• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

Jan was pretty normal I guess overall. Hard to complain about it too much in isolation. I had at least some Snowcover for most of it.. Tho full cover about 2 weeks sounds right. If Dec wasn't a shutout everyone might feel a little better. Well the big expectations for winter probably didn't help.

I think that's mostly it. Was it this bad mood-wise on easternwx during the 04/05 winter? Boston blizzards while we get pity snow are nothing new. We didn't even get the pity snow in 2/13. 

Just the airport stats, though, show the difference between Baltimore and DC's N and W suburbs. The first clipper's narrow bullseye region did experience a legit snowstorm. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had 11 days of more than a T of snowcover in January, but only 2 of those days were 2" or more.  5.9" total.  It was a normal Jan following a dud of a December.  If we go through Feb/Mar without an interesting event, this will be a big failure of a winter, especially with other places getting historic snows (Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Boston).

I had 11 days of more than a T of snowcover in January, but only 2 of those days were 2" or more.  5.9" total.  It was a normal Jan following a dud of a December.  If we go through Feb/Mar without an interesting event, this will be a big failure of a winter, especially with other places getting historic snows (Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Boston).

Yes, if winter ended today, it would have been a terrible winter. I just don't see how people are writing off February and March as if we didn't have multiple accumulating snows already. But again, I think it all depends on what happened in your location during the first clipper. 

Yes, if winter ended today, it would have been a terrible winter. I just don't see how people are writing off February and March as if we didn't have multiple accumulating snows already. But again, I think it all depends on what happened in your location during the first clipper. 

3 inches. Woo. That clearly saved the winter.

I think that's mostly it. Was it this bad mood-wise on easternwx during the 04/05 winter? Boston blizzards while we get pity snow are nothing new. We didn't even get the pity snow in 2/13. 

Just the airport stats, though, show the difference between Baltimore and DC's N and W suburbs. The first clipper's narrow bullseye region did experience a legit snowstorm. 

I don't remember.. I used to get snow back then. This winter does seem somewhat similar snowwise so far. Of course the blizzard made it a lot more so. The clipper did help this not feel super terrible for sure. I mean.. it's not a great comparison to say it's better than those two winters since they were the depths of awful. But.. it has been worse recently at least. Plus it is only Feb 2 of course, as you know. 

Phil the groundhog supposedly saw his shadow.

Will he prove to be more accurate than NWS models so far for February?

My girls were watching a Wild Kratts episode the other day about the groundhog and what wakes him up from his hibernation. Come to find out he does not wake to keep us in suspense on whether or not winter will be 6 more weeks, or Spring right around the corner. He wakes to venture out to see if there are any sleeping females near his burrow. He is out trolling for ladies and if he finds one he makes note of it and crawls back into his own burrow to sleep some more. Makes sense since winter is not officially over until Spring Equinox every year, and sounds like typical male behavior. Find his woman and go back to bed.

Jan was pretty normal I guess overall. Hard to complain about it too much in isolation. I had at least some Snowcover for most of it.. Tho full cover about 2 weeks sounds right. If Dec wasn't a shutout everyone might feel a little better. Well the big expectations for winter probably didn't help.

What makes this winter worse than those of '10 - '12 is the plethora of opportunities that were squandered.  That hurts much worse than wall-to-wall torch like '11-'12.

The next person that mentions a 50/50 low needs to lose 50% of their .............you know.

Blocking, 50/50's, NAO, AO..........who gives a crap.  I'd settle for the clippers   I don't need the perfect storm and sure as hell don't want 2 feet.

Randy would still be fine  ;) .

3 inches. Woo. That clearly saved the winter.

No one's saying this is a good winter. It clearly hasn't been. You can choose to consider winter over and stop following all threats, or you can continue to follow threats. Because it's only 2/2, though, it would be really annoying for incessant whining to continue for the next SIX straight weeks because unfortunately that's how much longer our snow climatology lasts. 

Yes, if winter ended today, it would have been a terrible winter. I just don't see how people are writing off February and March as if we didn't have multiple accumulating snows already.

From the archives: Prior to 1972-1973, when the only DC measurable snow of 0.1 inch fell on February 23rd, the latest seasons for DC measurable snow were 1913-1914 and 1959-1960, when the first snow was recorded on February 13th in each season.  However, in each of those seasons, there was major snow from then on, with 28.6 inches recorded in February/March 1914 (9.3/19.3) and 24.3 inches recorded in February/March 1960 (7.2/17.1). 

I bet our digital snow to actual snow ratio is the lowest in the country.

Probably close.. we live in just about the worst place to be a big snow lover. We see it frequently enough to expect it but have some awful times in between. 

Archived