Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was gone on 12z GFS also, our rented mule is the Tuesday storm, ride or die

Not much excitement about Tues in these parts.

Tuesday

• A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Tuesday NightA chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

<p>

Not much excitement about Tues in these parts.

Tuesday

• A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 41. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  • Tuesday Night

A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 35. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
You've been around since they delivered weather forecasts by horse! You know those computer generated crap is crap! They are the same ones that say: Monday mostly sunny,with a chance of snow. High near 55. Come on man, you know this is the one, even if it's 10 minutes of snow before changeover , then you get a trace and still have a goose egg for the winter! :)

South of the 18z OP or south of the 12z GEFS?

The snow max is south of the 12z GEFS, looks like most members jackpot KY/WV/NoVa, where the 12z jackpotted almost to Chicago into N-Oh.  Actually the 18z GEFS has a little less snow into NC/SC.  This doesn't show ice, just snow, I believe.  Fairly big jump in a 6 hour run.  Lines up with the EPS mean too.

post-2311-0-70455400-1423699742_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-80666700-1423699754_thumb.pn

yeah its really only snow to start for the mtns. Including the north Ga mtns.

Looks like all-snow for N NC through the end of the run (snow N/W of GSO to HKY), though it would possibly changeover soon thereafter. 2M Temps are crazy cold. It's 28 in CAE and 20 at GSO at the end of the run!

GA and SC appear to pretty much be all-ZR/IP.

Looks like all-snow for N NC through the end of the run (snow N/W of GSO to HKY), though it would possibly changeover soon thereafter. 2M Temps are crazy cold. It's 28 in CAE and 20 at GSO at the end of the run!

I'm not on board until we are in long range NAM timeframe! When it's on board , I'm all in!

That's the most worrying part about this for my back yard.  The UKMET has been consistent and it has a major ice storm around here with 850mb temperatures well above freezing as the core of the moisture gets here with a lot more on the way seemingly.  The 00z GGEM did the same thing. 

Winter, is that you??  New wx video is up.  Tell me what y'all think.   :) good or bad 

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Thanks Chris! That was the first time I viewed one of your videos. It was a great wrap up of what all the models were showing. The only observation I can give is it's definitely a video created for people with our level of meteorological knowledge; meaning I got a lot out of it but my wife would not. As with all meteorologist you'll have to provide different kinds of output for your different types of audience.   

Winter, is that you??  New wx video is up.  Tell me what y'all think.   :) good or bad 

https://www.facebook.com/ChriswxmanSimmons

Great vid Chris. Thanks for your info on here! FWIW from a novice - I think you are spot on with the I-40 line of thought. I am in the western upstate and these setups don't usually go our way. WWA usually takes over from the get-go, especially with no real CAD feed. And backside changeover NEVER works here with the downsloping. As much as I want this to be some wintry weather, I don't like the track of the low the models are showing and it comes in between cold airmasses, not in conjunction with one. Based on what we see here (of course it could change) I think the high couuntry will see some fun, Northern NC will have a shot, and Tennessee and NW GA will have a chance with some backside changeover, but not for the lee of the mts, unless there is some cycloogenesis closer to the Rock Hill to GSO area and east (which does happen quite a bit). Unless we can get that low to track further south, this will not be a widespread event for most of us, and probably a no go for many :( Guess time will tell.

You've been around since they delivered weather forecasts by horse! You know those computer generated crap is crap! They are the same ones that say: Monday mostly sunny,with a chance of snow. High near 55. Come on man, you know this is the one, even if it's 10 minutes of snow before changeover , then you get a trace and still have a goose egg for the winter! :)

Yeah.  Thank God we don't use computers for the models.  

Great vid Chris. Thanks for your info on here! FWIW from a novice - I think you are spot on with the I-40 line of thought. I am in the western upstate and these setups don't usually go our way. WWA usually takes over from the get-go, especially with no real CAD feed. And backside changeover NEVER works here with the downsloping. As much as I want this to be some wintry weather, I don't like the track of the low the models are showing and it comes in between cold airmasses, not in conjunction with one. Based on what we see here (of course it could change) I think the high couuntry will see some fun, Northern NC will have a shot, and Tennessee and NW GA will have a chance with some backside changeover, but not for the lee of the mts, unless there is some cycloogenesis closer to the Rock Hill to GSO area and east (which does happen quite a bit). Unless we can get that low to track further south, this will not be a widespread event for most of us, and probably a no go for many :( Guess time will tell.

The models are trending south and they always underestimate the cold in the cad regions! If we get the precip in here right at daybreak , we may have a shot at some pretty dicy weather! Maybe we get the finger of precip that comes ahead of the storms alot of the times and lay down a crusty dusting!? In situ cad can work, it's all about timing.

So, I am slightly hopeful here but remembering the recent Chicago blizzard.  Early when it was on the models, remember the 996 is bomb crossing Northern WVA.  It trended south to a decent looking storm for many of us at maybe 6 or 7 days out only to trend all the way back to a very strong storm across southern PA. 

I like the trend today as long as it is not leading to crippling ice :axe:   I like the big highs to the north and even the cold that is around longer term but Is there something different in this setup that gives us hope that this thing is not going to trend 200 miles north yet again?  Looks like I will be burning plenty of wood the next couple of week though :shiver:

Thanks Chris! That was the first time I viewed one of your videos. It was a great wrap up of what all the models were showing. The only observation I can give is it's definitely a video created for people with our level of meteorological knowledge; meaning I got a lot out of it but my wife would not. As with all meteorologist you'll have to provide different kinds of output for your different types of audience.   

Thank you for the kind words!  I appreciate it.  

Thank you for the kind words..I wonder if we could actually see a S trend.

The models are trending south and they always underestimate the cold in the cad regions! If we get the precip in here right at daybreak , we may have a shot at some pretty dicy weather! Maybe we get the finger of precip that comes ahead of the storms alot of the times and lay down a crusty dusting!? In situ cad can work, it's all about timing.

VERY good point!!

Is the south shift real?  Will it last?  I think tonights 00z and especially the 12z runs are very very important.  Why?  We have seen a huge shift in the models around that HR120 timeframe with these storms.  Then there seems to be more shifting, although not as much, around the D3 timeframe.  BIG runs coming up.

Yep.  Crap is crap.  You can't get more circular than that.

On a more serious note, I think this Tuesday storm still has quite the potential for NW of I-85 in NC.  I like my chances in the lee of the Apps for this one.  Gulf moisture or overrunning precipitation from the south always stands a chance at being wintry here in Hickory.  The cold, dry air that will be present on Sunday will not fade away too easily, and I'm with NCSNOW in being on board to break the shutout.  (BTW, no asterisk needed for my locale as I have yet to even see a flake IMBY this winter season.)

Archived