wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like we probably start out with some accumulating snow, then go over to some ice, then rain, per the 00z GFS.

At this point, I'd take it...  I hate seeing rain fall on snow, but we can't be picky this winter.

I think taking a blend of all the models from today so far, for those west of 77 in NC its snow to sleet/fzra.

I think taking a blend of all the models from today so far, for those west of 77 in NC its snow to sleet/fzra.

It looks like every model has us in the NW Piedmont and foothills going over to rain at some point (sans the Ukie).  I just hope for some front-end winnage.  Then again, I guess we can hug the UKMET and it's uber-cold solution at the surface.

All four major models have significant storms at the moment (though the GFS' event being significant might be a stretch, but it's a good .2" of frozen precip at least).

Get the worst runs from the gfs and it's still warning criteria. No way switch to rain in th as t scenerio, dps are below 0 when moisture and wetbulb in begins. Monumental mountain to climb to get above freezing. But we can discuss that in a few day if neccesary provided the gfs is correct, which it aint.

I agree with all of this.

More sleet your way james?

The Model Center's P-type algorithm spits out 1-2" of snow, 0.25-0.5" of sleet, and 0.5-0.75" of ZR. :yikes: We're still barely holding onto 31ish degree temps at hr 144 (as far as I have), so it will probably go over to rain afterwards.

EDIT: Actually, the wedge goes into beast-mode and we mostly hold onto sub-freezing temps through hr 150, with 0.75-1" of ZR falling.  Portions of NW SC are the bullseye with ~1.25" of ZR.  I-85 is a warzone.  Big ZR storm basically from Chapel Hill to CLT N/W into NW SC.  The foothills look to have more sleet.

Well damn, my #s will be off. More ZR on the way on further frames. I'm sure someone will get that posted up for you guys.

The big 1.25 ZR # has shifted to the upstate though.  KCAE with a glaze mainly.

Upstate sees no snow per say, but sleet & ZR.

NE GA, W NC/Central, Upstate SC bullseye for the ice storm part.

Archived