• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

The 6z gfs was a perfect scenario for a lot of us in the SE. The ridge out west looked good and the trough axis went negative at the perfect time. There are different ways for some of us to get snow out of the setup being shown but we need it to happen exactly like the 6z gfs for a big dog!

Completely agree. That trailing piece of energy has been showing up on the previous GFS runs but it just dries up. The 6z is juicier due to a two branch phase I believe.

Without any blocking, we need a situation where a storm system is right in the heels of another before cold air erodes .

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still pumped for the week of 2/13- 2/20 for triad area. Nice artic plunge starts tommorrow and keeps us well below normal for a long time. That's a given. Then it looks like ice mix coming Tuesday, with the potential for a bigger deal right behind it for late wed/ thurs.

Even if Tuesday wave cuts, we are gonna see a front end thump of frzng precip. May change over to 33 degree rain after a couple hours who knows

I still have to run with the king here...ensemble mean is getting figured out and still west. Still, though, a handful (19ish/50) give the SE, especially the foothills, a pretty decent event...Still worth watching but we have to get lucky here. The members that do show big events over the SE and central NC are Miller-A type systems with a gulf tap and a sub 1001-1000mb storm off the coast with some perfect tracks with a very stout wedge in place. That's what I mean by lucky. Anyway, I think we have a slim chance as long as we keep seeing a handful of members with other solutions, but I wouldn't go to Vegas with it.

Edit: Talking about the Tuesday storm here, the big snow producers I thought was the Tuesday storm is actually the trailing Thursday storm, hard to differentiate on means when these systems are so close. Now with that said, I'd definitely write off the Tuesday system, at least for me.

rQzHM0B.png

I still have to run with the king here...ensemble mean is getting figured out and still west. Still, though, a handful (19ish/50) give the SE, especially the foothills, a pretty decent event...Still worth watching but we have to get lucky here. The members that do show big events over the SE and central NC are Miller-A type systems with a gulf tap and a sub 1001-1000mb storm off the coast with some perfect tracks with a very stout wedge in place. That's what I mean by lucky. Anyway, I think we have a slim chance as long as we keep seeing a handful of members with other solutions, but I wouldn't go to Vegas with it.

rQzHM0B.png

You talking Tuesday storm only?

How bout the trailing/Thursday storm?

You talking Tuesday storm only?

How bout the trailing/Thursday storm?

Sorry, I guess what I'm seeing as the big snow producers is, in fact, the trailing storm, but I was talking about the Tuesday storm in my post. Whether or not that second storm even materializes is up for debate...when I was looking at the means after the Tuesday storm the cold just takes over, there are some members in the middle of highs giving us snow, and others off the coast. What we'd hope for obviously for the second one is a bomb, otherwise the air would just be too dry and suppress the system as I'm sure many know. These systems are way too close for the models to figure out the second one any time soon but I think the first is cooked.

The 6z gfs was a perfect scenario for a lot of us in the SE.  The ridge out west looked good and the trough axis went negative at the perfect time.  There are different ways for some of us to get snow out of the setup being shown but we need it to happen exactly like the 6z gfs for a big dog!

Edit: I'm talking about the 2/19 storm above.  I still believe the 2/17 storm will cut.

Just getting around to looking at the GFS, the 6z solution...the track, cold, and strength of the low is perfect for RDU and east, and all of NC basically. Clown map has 12-17" in the coastal plains. I hate being in the bulls eye this far out, amazing look...I think the Euro EPS members had similar looks in fact I'm almost positive (I talked about it in an above post)...all-in or bust on the mid-late week system.

Just getting around to looking at the GFS, the 6z solution...the track, cold, and strength of the low is perfect for RDU and east, and all of NC basically. Clown map has 12-17" in the coastal plains. I hate being in the bulls eye this far out, amazing look...I think the Euro EPS members had similar looks in fact I'm almost positive (I talked about it in an above post)...all-in or bust on the mid-late week system.

Yeah, I'd be surprised to see that again on the 12z.

Just looking at early panels of the 12z gfs the Tuesday system is going to cut imo.

Yeah, that high looks better, coming in faster but not fast enough. The parade of highs needs to speed up for the Tues system. The difference in the location of the high from 00z to the 12z is insane at 138

Of course I get busy at work right when the 12z is running.  Like Jon said, we need the high to be quicker so the Tuesday storm doesn't cut.  Hard to believe we get a cutter in between to strong HP's.  With the strength of the second HP, it's going to squash anything south.

Archived