northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

btw, surface low is south of the canadian. southeast alabama/or around columbus or a little south of there. heavy precip everywhere by 138. cold air coming in from the back end... freezing line goes from just west of atlanta to the nc/sc/ga border to gso. Some back end snow in northern alabama, northwest ga/mountains.

I dont know if you remember this event but December 2000 had this huge warm front that pushed CLT up to 62 degrees. The front never made it to Gastonia which remained in the 30's. Pretty cool event. 

It think I do. I was living in Mint Hill at the time and it was near 70 at my house. I've a few interesting cases where the warm front was rocketing northwest through Monroe, Rock Hill, and Charlotte then it hit the brakes once it gets to Gaston Co.  March 3rd 2012 CLT was 64 while I was at 54 and im 3.6 miles wnw of the airport.

i don't envy the nws. Very tough and dynamic system to forecast for. It's much colder during the heart of the event for north ga/upsate. Went from 40s and 50s to low to mid 30s before dropping again. My gut feeling is the euro would probably mean temps never get above freezing for large sections of north ga and the upstate..and obviously the damming regions of north carolina.  since it goes from the 20s and snow, to barely above freezing then actually moves the freezing line back south from the northeast initially then from the northwest.

i don't envy the nws. Very tough and dynamic system to forecast for. It's much colder during the heart of the event for north ga/upsate. Went from 40s and 50s to low to mid 30s before dropping again. My gut feeling is the euro would probably mean temps never get above freezing for large sections of north ga and the upstate..and obviously the damming regions of north carolina.  since it goes from the 20s and snow, to above freezing then actually moves the freezing line back south from the northeast initially then from the northwest.

I would agree with this. I think the CAD will hang in longer and keep temps at or below 32. 

i don't envy the nws. Very tough and dynamic system to forecast for. It's much colder during the heart of the event for north ga/upsate. Went from 40s and 50s to low to mid 30s before dropping again. My gut feeling is the euro would probably mean temps never get above freezing for large sections of north ga and the upstate..and obviously the damming regions of north carolina.  since it goes from the 20s and snow, to barely above freezing then actually moves the freezing line back south from the northeast initially then from the northwest.

I'm interested to here their afternoon discussions. I would expect that they add this threat to the Hazardous Outlook.

Euro is now a major winter storm for almost the entire CLT metro. Worse as you head N&W like usual but another dramatic shift. 

Sure is. 1 to 1.5 inch liquid over the mountains and 1.5 or greater over the rest of nc. 1.5 to 2 inch liquid over north ga/upstate. This is a BIG winter storm too for northern alabama with 1 inch liquid and a lot of that being snow. Far northwest ga too..looks like snow to ice, then back to snow for areas north of rome toward chattanooga.

Well, the Euro ended up a major mess in the CAD areas.  Here's a "snowfall" map I saw in the MA thread.  Regardless of type, this is a ton of frozen precip.

I like EuroWx snowfall maps, they seem to have it right. WxBell throws out 9" at RDU yet only 0.2" falls with 850mb temps below freezing. The gradient, as far as snow is concerned, looks right here....until you get to the 15"+ not sure on that.

Quite a weenie run indeed, gives 5 inches to Metro ATL and up to a foot in the southern Apps. If only this were to verify...

Why post this snowfall output? 300 some odd people are going to run with it. That's not snow in ATL 850s are nowhere near 0 for the most of the precip. Same with RDU, 0.2" falls with 850mb finally below 0c..should be 2" snow in Raleigh not 9"

Why post this snowfall output? 300 some odd people are going to run with it. That's not snow in ATL 850s are nowhere near 0 for the most of the precip. Same with RDU, 0.2" falls with 850mb finally below 0c..should be 2" snow in Raleigh not 9"

I'm now on my phone but if I remember correctly the Euro was more than 2" for the RDU area. Most of the snow falls after that hr 144 mark when the trough axis goes negative. I'll double check that when I get back k to computer.

Edit: BTW, I agree about the posting of snow maps. They are entertainment only.

I'm now on my phone but if I remember correctly the Euro was more than 2" for the RDU area. Most of the snow falls after that hr 144 mark when the trough axis goes negative. I'll double check that when I get back k to computer.

I only have 6 hour frames but 2" is even more than EuroWx maps gave RDU. At 138 0.5" is the previous 6hr precip at RDU and that's not snow, at 144hrs it's right at 2C at 850mb over RDU, 6 hr precip from 144-150hrs is 0.2" for RDU.

Archived