 

6 hours sooner and most of SNE would see solid snowfall..like 4"+...but I'm skeptical it happens given the most recent trends.

Just reporting bufkit output off a MODEL forecast although you have to admit as a trained Meteorologist that with those soundings thats a high ratio profile. Speaking of that what was the w/e yesterday for Boston, ratios seemed very high

I agree the ratios could be high...but I just would count on them being high yet.

I don't really see this system having a tremendous amount of influence on the weekend potential.  I think that potential is more aligned with how the PAC ridge continues to develop in the short-term between the end of the week moving into the weekend and that will ultimately affect the heights down stream and determine where exactly the trough axis is located.  

I guess this system could screw with the heights over the western Atlantic, however, there is plenty of time between this departure and the weekend potential for the pattern across the western Atlantic to "re-configure" with the PAC ridge playing a dominant factor in the overall pattern

6 hours sooner and most of SNE would see solid snowfall..like 4"+...but I'm skeptical it happens given the most recent trends.

Can't disagree there...at this point in time you would like to start seeing some positive trends develop and unfold.  I feel like clipper systems in these types of pattern can be very tricky and sometimes models don't get a good handle until we're within 24-hours.  One clipper that comes to mind, although I think the pattern may have been different was Dec 31st...2008 maybe?  or 2009?  But I don't recall that one looked impressive, or that impressive until within the 24-hour mark and RI and portions of MA got hit pretty good.  

On the other side though, we have seen clippers look good this far out and as we got closer crap out.

When I saw how far off the grid this system was last night still.....and knowing the Euro will be superior in ingest in those situations....my optimism went way down.  It's a dead ratter, I buy the NAM this will mostly be a miss and I would be surprised to get more than a few inches down here, and not surprised if it's under an inch.

Next.   Isn't the system I thought it was.

This is the second time on a Thursday this has fooled you.

Archived