• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

No mention of the 06z GFS? It is further south once again. Parts of NC look to start out with 2-4" of snow (more in the foothills). Also, the LP now cuts into central NC instead of up into TN.

This is good for the western part of the state and a slushy mess for me. :thumbsdown:  Hope the models continue to trend SE.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the look of this.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.png

So the thurs system is back? This is what I like!! Forget the Tues system. Hopefully we can get lucky and get both? I forgot my laptop today so I get to be on my phone all day...not good for model watching haha

Big questions are how early precip gets in. Flatter/quicker wave means better chance for snow/ice. Meaning Monday pm/night/Tues am.

Slower,more amplified would mean during day Tuesday strong coastal front could quickly set up and erode wedge turning precip to rain quicker

Also still some potential for 2nd wave Wednesday/Wed night, but all this is still very uncertain, so stay tuned!

So the thurs system is back? This is what I like!! Forget the Tues system. Hopefully we can get lucky and get both? I forgot my laptop today so I get to be on my phone all day...not good for model watching haha

I believe last year in Feb was when he had two systems back to back that gave us the goods. In GSp we got 8 inches of snow. If we can have a repeat, 2015 winter FTW. 

This definitely has the feel of a system that precip shoots way out ahead of the system.... probably sooner than modeling indicates. And could wind up with a VIRGA storm overhead before precip begins. 

Remember though... if the model handles temps and dewpoints throughout the atmospheric column correctly, it *does* account for evaporation. So, any QPF should not be 'lost' due to evaportation, again assuming the model has temps and dewpoints correct.

Matt, it looks like almost every model is showing us with high RH numbers almost 18 hours out. Maybe it takes 18 hours to moisten up that airmass but I dunno, maybe the UKMET is onto something.

I know the focus is on the Ukie, GFS, Euro, an Canadian but FWIW the JMA is way north of all the models right now. Might as well throw that in the pile as well. It is usually pulled out every now and then when it shows the goods when others do not. It should at least be noted lol. Temps are horrible as you would guess

i think the most promising thing is that the models are already close to a snowy solution 120hrs out.  all winter we have been praying for major trends within 4 days and it seems the models have locked in once they get 96 hrs from an event.  hope today has more SE trends then we see the models lock in thru the weekend.

I know the focus is on the Ukie, GFS, Euro, an Canadian but FWIW the JMA is way north of all the models right now. Might as well throw that in the pile as well. It is usually pulled out every now and then when it shows the goods when others do not. It should at least be noted lol. Temps are horrible as you would guess

Models with unfavorable solutions need to be acknowledged. Hopefully in the next day or so they trend to the SE.

Way north could easily happen

JMA and the NAVGEM have consistently spit out way north solutions.

The good thing is we had them on our side with the last potential "event" and we saw how that worked out. Of course, with our luck, they will probably be right this time...

JMA and the NAVGEM have consistently spit out way north solutions.

The good thing is we had them on our side with the last potential "event" and we saw how that worked out. Of course, with our luck, they will probably be right this time...

Yeah very true, if I was forced to choose an two models to show something I don't want... those are the two I choose as their track record is not so great lol.

Just for fun I'm trying to compare the 12z NAM to the 6z GFS. It either looks more amped with the low or its sending it eastward faster (maybe both): 

The 5h maps are not that far apart, but there is quite a difference in the surface depiction.  The weekend system in the NE looks to move out slower on the new nam, FWIW.

We need a slower system with that sunday event, I believe. 

That's what I was thinking too.  The stronger and slower that system is, the better our cold air.  On the other hand, we have now started to root for our moisture to move in quicker, so maybe the NE system will slow our storm down too?  Do we want the block or not?

Archived