wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that was through hour 126...hour 132 though there is a LONG fetch of moisture all the way from the carolinas to new mexico even lol..temps in the 20s in the carolinas and 32 to about athens/gainesville. Snow in nc, ice ne ga/upstate. Hour 138 it's gone over to rain for ne ga/upstate and a mix in nc. One thing is for sure, the potential is there for a long duration or high impact event.

that was through hour 126...hour 132 though there is a LONG fetch of moisture all the way from the carolinas to new mexico even lol..temps in the 20s in the carolinas and 32 to about athens/gainesville. Snow in nc, ice ne ga/upstate. Hour 138 it's gone over to rain for ne ga/upstate and a mix in nc. One thing is for sure, if temps end up staying below freezing this is a long duration and heavy impact event.

Can we really believe the warm up will happen that quick? As Grit pointed out, GFS has high in the Atlantic, GGEM and UKMet , had highs in the NE and in much better placement to lock CAD! Where is high placement on Euro?

Me jetting off to Europe is going to be good luck for you guys it appears- Euro 1-3" of snow/sleet ATL north followed by some ZR overnight, then just rain so any issues will not be long lived, but hey, its something....

I always take euro surface temps in eroding wedge situations at face value.../sarcasm :P

For N/W NC, verbatim, we're looking at 2-3" of legit snow, then over to ZR and/or IP after hr 138.  Temps are still below freezing at hr 144 and rise to 33 at GSO by hr 150 (foothills at 32).  During that time, a good amount of precip falls.

Then by hr 156, the wedge erodes and temps skyrocket to 53 (30s/40s for the foothills). :lol:  Yeah, good luck with that.  The wedge will erode, but I doubt it rises that fast.

0z euro is quite a bit further south. has some front end light snow even for north ga/upstate with what looks like freezing/sleet thereafter. Not very heavy though.

The drunk doc fired some massive warning shots tonight...either its got more tequila in it, or its almost dual phase storm is gonna produce.  light wintry out ahead of the storm, but the back end energy is VERY interesting.....if that crap is correct, which it prolly isn't...lol

Can we really believe the warm up will happen that quick? As Grit pointed out, GFS has high in the Atlantic, GGEM and UKMet , had highs in the NE and in much better placement to lock CAD! Where is high placement on Euro?

I'd be shocked if it didn't hold on quite a bit longer for a several reasons...especially carolinas/extreme ne ga but it would changeover eventually. The bottom line is though the trend this run is very good.  This run even gets northern alabama/ms and northwest ga into the fun though..at least for a little while. Not very often you see ice/sleet/snow over such a large area.

btw in fact as the main low slides off to the east, looks like a changeover to snow on the back end for most in ms, alabama, tn, and even into north ga. (this is after temps getting into the 50s and 60s lol) not heavy but icing on the cake of a very long and dynamic system.

If the Euro is correct that CAD may hold on a bit, but the LP coming in is so strong it will overwhelm the surface cold by later Tuesday and certainly by Wed

agreed!!  however, I am almost just as interested in how the euro is handling the back end vorticity.  that is some mean energy coming back, and has a very nice change over for some to our west.  I still don't know what to believe in...the drunk doc still had some MASSIVE changes at H5 tonight.

btw, to give you some idea of how cold and dry the airmass ahead of this system is. A few hours before precip starts, the canadian has surface temps of around 32 in north ga with dewpoints of 0 to -5F!. Which means wetbulbs would be around 23 to 25.That is about as low as you will see for winter storms most of the time here. (average wetbulbs for winter storms here are probably 28 to 31 here in north ga from my experience) So there will be a huge amount of evaporational cooling with this and it's almost a given the models are not handling that amount of cooling correctly yet. Euro never does. fwiw, the canadian is seeing temps drop to around 28 here after saturation. So it's retreat time of freezing temps would already be in error right from the start.

btw, to give you some idea of how cold and dry the airmass ahead of this system is. A few hours before precip starts, the canadian has surface temps of around 32 in north ga with dewpoints of 0 to -5F!. Which means wetbulbs would be around 23 to 25.That is about as low as you will see for winter storms most of the time here. (average wetbulbs for winter storms here are probably 28 to 31 here in north ga from my experience) So there will be a huge amount of evaporational cooling with this and it's almost a given the models are not handling that amount of cooling correctly yet. fwiw, the canadian is seeing temps drop to around 28 here after saturation. So it's retreat time of freezing temps would already be in error right from the start.

So you're saying snow could last longer than modeled thanks to evapporational cooling? Interesting...

Archived