gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z canadian not as cold as the 0z run in general. a lot faster with the surface low. however i do question it driving the surface low right over atlanta and into the heart of the wedge. Would make for quite a temp contrast though.  32 in hartwell while it's nearly 50 in atlanta tue afternoon.

gem_T2m_seus_22.png

12z canadian not as cold as the 0z run in general. a lot faster with the surface low. however i do question it driving the surface low right over atlanta and into the heart of the wedge. Would make for quite a temp contrast though.  32 in hartwell while it's nearly 50 in atlanta tue afternoon.

gem_T2m_seus_22.png

Wondering if the CMC sees the HPS out over the Atlantic allowing it to ride North?  If the HPS was up over Virginia it would not allow it to come that direction.  Just a guess on my part.

Seeing an area of 1.50" of ZR into Upstate SC. Big swatch of 1" or more into NC. With the UKMET shifting North also, I think KCAE could possibly squeak out of this one without much ice if any.

Shawn,

I thought it was very rare if not impossible to have that type of ice storm. The dynamic cooling or the cold air leaving would not let an ice storm last that long. Is that not correct? 

Seeing an area of 1.50" of ZR into Upstate SC. Big swatch of 1" or more into NC. With the UKMET shifting North also, I think KCAE could possibly squeak out of this one without much ice if any.

Keep in mind the canadian is likely too warm by at least 2 or 3 degrees. Last night I felt like it was possibly as much as 4 degrees too warm based on wetbulbs vs it's projected lowest temp.

Wondering if the CMC sees the HPS out over the Atlantic allowing it to ride North?  If the HPS was up over Virginia it would not allow it to come that direction.  Just a guess on my part.

I have serious doubts about the 12z canadian for a few reasons. for starters, again, surface wetbulbs argue for cooling more than projected..and  when the models under estimate the amount of cold air with the wedge they often will drive the surface low too far north into the wedge which in turn over estimates the amount of warming that goes along with it. So the amount of warming in north ga/central south carolina/columbia is probably over done for both those reasons.   There still would be a lot of ice in far northeast ga before going to rain  and It still manages to hang on subfreezing temps throughout the entire event in the upstate

Shawn,

I thought it was very rare if not impossible to have that type of ice storm. The dynamic cooling or the cold air leaving would not let an ice storm last that long. Is that not correct? 

I don't have pure raw sounding data or any of that off the GGEM, but latent heat due to ZR can affect temperatures yes.  In fact, heavy ZR is the worst thing because it will release more heat faster etc.  That is if you want the ice storm.

Keep in mind the canadian is likely too warm by at least 2 or 3 degrees. Last night I felt like it was possibly as much as 4 degrees too warm based on wetbulbs vs it's projected lowest temp.

I have serious doubts about the 12z canadian for a few reasons. for starters, again, surface wetbulbs argue for cooling more than projected..and  when the models under estimate the amount of cold air with the wedge they often will drive the surface low too far north into the wedge which in turn over estimates the amount of warming that goes along with it. So the amount of warming in north ga/central south carolina/columbia is probably over done for both those reasons.   There still would be a lot of ice in far northeast ga before going to rain  and It still manages to hang on subfreezing temps throughout the entire event in the upstate

That's something I'll be watching closely. You nailed the Jan event last year imby, while I was expecting more ice than snow/ip.  As it stands now(verbatim) mby is a chilly rain/warm rain/rnsn to end   ;) 

12z GEFS continuing the track through GA/SC. If the Euro runs the same play, we have a rough area between ATL/MACON & Orangebug/CAE for the path. Of course, this is just a rough track and has to be figured out because it can have severe implications on ptype for some.

Archived